thePlenty.net Forums
POVs you would like to have read (spoilers all books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: POVs you would like to have read (spoilers all books) (/thread-291.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: POVs you would like to have read (spoilers all books) - Albertosaurus Rex - Apr-10-2011

As a sidenote, this not about a character specifically, but I would really like a POV set in Chalced. Not just a Chalcedean character, like Kyle Haven, but someone who is actually in Chalced.

RE: POVs you would like to have read (spoilers all books) - Farseer - Feb-23-2012

Along with others I've mentioned, I would really have loved to have 'heard' from Patience. She would be a far cry from the person whom she pretends to be, me thinks.

Aside from that, I thought you may like to have a look at this conversation (on another site) regarding first person narratives, to add to the discussion we already have going here. While it is all very interesting, Robin/Fitz is spoken of about mid-way down the page and a little beyond.

RE: POVs you would like to have read (spoilers all books) - FoolishGirl - Feb-23-2012

I agree about Patience. She's very intriguing, that one.

Skimmed the article about first person. Glad to see the author gives RH props for using this device "perfectly". I have to admit I get fed up with a lot of first person narration but not much in Farseer and Tawny Man. Only when Fitz uses his acute observation skills to "see" something, but fails (refuses?) to interpret it correctly. For instance, Fitz witnessing the Fool's (to me) heart-wrenching reaction to Fitz's charm from Jinna. How does he not realize...?

RE: POVs you would like to have read (spoilers all books) - 'thul - Feb-23-2012

points of view are an very interesting thing... in 'thul's little story, its not unusual for it to suddenly switch from 1st to 3rd, particularly when covering large chunks of time.

RE: POVs you would like to have read (spoilers all books) - FoolishGirl - Feb-23-2012

(Feb-23-2012, 01:11 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: points of view are an very interesting thing... in 'thul's little story, its not unusual for it to suddenly switch from 1st to 3rd, particularly when covering large chunks of time.

I regret I haven't been keeping up with your story project, 'thul. Does the first person narrator stay the same throughout, or does it shift? How big are these chunks of time? Months, years, lifetimes?

RE: POVs you would like to have read (spoilers all books) - 'thul - Feb-23-2012

'thul will answer that in the right thread. Post quoted to there.

RE: POVs you would like to have read (spoilers all books) - Valarya - Feb-23-2012

Thanks for the link to that first-person narration essay, Farseer!!! That was a great read. Smiling

RE: POVs you would like to have read (spoilers all books) - Narya - Feb-24-2012

(Feb-23-2012, 01:11 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: points of view are an very interesting thing... in 'thul's little story, its not unusual for it to suddenly switch from 1st to 3rd, particularly when covering large chunks of time.

Wouldn't that be 4th to 6th, for y'all? (I make this quip, not having actually entered your story thread yet.)

Albertosaurus, I agree that I would not want to see Fool's point of view. I suspect it would be very non-human, and to have just a plain old narrative by him would be so banal.

RE: POVs you would like to have read (spoilers all books) - 'thul - Feb-24-2012

While technically possible, these beings have not replaced singular with plural in the story.

RE: POVs you would like to have read (spoilers all books) - Valarya - Feb-24-2012

Seeing in to the Fool's mind would be similar to venturing in to Varys's mind (from ASOIAF). It just should not be done.

@Albertsaurus, I just noticed you hoped to have a POV from someone in Chalced. Have you read City of Dragons yet? Wink