thePlenty.net Forums
A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation (/thread-247.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - Albertosaurus Rex - Feb-05-2011

Actually, it might be quicker. GRRM apparently edits the book along the way and supposedly 90% of the book is already "locked in".

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - 'thul - Feb-05-2011

ahh... good...

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - Nuytsia - Feb-07-2011

(Feb-04-2011, 12:50 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: There is no WAY I am starting ASOIAF until the next one's done! Possibly he is secretly quite close to releasing it and all of these other projects are just to gain a suspenseful interest, new audience and escalated momentum in preparation for it hitting the shops soon? A bit of self-marketing?

I would have said that was a possibility, except for the fact that the last book took a really long time too. I think each one is taking longer than the last, roughly. I think it is probably a genuine problem with burnout from working on such a huge, complicated story for so long.

(Feb-04-2011, 12:50 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Hmm...I see on Pat's Fantasy Hotlist that they are also releasing a new HBO/TV tie-in edition of A Game of Thrones

oh really? interesting!

(Feb-04-2011, 12:50 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: After all, it is to also be the last installment in the series isn't it?

oh dear, poor, poor Farseer. Ouch

(Feb-04-2011, 12:50 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: what is the position with GRRM's publishers etc?

I've often wondered about that!

(Feb-04-2011, 12:50 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote:
Quote:Martin has been criticized by many fans for the long delay between books in the A Song of Ice and Fire series, most recently the many-year gap before the next volume, A Dance with Dragons, which has led the author to respond, accusing angry fans of unfairly demanding he devote all his time to the series.
I'm not sure how long ago this was added but what say all of you?

I don't know how long ago it was added either, but it would still be accurate today!

I can sort of see both sides..... I mean it takes the time it takes.
No-one wants something that is not the best it can be. Only the author knows how much time they need, and when the book is done. But by the same token, I can see why people are frustrated and I don't understand why GRRM seems so pissed off at people who complain about the wait. I kind of feel like it is a VERY long time sooooo he should be able to take a bit of criticism in stride!
To be honest I think I have stopped 'waiting' for it!!

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - Farseer - Feb-07-2011

Smiling I would really love to have an opportunity to pick these authors' brains, I tell you! I think it is FASCINATING how they differ in their approaches to their writing eg Here am I thinking it's the last ASOIAF book Big Grin, and yet there are two to go when this one's done, with the title names of both obviously already released to the public and they haven't even been written yet (talk about put pressure on yourself!)...on the other hand, we have the ROTE books with RH not even sure which direction she's going in, waiting instead for characters to tell her what's what, like the Fool. Some authors begin from the end and work back, others start from the beginning and work forward, some with an idea or a moral and others from a single character.

Yes, I agree that there has to be give and take between both the readers and the author.

The question is, will all of you ASOIAF fans be looking to purchase the comics? Smiling

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - Albertosaurus Rex - Feb-07-2011

As I have stated in my opening post, I am really not enthusiastic. It feels so redundant to me. But then again, I wish there wasn't a tv adaptation either. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it will be good. But sometimes I wish we would leave stories alone. Things that work in one medium often don't work in another. Even a great movie/tv adpatation will overshadow the original work. It's easier to watch than to read. many people will never seek out the original work, yet think they don't need to because they have seen the movie. Or read the comic.

That said, I did catch myself thinking that The Stone Dance of the Chameleon would work great as a cartoon. The books are a very heavy read, but everything is described very vividly so I can totally see it as an animated series. It would probably have to be anime though - seeing as western animation is usually for kids and this story is totally unsuitable for kids.

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - 'thul - Feb-07-2011

A lot of fantasy stories (the more complex ones) would probably work best in animated form... not because of the creatures that come and go (CGI can generally manage them), but because of the vast distances... Changing the point of view can also be of great benefit, since then one does not have to change as many details to make it unique.

By animated form, these beings refer to the style in that star wars clone wars series...

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - Nuytsia - Feb-08-2011

(Feb-07-2011, 01:44 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: The question is, will all of you ASOIAF fans be looking to purchase the comics? Smiling

Not me.

Yes Albertosaurus I'm a bit ambivalent about TV/movie adaptations....... I think I've said before I don't think I could watch one if it was about RoTE !!!

With the GoT one I will sort of view it as a separate entity from the books..... I don't think I'd enjoy it as much as the books and I'm really interested in it for curiosity's sake - eg how have they gone about adapting it to TV? - rather than as something I will hugely enjoy for it's own sake.

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - Albertosaurus Rex - Feb-08-2011

Exactly. I will probably watch it, but for the reasons you mentioned.

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - Farseer - Feb-08-2011

Actually I have just finished watching an episode of the anime version of the Deltora Quest books for the very same reasons. I almost chose not to though as they, and ROTE, are both like hallowed turf to me! So many things could make me crazy if I let them, but I will continue to watch the rest (though it will take my daughter and I the next month or so to get through them all!), to see how things develop.

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - 'thul - Feb-08-2011

The one thing that would be nice to see from RotE in good movie quality would be someone changing into an elderling... Just think of the level of detail required...

hopefully game of thrones will not suffer from severe adaption decay.