thePlenty.net Forums
If fantasy could be true (contains some RotE spoilers so beware) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: If fantasy could be true (contains some RotE spoilers so beware) (/thread-289.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: If fantasy could be true (contains some RotE spoilers so beware) - finella - Jun-29-2011

I think the Wit is a fascinating power, which I would like to have.

I’d love to be a dragon rider of Pern (Anne McCaffrey). The imagination of experiencing such a deep bond of everlasting love and understanding to a completely different creature really fascinates me. And if a dragon wouldn’t chose me, I would try to get the egg of a fire lizzard Wink.

RE: If fantasy could be true (contains some RotE spoilers so beware) - Nuytsia - Jul-01-2011

Good idea for a thread!!

I can't believe no-one said 'Star Trek teleporters' yet!!!!

Travelling can be great fun, but sometimes it would be SO GOOD to instantly be somewhere you need to be.

RE: If fantasy could be true (contains some RotE spoilers so beware) - finella - Jul-07-2011

(Jul-01-2011, 03:32 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Travelling can be great fun, but sometimes it would be SO GOOD to instantly be somewhere you need to be.

Well, the Pern-Dragons are able to move between date and place within some seconds. They "only" need an exact mental picture of the destination.

RE: If fantasy could be true (contains some RotE spoilers so beware) - fool-ish - Jul-09-2011

(Jun-27-2011, 02:44 PM (UTC))Omie Wrote: The very last thing I would wish to be real is magic. Magic is... the opposite of nature. Some people would say that of science, but only because they are ignorant of what science actually is and what it means. Nature is stuff happening. Science is why.

The world is amazing, wondrous, beautiful, devastating and powerful enough already. Bees buzz, birds call, leaves fall and tides happen and none of that requires even a glimmer of magic. I will never understand the people who say 'There's more to the world than what you see!'. Have you seen the world? How could you possibly ask for more?

But... I'm still a sucker for fantasy. I don't read fantasy to escape into impossible worlds, just to experience them for a little bit. Sometimes I wish I could walk in the landscapes described by some authors. I love walking. Robin Hobb's books are particularly descriptive of the landscapes and I tend to get an overwhelming urge to go hiking while I'm reading her books. Sometimes when I do hike I look around and imagine its a fantasy place, too. Not that that would make it better, it's just fun to imagine I'm doing something epic for a while. There's a place quite near me called Blackstone Edge and I know I'll not be able to look at the plateaus of black rock again without thinking 'Memory stone!'.

Oh, and I get very envious of the hardiness and self-suffiency of some fantasy characters. If I was picked up and plopped down into a fantasy quest I think I'd die before the first night was over. For starters, i have no idea how to hunt or light a fire from scratch. I could hold a sword the right way up, but that's about it. The only traditional skill I possess is knitting, and that probably wouldn't help me much if I was a fantasy character on some epic quest. Oh no, a dragon is coming towards me! Do you suppose it wants a bobble hat?!

Blackstone Edge isn't all that far from me either. I must go again and see if I can lose myself thinking about Memory stone Smiling

RE: If fantasy could be true (contains some RotE spoilers so beware) - redchild - Aug-30-2011

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE SAYINGG

RE: If fantasy could be true (contains some RotE spoilers so beware) - Farseer - Aug-30-2011

Big Grin redchild is not responding to any member here but rather to a post (which I have since deleted) made by a non-English-speaking spammer (who I have since banned!).

Thanks for the reports, redchild! Flowers Glad I found the extras too...they were busy! Rant

RE: If fantasy could be true (contains some RotE spoilers so beware) - 'thul - Aug-30-2011

slight correction there...
non-english spambot, not spammer.

It showed all the classic signs of spambot.