thePlenty.net Forums
A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation (/thread-247.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - Albertosaurus Rex - Feb-08-2011

(Feb-07-2011, 06:24 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: A lot of fantasy stories (the more complex ones) would probably work best in animated form... not because of the creatures that come and go (CGI can generally manage them), but because of the vast distances... Changing the point of view can also be of great benefit, since then one does not have to change as many details to make it unique.

By animated form, these beings refer to the style in that star wars clone wars series...

It's such a shame animation is so underrated in the west. I can't imagine a fantasy story being anything else than fiendishly hard to make it work as live-action.

I think a very telling example is the Avatar: The Last Airbender movie. Why did we need a live-action film if the cartoon was so good? Does it make the story better? Apparently, the answer is a resounding "no".

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - 'thul - Feb-08-2011

Apparently a lot of cartoon animation died after the golden days of looney tunes... some of the last created (of the great stuff) was spielberg's animaniacs, which ended in 1998...

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - Albertosaurus Rex - Feb-08-2011

I have to admit that I've not seen much of Animaniacs. The thing that puzzles me is this: originally, animation wasn't seen as being exclusively for kids. Old cartoon shorts, or even long films like Disney's Snow White, weren't targeted towards kids. And yet somehow, the audience's perception shifted. I don't really understand how that happened, but then again I'm no expert on the subject. I mean, as I noted in my thread about anime, this perception is not shared by the Japanese.

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - 'thul - Feb-08-2011

These beings do not share that perspective, but unfortunately a large portion of those making them have it... One reason that can take some of the blame is the fact that there is less effort required to entertain the children than the adults and thus cheaper, which results in more profit...

If someone started producing more looney tunes style cartoons, they would no doubt be able to capture a lot of the audiences of higher age as well... Or for that matter the complex stories inherent to the ancient disney movies... have the cartoons use a true script like other movies, rather than merely a boiled-down profitmongering storyline...

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - Farseer - Feb-20-2011

(Feb-03-2011, 09:39 AM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Look, I don't know why it's taking the guy so long to write A Dance with Dragons,

You may have seen this already but I thought it was kind of relevant to our previous discussions? Not really anything to do with why other projects are being undertaken though, which was what prompted the original query. P

Though I would never choose them for myself, I LOVED the rings!

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - Albertosaurus Rex - Feb-20-2011

It's very sweet, but I think many people expected something else when they read "BIG news". Including, you know, me. Ah well, writers are only human beings, and I'm happy for the guy. I may heve been a little hard on him in this thread, but I really like his writing and should be thankful for what he has already written.

Still a bit cynical on the Doorways comic though...

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - Farseer - Feb-21-2011

(Feb-20-2011, 10:40 AM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: It's very sweet, but I think many people expected something else when they read "BIG news". Including, you know, me.

Big Grin Clapping

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - redchild - Feb-21-2011

I can imagine when he DOES announce a release date for Dance of Dragons: "oh, btw guys just a side note here...*aDoD release date* ....but it's not like it's anything to get excited over."

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - Nuytsia - Feb-21-2011

Yeah, sometimes I even check out his 'Update' page on ADWD to see if he maybe , updated it..... and for some reason didn't think to mention it in his blog!!!
Hehehe silly me.

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire comic book adaptation - Farseer - Dec-10-2012

I think I have overlooked this thread recently, and plonked ASoIaF graphic novel updates in the main ASoIaF thread, but, doing things as I ought today, here now is an update I've just found on the Australian Harper Voyager/Voyager Online site:

The 'A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel Volume 2' by George R.R. Martin, and adapted by Daniel Abraham & Tommy Patterson, will be released in June 2013 (in Australia, at least P ).