thePlenty.net Forums
What did you watch as a kid? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What did you watch as a kid? (/thread-294.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

What did you watch as a kid? - Albertosaurus Rex - Apr-05-2011

The title is pretty self explanatory, but let me share something with you guys first. In the old days, Dutch television had a "channel" called Kindernet. (Which translations roughly to "Children's Network"). This was the name given to a block of childrens' programmes that ran from the morning to early afternoon. Sadly, some seven years ago it vanished, and with it the programmes that used to run on it mostly dissapeared ftom the air too. Which was a real shame, because they were quite good and... I don't know how to put this... a very different kind than what is made today. I keep coming up with words like softer, gentler... there is a kind of beautiful innocence to those old shows.

Anyway, Kindernet returned to Dutch television yesterday, with many of the old shows. Obviously I'm too old to watch them now, but the idea of these programmes being watched again brings a smile to my face.And many people who used to watch it now have children of their own. Anyway, among the shows on Kindernet that I used to watch:

Barabapapa
Pim the Penguin (Not sure how this one's called abroad... EDIT: It's Scamper the Penguin)
The Smurfs
Dinobabies
Ovide and the gang
Wicky the Viking
Doctor Snuggles

Oh, to be four years old again... If only they could bring back the old style:

When I was a few years older, I discovered a block called Powertime. It consisted of two action-oriented programmes, the second of which was always Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, which then became my absolute favorite show. (In fact, I still have a soft spot for Power Rangers, despite the bad acting, weak stories, terrible special effects and ridiculous monsters.) The first show switched around: first it was Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (the comedic one), then Dungeons and Dragons, then a show about monster hunters that I didn't really like, and finally Transformers. You can believe me when I say that a session of Transformers followed by MMPR was the best thing EVER!

RE: What did you watch as a kid? - 'thul - Apr-05-2011

would that penguin be this one?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pingu

RE: What did you watch as a kid? - Albertosaurus Rex - Apr-05-2011

I'm afraid not. It was a cartoon, not a claymation show. It is very difficult to find information about it. The Dutch Wikipedia page calls it an "American-Japanese-Russian" cartoon, so I assume that there must be an English version somewhere...

...AHA, got it! A search on Youtube has identified it as "Scamper the Penguin". (Wikipedia page here. Before anyone asks, we definitely got the uncensored version in the Netherlands.)

RE: What did you watch as a kid? - danieladamsmith - Apr-08-2011

Well I was born in 68 so most of my childhood is Sixties reruns and Seventies shows....with a few older things mixed in...

The Honeymooners
The Little Rascals
Batman
Marine Boy
Johnny Quest
Star Blazers
Ultraman
Johnny Socko and his Flying Robot
The endless amount of Godzilla periphery...
Captain Scarlett
Thunderbirds
HR PUFF AND STUFF
LIDSVILLE...etc...

I am sure I'm missing some

RE: What did you watch as a kid? - Albertosaurus Rex - Apr-10-2011

Except for Thunderbirds, these things are unfamiliar to me, although I've heard of a few. It seems sad sometimes that these things seem destined to sooner or later fade away... like the Kindernet shows I mentioned that haven't been shown in the Netherlands for over a decade.

RE: What did you watch as a kid? - Farseer - Apr-15-2011

Playschool
Sesame Street
Mr Squiggle
Count Duckula
Inspector Gadget
Danger Mouse
Sooty and Sweep
Mysterious Cities of Gold
Countdown (loved it, especially as a teenager!!!)
Are You Being Served
The Young Ones
Minder
Robin's Nest
The Kenny Everett Video Show
George and Mildred
The Good Life
Eastenders
Astroboy
Jamie and the Magic Torch
It's the Wolf
The Banana Splits
Doctor Who (not to mention the years and years and years of re-runs!)
Metal Mickey
Lassie
Skippy
The Two Ronnies
Porridge
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em

Other shows I loved to watch throughout my youth are ones I have already mentioned in my post from the 'Favourite TV Shows' thread:

(Dec-26-2010, 02:29 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Catweazle
The Beachcombers
Worzel Gummage
Monkey
Seven Little Australians
Rush (starring John Waters)
Tenko
The Timeless Land
Swiss Family Robinson
The Goodies
Blake's 7
Gentle Ben
Degrassi Junior High (also The Kids of Degrassi Street)

Showing my age with these Blushing but most of these "favourites" were on here in Australia when I was very young. No doubt there are many I've missed!

We had only one TV station out on our sheep station (the ABC...the BEST TV station, I thought!!) and so some programs I only ever got to view when either away on holiday or when a friend/relative videotaped them and sent them in the mail:

The Transformers
The A Team
The Smurfs
North and South
Happy Days
Growing Pains
Family Ties
Diff'rent Strokes
Miami Vice
Little House on the Prairie
The Greatest American Hero (I still listen to the theme song Smiling )
Knight Rider
Magnum PI

I watched a LOT of television (and movies) as a child and I'm sure there are MANY, MANY more shows to list! Blink

As an aside, I can't quite believe just how many shows I watched that were entirely inappropriate for my age - what were my parents thinking?!

RE: What did you watch as a kid? - danieladamsmith - Apr-18-2011

As far as TV shows I am definitely a child of the Seventies. Films? Well I loved all of the Hammer Films and the Seventies was such a ripe time for that.

RE: What did you watch as a kid? - Oblivia - Apr-27-2011

Thuderkats, Dungeons & Dragons, Danger Mouse, Grange Hill, Byker Grove, He Man, She Ra, Wacky Races, Animaniacs, Hart Beat (always loved Morph!), Pole Position etc

RE: What did you watch as a kid? - Farseer - Nov-14-2011

(Apr-15-2011, 11:58 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Playschool
Sesame Street
Mr Squiggle
Count Duckula
Inspector Gadget
Danger Mouse
Sooty and Sweep
Mysterious Cities of Gold
Countdown (loved it, especially as a teenager!!!)
Are You Being Served
The Young Ones
Minder
Robin's Nest
The Kenny Everett Video Show
George and Mildred
The Good Life
Eastenders
Astroboy
Jamie and the Magic Torch
It's the Wolf
The Banana Splits
Doctor Who (not to mention the years and years and years of re-runs!)
Metal Mickey
Lassie
Skippy
The Two Ronnies
Porridge
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em

Other shows I loved to watch throughout my youth are ones I have already mentioned in my post from the 'Favourite TV Shows' thread:

(Dec-26-2010, 02:29 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Catweazle
The Beachcombers
Worzel Gummage
Monkey
Seven Little Australians
Rush (starring John Waters)
Tenko
The Timeless Land
Swiss Family Robinson
The Goodies
Blake's 7
Gentle Ben
Degrassi Junior High (also The Kids of Degrassi Street)

Showing my age with these Blushing but most of these "favourites" were on here in Australia when I was very young. No doubt there are many I've missed!

We had only one TV station out on our sheep station (the ABC...the BEST TV station, I thought!!) and so some programs I only ever got to view when either away on holiday or when a friend/relative videotaped them and sent them in the mail:

The Transformers
The A Team
The Smurfs
North and South
Happy Days
Growing Pains
Family Ties
Diff'rent Strokes
Miami Vice
Little House on the Prairie
The Greatest American Hero (I still listen to the theme song Smiling )
Knight Rider
Magnum PI

I watched a LOT of television (and movies) as a child and I'm sure there are MANY, MANY more shows to list! Blink

As an aside, I can't quite believe just how many shows I watched that were entirely inappropriate for my age - what were my parents thinking?!

I came on here to add Eastenders but found I'd already listed it! Oh, well, I will add E Street while I'm here. Smiling

RE: What did you watch as a kid? - fool-ish - Nov-14-2011

Truly, Eastenders has got to be the most depressing programme on TV, ever!