thePlenty.net Forums
Growing Food and Animal Husbandry, Including Pics! - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Growing Food and Animal Husbandry, Including Pics! (/thread-256.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Growing Food and Animal Husbandry, Including Pics! - Nuytsia - Feb-24-2011

I thought I'd start a dedicated thread for these topics, since I tend to like to waffle on about them in other threads and maybe not everyone is interested in these topics Blink

Now I can go on about it here! Yay!! Clapping

Anyhoo, the weather has been really overcast and mild here this summer, so some things are struggling to make much growth outdoors.

Luckily I decided to grow some insurance plants indoors as an experiment! This has turned out really well so far with capsicums ......

[Image: 182965_1875050156546_1249962217_2190622_4256453_s.jpg]

RE: Growing Food and Animal Husbandry, Including Pics! - Farseer - Feb-26-2011

I'll be happy to join in with this thread (though will have to do something about my photos first eg photo bucket!). Love the topic, and a great idea to grow capsicums indoors, Nuytsia!!! Yay

RE: Growing Food and Animal Husbandry, Including Pics! - 'thul - Feb-26-2011

These beings have had a couple of dead cacti... they died not from drought or over-watering, but from maltreatment... The pots did not have any good places to be, so they got knocked over.

'thul also has a resurrection plant in a box somewhere, but not gotten around to planting it...

RE: Growing Food and Animal Husbandry, Including Pics! - Nuytsia - Feb-27-2011

Hey my pic is tiny!
They changed the way they show pics on Facebook ...... must be something to do with that (it's a link to that)

Farseer this will freak you out I bet, my tomatoes are still not ripe! (yours are virtually all year round or something, right?)
BUT they DO have lots of fruit and it HASNT been eaten by anything.... YAY!

Bad news is SOMETHING ate my alpine strawberry plants..... waaaaah (no strawberries yet, just the plants). I cannot be sure it was not an animal as our fence seems to be breachable..... but I THINK it may have been a bird, as nothing else was touched. Hmmmmm not sure what bird eats strawberry plants though..... Uhhuh

Our chooks haven't started laying yet.... but their combs look bigger and their tails so I guess they are growing.....
My mum's coming over for a visit in about a week's time so it doesn't look like she'll be having any fresh eggs Undecided

RE: Growing Food and Animal Husbandry, Including Pics! - 'thul - Feb-27-2011

hmm... tomatoes... ahh... yes... 'thul recalls one dog that had a tendency to like eating them... directly from the plants at that...

RE: Growing Food and Animal Husbandry, Including Pics! - Nuytsia - Feb-28-2011

You're not the first person that's said that to me!
Lucky we don't have a dog!

RE: Growing Food and Animal Husbandry, Including Pics! - 'thul - Feb-28-2011

dogs are nice animals... but they do get cranky when old...

This last summer the same dog started eating strawberries as well...

RE: Growing Food and Animal Husbandry, Including Pics! - Mervi - Mar-02-2011

Could be the dog is looking for something that is missing from his diet. The digestive mechanism of older dogs changes and they often require different sort food from what used to be good when they were younger. Could be a vitamin deficiency or a need for extra fiber - or simply a new acquired taste. Smiling Anyway, I'd ask the vet during the next check-up. Slurp

RE: Growing Food and Animal Husbandry, Including Pics! - 'thul - Mar-02-2011

well, the next time that dog is likely to go to a veterinarian is for its lethal injection... its 13 years old, and in somewhat bad health... For one, it has a major hip problem and has trouble walking on any type of floor without carpeting or similar...

RE: Growing Food and Animal Husbandry, Including Pics! - Farseer - Mar-06-2011

Just out of interest, is the hip problem merely from age, 'thul? Or is it due to having had a previous hip condition eg Perthes Disease?