thePlenty.net Forums
The Companions of the Heart (spoilers LST) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: The Companions of the Heart (spoilers LST) (/thread-297.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: The Companions of the Heart - 'thul - Apr-26-2011

many a good point here... They were to 'thul's understanding the highest form of advisors to the satrap, able to aid him in any way necessary on their field of expertise...

The problem with defining them, is that Satrap Cosgo probably did not fully understand their function upon ascending to the throne... He was for all intents and purposes a spoiled brat, and probably thought that "companion of the heart" meant that they had to serve whatever purpose his "heart" had in mind... (more likely his reproductive organs...)

RE: The Companions of the Heart - Nuytsia - Aug-24-2011

Re Kekki, Serilla actually mentions early on that her knowledge of Chalced was her area of expertise.
I am not 100% sure that it's stated that they HAVE to be female? But obviously it seems implied (at least when the Satrap is male - maybe Farseer is right about the aspects of Sa thing, or maybe it is just seen as a balancing thing to do to have the advisors be of the opposite gender to the Satrap).
Serilla says something about the role being to honestly advise the Satrap on their particular area of expertise.
I think the emphasis is on them being free to give the Satrap their honest opinion, and not being tempted to flatter him to gain favour as others in his court may do. In order to be free of the need to gain his favour it's implied that they would have a lot of power in their own right.
I get the impression from Serilla that it is probably not 'the done thing' for the Satrap to sleep with a Companion but I am not sure it is necessarily prohibited (before Cosgo). I would imagine complicating the relationship in that way could impinge on the Companion's objectivity in fulfilling her main role of advisor.
Serilla says that if a Companion becomes pregnant to the Satrap the baby is given to the priests of Sa.

RE: The Companions of the Heart - Farseer - Aug-24-2011

Thanks Nuytsia re confirming Kekki's area of expertise.

(Aug-24-2011, 02:58 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Serilla says something about the role being to honestly advise the Satrap on their particular area of expertise.
I think the emphasis is on them being free to give the Satrap their honest opinion, and not being tempted to flatter him to gain favour as others in his court may do. In order to be free of the need to gain his favour it's implied that they would have a lot of power in their own right.

Possibly herein is the reason for Cosgo's downfall. He overlooked this value in his Companions of the Heart and delegated them to a lesser role. In doing so, he then turned over the function or true role of a CotH to his nobles and, in this, they failed miserably.

While a CotH may have felt it was their right to be able to advise without repercussion, the same could not be said of a noble. It was the nobles' inability to honestly advise Cosgo that led to their eventual revolt aginst him. They hated the way he acted and ruled but did naught to deter him from his actions, even encouraging him to curry favour from their 'Satrap'....hence Cosgo's words to them when he was finally able to confront them in SOD. He had expected them to mentor and advise him.

Rather then keep everyone's roles as they should have been, he switched them to his own detriment (expecting nobles to advise, Companions of the Heart to flatter etc), and it took Malta's intervention to return things to order.

(Aug-24-2011, 02:58 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Serilla says that if a Companion becomes pregnant to the Satrap the baby is given to the priests of Sa.

Obviously this kind of physical relationship between a CotH and Satrap happens from time to time then, if there's a 'rule' about the fate of possible offspring. What of the baby itself? Would it be considered a bastard? If so, it's a curious thing that he/she would then be so honoured as to become a priest of Sa, given that the Satrap is himself said to be of Sa. Or it is a sacrfice, rather than an honour? Or both?

Which suddenly brings me to another question for another thread! I love this brainstorming business! Clapping

RE: The Companions of the Heart (spoilers LST) - Nuytsia - Aug-25-2011

Yes, good point, the Satrap did himself no favours at all by changing the traditions!
Re the baby of a Companion.... I think Serilla referred to it as being seen as 'tasteless' if that were allowed to happen and I am pretty sure it was said that the true parentage of the child was never revealed ? (kept secret by the priests presumably)
Which makes me wonder, are all priests of Sa male? I'm guessing not? They most likely have 'nunneries' or the equivalent. (otherwise there would be some separate fate for the female babies)

So I don't think there was any honour given to anyone in this process...... nor sacrifice really.
I wonder if orphans and such can become priests of Sa too.

RE: The Companions of the Heart (spoilers LST) - 'thul - Aug-25-2011

It would indeed seem like there were, somewhere, priestesses of Sa. In any regular population, about 50% of the births are female (give or take a few percent). Thus for a rule like the one mentioned here to be used, it would have had some clause for female children if there were no priestesses.

The problem with Satrap Cosgo was that he had no worldly experience and no challenges. He was heir to the throne, but he was not raised as an heir should be raised. No one taught him how a satrap should rule. In fact, he was raised in a manner rather similar to Regal. All the benefits of power and none of the burdens.

RE: The Companions of the Heart (spoilers LST) - Nuytsia - Aug-26-2011

Yes he does remind me of Regal. They also have their love of various drugs in common.

RE: The Companions of the Heart (spoilers LST) - fool-ish - Sep-02-2011

I can't help thinking the satrap would have been much more useful as sustenance for a sea serpent! As for his CotHs, I think they were all things as and when required.

RE: The Companions of the Heart (spoilers LST) - londonlassie - Aug-18-2012

(Aug-25-2011, 11:16 AM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Which makes me wonder, are all priests of Sa male?

Literally just started rereading Ship Of Magic; in the first chapter, when Wintrow and Berandol are walking through the monastery, Wintrow mentions seeing some "men and women" in the green robes (I think it's green) of the full members of the order, and some others in the white of acolytes. So I'm guessing they either don't separate priests and priestesses, and they both live in the same monastery, or they have a separate building in the same grounds as the monastery for the nuns. But they definitely have them, since Berandol refers to "Mother Dellity" as some kind of authority figure who might sell Wintrow's stained glass window Smiling

RE: The Companions of the Heart (spoilers LST) - Farseer - Aug-19-2012

Good stuff, londonlassie! Detective Gotta love RotE re-reads. Clapping I'm going to join you with SoM methinks...the book is in the only box I've got that has been so clearly labelled that there is no doubt as to its contents - 'Robin Hobb'. P I just have to decide where to put bookcases before cutting the tape but, gladly, I now have the Kindle-for-PC versions so there's nothing stopping me. The night can't come quickly enough! Book

RE: The Companions of the Heart (spoilers LST) - londonlassie - Aug-19-2012

(Aug-19-2012, 07:16 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Good stuff, londonlassie! Detective Gotta love RotE re-reads. Clapping

Yay! Slurp

(Aug-19-2012, 07:16 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I'm going to join you with SoM methinks...the book is in the only box I've got that has been so clearly labelled that there is no doubt as to its contents - 'Robin Hobb'. P I just have to decide where to put bookcases before cutting the tape but, gladly, I now have the Kindle-for-PC versions so there's nothing stopping me. The night can't come quickly enough! Book

Are you moving? Same here!

But we don't really have to pack...we're only moving to the house next door P So I get to keep my Hobb paraphernalia out and easily accessible, thank goodness!