thePlenty.net Forums
"First, let me introduce you to yourself" (Beware RotE Spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Site and forum (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Welcome! Read these first, please. (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" (Beware RotE Spoilers) (/thread-3.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Nuytsia - Aug-18-2010

I guess it does seem like some new posters don't see it .....

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Mervi - Aug-19-2010

Well, it's under the header "please read these first" and there's only a couple of other threads in the room. I just think some people don't want to introduce themselves, at least not as soon as they register. It's okay to be a lurker, too. Wink

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Atthis - Sep-15-2010

Greetings fellow Hobb fans,

I've decided to join up because I simply can't stop thinking about Robin Hobb's books. I feel so sorry for all those poor people who haven't discovered them! I first read the three Realm of the Elderlings trilogies about four or five years ago and fell in love with them. I initially picked them up on suggestion from my older brother (for which he has my eternal gratitude). Then a couple of months ago I was browsing in my local bookstore and saw Dragon Keeper. I was so excited to see more books set in the same world - and I hadn't even known they existed!! I guess I saved myself some waiting, though. Anyway, I bought it and promptly went home to start re-reading from the start of the Farseer trilogy. It was only later that I realised I should have looked for Dragon Haven as well! Now I've finished Dragon Keeper (I loved it!), but still haven't bought Dragon Haven.

Oh, and I'm female and I live in Australia (sorry, not very original, I know). I was born here, but my parents weren't. I'm currently undertaking a PhD in evolutionary microbiology, and have now been a student for a ridiculously large number of years. I am interested in linguistics too.

By the way, I scouted out a few Hobb-related sites before I ended up here, and let me tell you this one wins hands down! Intelligent and engaging comments, great layout, and a superb name. Nice work Mervi, and everyone else involved.

(In case you're still wondering, I found this intro post with no problems, so I think the set up is fine)

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Farseer - Sep-16-2010

(Sep-15-2010, 02:01 PM (UTC))Atthis Wrote: Greetings fellow Hobb fans,

Well met, Atthis!

(Sep-15-2010, 02:01 PM (UTC))Atthis Wrote: I've decided to join up because I simply can't stop thinking about Robin Hobb's books. I feel so sorry for all those poor people who haven't discovered them!

Glad to hear that you, too, share our addiction!

(Sep-15-2010, 02:01 PM (UTC))Atthis Wrote: Oh, and I'm female and I live in Australia (sorry, not very original, I know).

Yes, we're starting to add up, aren't we P ?!

(Sep-15-2010, 02:01 PM (UTC))Atthis Wrote: I was born here, but my parents weren't. I'm currently undertaking a PhD in evolutionary microbiology, and have now been a student for a ridiculously large number of years. I am interested in linguistics too.

Well, this is definitely original (not to mention AMAZING!), and it sounds like we're going to be in for some wonderfully interesting and intelligent posts from your end...no pressure Wink !

(Sep-15-2010, 02:01 PM (UTC))Atthis Wrote: By the way, I scouted out a few Hobb-related sites before I ended up here, and let me tell you this one wins hands down! Intelligent and engaging comments, great layout, and a superb name. Nice work Mervi, and everyone else involved.

I concur!

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Atthis - Sep-16-2010

Thanks for the welcoming comments, Farseer!

As for expecting intelligent posts from me, I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you right from the start. I need some technical help; how do you quote a poster like you just did above?

Blushing I'm embarrasingly ignorant when it comes to forum posting (so please forgive me for asking annoying questions). But this time I had to take the plunge. It will be truly great to have someone to discuss these books with. Smiling And I hope people will still be discussing Dragon Haven by the time I finish it!

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - joost - Sep-16-2010

(Sep-16-2010, 01:33 PM (UTC))Atthis Wrote: I need some technical help; how do you quote a poster like you just did above?
Press on the [Image: postbit_quote.gif] button right below the post.

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Atthis - Sep-17-2010

Ah, I see. Thanks. Oh and look at that, it even says so in the rollover!

I guess it was just too obvious *shakes head sadly*.

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Liquid Ice - Sep-17-2010

Welcome Atthis!
I joined this forum when I couldn't stop thinking about Robins books as well!
Glad to see another Aussie, we'll over run this place soon!
Hope you enjoy your stay Big Grin

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Nuytsia - Sep-17-2010

Hi Atthis!
Hmmm evolutionary microbiology eh? Not something I come across every day. What is your PhD on?
Nice to hear you liked our forums! Yay Mervi!
It wasn't all that long ago that I read Dragon Keeper and Haven so I'd definitely read posts on them!

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Atthis - Sep-18-2010

Hi Liquid Ice and Nuytsia!

So how many Aussies are there on these boards? Is there a way to tell?

I'm glad to hear you'd still read posts on Dragon Keeper and Haven. And since you asked, my PhD is on the evolution of the Enterobacteriaceae. This is a family of bacteria that includes such species as E. coli, Salmonella, Yersinia, and Klebsiella (I think these are the ones you are most likely to have heard of). My project has involved a large amount of DNA sequencing, followed by computer analysis of the sequences. Unfortunately no field work for me; all my bacterial samples were collected before I started, and are now stored in a huge -80 C freezer in my lab.