thePlenty.net Forums
What did you watch as a kid? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What did you watch as a kid? (/thread-294.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: What did you watch as a kid? - 'thul - Nov-16-2011

American English word: Armor
British English word: Armour.
See the error those British have? Its just not natural. Goes against nature, it does.

"formal" might have been the wrong word to use.
'thul recall best from 10th grade when these actively used American English (as they always have done) during the English classes. The teacher only accepted its use because of the official school system rules stated that students could choose to use it. If the decision had been his, he would not have accepted it. It was the sort of teacher that could not accept being proven wrong. Not even when given sourced evidence that his statement was wrong. Norwegian teachers in general focus too much on grammar and too little on actually teaching students what they need to speak it.

RE: What did you watch as a kid? - Farseer - Nov-16-2011

(Nov-16-2011, 12:20 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: American English word: Armor
British English word: Armour.
See the error those British have? Its just not natural. Goes against nature, it does.

I fear I am responsible for taking yet another thread down the winding path of 'off-topicness' Whistling but I'm not splitting anything lest I do further damage! P

So, forging (as opposed to Forging Big Grin) on ahead, let me cast a slightly different slant on this point that you beings have made...what exactly is 'natural' here though? How it rolls off the tongue, the easier spelling choice...?

Considering the English language was founded by the British (though certainly it included borrowings and origins from many other sources), and the spread of the English language is due primarily to the spread of the British Empire Crown, would not British English be 'purer' than American? While it may be complex, it is still the original source from where the American off-shoot was derived?

It would be akin to my husband and I teaching our children how to speak our language (which we created) and then, after they decide that they're going to go off and do a few things their own way, others point out that it's our children who have our language correct....and we are in error. Blink

Knight Knight Knight Knight Knight

RE: What did you watch as a kid? - fool-ish - Nov-16-2011

Swords at the ready! Knight

But Armour is the correct spelling! It is English in it's correct and proper form. Other nations have altered the spelling to suit for whatever reason. Mind you, much of the English language is derived from the ancient Latin, so it's not officially our own invention, but still, it is one of the most widely taught languages and therefore should be taught in it's proper form, should it not? Excessive use of 'U' and all!

Its proper form is without excess letters that do nothing to improve understanding.

On a more neutral view, English is a true mixture where languages go. Some parts stem from latin, but a lot of others stem from germanic. Old English has quite a lot in common with Old Norse, but then, Britain is a former colony, so that is to be expected.

I often get the urge to change words to 'proper' English when reading books by non-British authors.

Center should be centre, gray should be grey, jail should be gaol, splendor should be splendour (there's that nuisance of a 'u' again!) etc. And so it goes on. However, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one but I maintain my stance that I talk proper! P Wink

British english is without a doubt silly. Can you honestly claim that something that is undeniably silly can at the same time be "proper"?

(these beings do hope you have as much fun as they are having over this argument...)

RE: What did you watch as a kid? - Farseer - Nov-16-2011

(Nov-16-2011, 01:11 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: On a more neutral view

I require but a brief armistice until I can dedicate more time to the fight but, all in all, a neutral view be darned!! Knight

(Nov-16-2011, 06:57 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: British english is without a doubt silly. Can you honestly claim that something that is undeniably silly can at the same time be "proper"?

(these beings do hope you have as much fun as they are having over this argument...)
Undeniably this argument is proper silly, but good fun nonetheless. However, I shall continue to honour British english as is right and proper for an English lady (debatable) such as myself.

Debatable? The "English" part or the "Lady" part?

RE: What did you watch as a kid? - fool-ish - Nov-17-2011

(Nov-16-2011, 11:06 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: Debatable? The "English" part or the "Lady" part?
The 'Lady' part. Life would be boring if I was lady-like all the time. I'm most definitely English, though there are a couple of people at work who would swear I was Spanish! Blink