thePlenty.net Forums
[split] Robin's Australia Tour 2011 - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Upcoming books & other RH news (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: [split] Robin's Australia Tour 2011 (/thread-261.html)

Pages: 1 2

[split] Robin's Australia Tour 2011 - Farseer - Feb-16-2011

I've amended my old 'Releases' thread title to include 'News', just so we have somewhere to put odd RH and ML-related things that come up (seeing as we can't amend the front news page at present?). We have lots of lurkers and/or people who don't overly hang around the newsgroup or the RH site so I thought it wouldn't hurt to have these things firmly noted down within the forum?

Ah, I'm not sure if it is a helpful idea or not, knowing that we can sometimes inject certain things into specific threads eg Jussi posting the colour cover of The Inheritance into that thread anyway?

Anyhow...for the time being I mainly just wanted to note down specific dates and details regarding Robin's upcoming visit to Australia, though I also know we've chatted about it briefly elsewhere here.

ROBIN HOBB'S AUSTRALIAN TRIP

Robin will arrive in Australia on March 31st, which is the day before the release of The Inheritance on April 1st. Yay

She will be attending the Supanova Pop Culture Expo as a special guest in Brisbane and Melbourne, with a stop-over in Sydney in between.

Brisbane - April 1st to 3rd

Melbourne - April 8th to 10th

Robin is scheduled for all three days of both events. Times seem to vary from source to source but, going on the Supanova site info, apparently she will appear each Saturday from 10.30am to 5.30pm and each Sunday from 11am to 5pm for autograph and photo sessions, as well as Q&A sessions at each expo.

In Brisbane on the Sunday, Robin mentioned in her newsgroup that she will be there from 10am to 5pm. There's a signing session at 11am, and a Q&A at 1:30pm, followed by another signing session. She will do a reading at 4pm. I'm thinking this will be the day I attend, if not the Saturday.

EDIT: I've asked Robin if she wouldn't mind giving me the specifics for every day of both events, that way we can know exactly where she will be and when. Will pass this on if/when I hear anything. Smiling

Anyone else from here going to Brisbane? It would be great to catch up, even if there's only time to say g'day?

RE: News and Releases - Farseer - Feb-17-2011

Hot off the press, Robin has provided these further details of her Australian trip for us via her newsgroup. Please understand that, as yet, nothing is set in concrete though, as per Robin's introductory comment!

Quote:Bear in mind that this is all tentative!

For both cities: 9:30 Leave my hotel 10:30 to 12:30 Signing session 12:30 to 1:30 Lunch (They may feed us on site, or I may be free to wander off with friends. No idea on that.) 1:30 to 2:30 Question and Answer session 2:30 to 3:30 Signing 3:30 to 4 Tea break 4 to 5:30 Signing 5:30 back to hotel Then I've time to myself until 8:30, when there is some sort of gathering. The above is the Saturday Schedule.

Sunday starts at 10 11-12:30 is signing 12:30 to 1:30 is lunch 1:30 to 2:30 is Q and A 2:30 to 3:30 signing 3:30 to 4 is tea 4-5 reading 5 back to hotel. And Possibly free to hang out with friends.

But it is also required of me that I make myself available for 'public relations activities' which can be interviews or meetings or whatever. And those can be suddenly put onto the schedule.

The schedule is the same for both Brisbane and Melbourne. I will be in Sydney for a couple of days. And I definitely have a signing there but details are not fixed yet.

More as I know it!

Robin

"Possibly free to hang out with friends" or possibly being available for lunch sounds promising!!! Yay

Good news for Sydney fans as well Smiling .

RE: News and Releases - Nuytsia - Feb-21-2011

Thanks for posting these Farseer!
I'm hoping to be able to go to see Robin in Melbourne....

RE: News and Releases - Farseer - Feb-24-2011

Copying and pasting this new post from Robin via her newsgroup re her visit to Australia (I haven't even read it yet!):

Quote:As I hope you know by now, I'll be at SupaNova in Brisbane and Melborne. I will also have a day or so in between in Sydney.
Right now, the schedule looks pretty full (I just got an update) but I'd still like to have some time with my newsgroup friends outside of the regular events.

So, would anyone be up for something odd, like an early morning breakfast in Brisbane, like at 7AM, or a late night meeting in Brisbane, after I'm off the official clock? Same question for Melborne and Sydney!

Let me know what days you'll be in which cities, and let's see if we can't set up a time and a place, even if it's just for a cup of coffee together.

If we can find a time that isn't booked yet, I can ask for it for us.

Some times that might work: BRISBANE Early Saturday, April 2 (I'd have to be back at my hotel by 9:30 AM) Early Sunday, April 3 (Back to hotel by 10.) Monday April 4 in Brisbane (deceptively empty on the schedule right now, so if we asked for a lunch date, we might get it. Or not.)

SYDNEY Possibly lunch time on April 5 Or Breakfast or lunch meeting on April 6 Maybe breakfast on April 7

MELBOURNE Early Saturday (have to be at hotel by 9AM) Early Sunday(Have to be back at hotel by 10 AM) Monday, April 11 looks like is has some room on it.

No promises, but it would be fun to meet some of you for real!

Best wishes,

Robin

Ah, I realise I'm the fill-in "mod" (and should therefore know what I'm doing! P ) but you'll tell me if you think this is kind of spammish, won't you?! I think it's acceptable but...Undecided *shrugs*

I did also let Robin know that I'd be sharing her newsgroup info regarding the trip here on thePlenty.

RE: News and Releases - 'thul - Feb-24-2011

These beings do not see it as particularly spammy... Merely as informative...

RE: News and Releases - Mervi - Mar-02-2011

Good job Farseer! Smiling I think I should figure out a way to get you access to the script that updates the main page news...
(Meanwhile, I'll steal your hard work and post an update there very soon!) Angel

RE: News and Releases - Nuytsia - Mar-02-2011

Hi Mervi!
Wink

RE: [split] Robin's Australia Tour 2011 - Mervi - Mar-31-2011

Guys, do you have any info on the Sydney event? I'm planning on posting something about the Australia tour in the main news page before the tour starts officially, but all the official site's got is the location, "Dendy Newtown Theatre" - there's no time or address etc and googling didn't really help on that either - it seems to be a cinema/movie theater (which term do you guys use btw? P)

RE: [split] Robin's Australia Tour 2011 - Farseer - Apr-01-2011

Sorry Mervi, this wireless thumbdrive is making me nuts!

All info can be found here on the 'Appearances' tab on Robin's site. This is what there is regarding Sydney:

Quote:04/06/11 in Sydney, Australia Dendy Newtown Theatre AU Time: 6:30pm. Admission: $20. Age restrictions: All Ages. Box office: 02 9956 6771. Address: Dendy Newtown, 251 – 263 King Street, Newtown, Sydney, Australia. Venue phone: 02 9956 6771. Tickets are $20, available for purchase before the night through Dymocks 02 9956 6771 or by emailing nsydney@dymocks.com.au. The venue is a movie cinema, giving attendees some nice seats and a good seating capacity to fit them all in. Books will be available for purchase at the event.

Hope this helps! Smiling

ps During the Supernova events, Robin has mentioned that her books will "be on sale...in a buy two books of a triogy, get the third one free" deal.

ps For those of us who are Australians, and read/write dates differently to those in the US (and possibly elsewhere?) the date IS definitely April 6th, not June 4th! Big Grin

RE: [split] Robin's Australia Tour 2011 - Mervi - Apr-01-2011

Thanks Farseer! And you know we're all eagerly waiting for your report when you get back... Wink