thePlenty.net Forums
"First, let me introduce you to yourself" (Beware RotE Spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Site and forum (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Welcome! Read these first, please. (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" (Beware RotE Spoilers) (/thread-3.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Farseer - Feb-20-2011

Well met, Lady Laura! Flowers From where in our world do you hail?

I have been in my car again, traversing some more of this great state of mine (thinking of hanging one of those 'Home Sweet Home' signs in my car, actually!) so am yet to get through all of the great (no doubt!) comments that have been posted while away. I am looking forward to reading your contributions also, LL!

I think it's incredible how we all seem to have followed a slightly different path and yet have still ended up becoming a Hobb 'fan'...like life really, taking different roads to pretty much the same destination. I am trying to eliminate Fitz and Fool from the equation and can only wonder how I would have viewed this Realm of the Elderlings, not having been introduced to them first!

I read the books in order from Farseer, Liveship Traders, Tawny Man, and Rain Wild Chronicles, with all of the short stories scattered in between. If you can get them, I would recommend the Farseer and then also the Tawny Man books without a second's hesitation. If I had to choose, I would say that I loved them the most out of all of the books but, really, I am of the opinion that they are still just part of the 'whole' RotE story. For me, it's the complete story so far that is amazing...and, of course, the possibilities of what's yet to come! Yay

There are spoilers aplenty but hopefully they are well indicated/hidden either in the title thread or throughout the thread itself...I know I marked two threads for spoilers only recently...still, I might have a quick skim, just to be sure!!! Feel free to point out anything you come across that you think needs attention. Smiling

Welcome to the forums!

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - 'thul - Feb-20-2011

indeed... we'come...

These beings would have to say, why pick only one part when you can take it all?

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Lady Laura - Feb-20-2011

Thanks for the welcome Big Grin I'm from Ireland, and to be honest Robin Hobb isn't as well known over here as she should be P I'm planning to get my hands on the Farseer and Tawny books soon, but I may wait til the summer to read them, atm I have plenty of uni books to be reading lol

Yes, I do wish I had read Hobb's RotE books in order, I have noticed from skimming posts relating to Tawny and Farseer that there are things in them that relate to Liveship and Rain Wilds Chronicles (ie. apparently Kelsingra made an appearance in Farseer or something? That's so cool!)

I need to ask, how do I put in spoilers? You know, where the reader will have to click on the "click to view" button before the spoiler text appears. Smiling I don't know how to put that into my posts P

I admit a few things have been spoiled for me, although not just from this forum really, from when I read other random forums and comments from Hobb fans. It does seem hard to avoid spoilers lol But I try to skim or skip posts that mention the books I havn't read. haha usually as soon as I see the name "Fitz", I know I shouldn't read the post P

(Feb-20-2011, 03:59 PM (UTC))Lady Laura Wrote: Thanks for the welcome Big Grin I'm from Ireland,

That's wonderful, Lady Laura! I am hoping to head there next year so maybe I can get some further tips from you at some stage.

What are you studying at uni, if you don't mind sharing that with us?

(Feb-20-2011, 03:59 PM (UTC))Lady Laura Wrote: I need to ask, how do I put in spoilers? You know, where the reader will have to click on the "click to view" button before the spoiler text appears. Smiling I don't know how to put that into my posts P

Ah, this Forum FAQ link should provide you with all that you need for spoiler tags but ask again if you're still having problems...it took me forever to work it all out!

Heehee one tip I can tell you now is that you should prepare for lots of rain when you visit here P May I ask where you are from? Smiling

I'm studying Multimedia, which is basically a mixture of both the theory and practical sides to media studies. There's quite a broad range of subjects, say from Social Studies, Media Writing, Communication Theory, Analysing Advertising, to the more computer based subjects like Audio, Video, Imaging, Animation, Interface Design etc... Personally I'm so much better at the theory subjects, and not so good at the practical LOL Which is the opposite of most other people in my class.

thanks for the Spoiler info, it makes sense to me now Clapping I'm browsing the threads now, there are so many spoilers out there... I guess it's cos its so easy for people to compare Hobb's different characters/books in the same thread, even if the thread is about a specific topic from one of her trilogies. And of course, so many little things link up in her books! I never realised before this that Tawny & Farseer dealt with some things from Liveship and Rain Wilds Chronicles. And I only realised yesterday that Tawny is set AFTER Liveship, that was a surprise for me, I always thought Farseer and Tawny were 2 trilogies set far in the past compared to Liveship ><

(Feb-20-2011, 05:29 PM (UTC))Lady Laura Wrote: May I ask where you are from? Smiling

I am in Australia (Queensland specifically) and, yes, I should have gone to my bed some, oh, five hours or so ago?! P

(Feb-20-2011, 05:29 PM (UTC))Lady Laura Wrote: I'm studying Multimedia...

...Personally I'm so much better at the theory subjects, and not so good at the practical LOL Which is the opposite of most other people in my class.

I imagine I would be the same as you with the theory/practical side of things! Still, what an amazing range of skills you will have acquired once you've completed your course...and a course very pertinent to our world at present (though, I guess, when has it ever not been pertinent?). You won't go wrong with Mulitmedia, I wouldn't think! Clapping

(Feb-20-2011, 05:29 PM (UTC))Lady Laura Wrote: there are so many spoilers out there...

Yes, and HUGE spoilers too, I'd say!! Big Grin In this, feel free to start some new (spoiler free) threads, specific to, say, LST and RWC...I have a RWC thread out there but it didn't end up, or start (!!) where I'd planned it to go, and it discusses many things F & TM-related...probably more than RWC-related topics! Blushing

I think you could also participate in most of the Gernian threads (except the Gernia vs RotE one of course), or start another of your own, if you also wanted to chat about SS?

I'm sure everyone would be happy to chat with you in a spoiler free arena, rather than chance you stumbling on something you oughtn't. Not having read the Farseer and TM books does delete a lot of the threads for you otherwise! Does anyone else have any other thoughts/recommendations?

(Feb-20-2011, 05:29 PM (UTC))Lady Laura Wrote: And of course, so many little things link up in her books!

Yes, our Tangle Leader enjoys toying with us, and making our minds bend in ways they otherwise may not! Joker Isn't she brilliant though?! Yay

Haha, staying up late reading and replying in forums etc... is so addictive! Plus those pesky social sites are making so many people stay up to ridiculous hours at night lol

Oooh Australia! I'm really jealous, I always thought that if I could have chosen another country for me to have grown up in, it would be Australia Big Grin I definately need to visit it someday!

I might start some new threads, after I figure out if the topics i want to discuss have or havn't been brought up before in another thread. I read SS over 2 years ago, i admit i wouldnt be capable of holding much of a conversation about it, I've forgotten a lot of the character and place names P I remember a lot of Liveship, but I have forgotten smaller details, so sometimes I read a post about it and am like "Oh yeah, I forgot about that!!!" Atm I'm really interested in discussing RWC, since I've just finished reading it.

Yes, our Tangle Leader does indeed keep us on our toes, and loves to surprise us Yay

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Nuytsia - Feb-21-2011

Welcome Lady Laura!
I'm from Australia too, but down the opposite end from Farseer (ie Tasmania)
I've never been to Ireland and would definitely love to visit (along with a million other places).
Don't worry TOO much about not having read the books quite in order. You can have the fun of re-reading them all in future in order and realising all sorts of surprising things!

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Lady Laura - Feb-21-2011

Thanks for the welcome Big Grin I'm really happy I joined up here, you seem like a lovely group of Hobb fans Big Grin you will have to endure my strange opinions and comments, though P But I love a good discussion, so feel free to critcise/agrue with whatever I say, because I really love hearing opinions from other fans!

I am definately looking forward to reading Hobb's other books, and it appears that readers rate Tawny and Farseer very highly, so I dont want to miss out on them!

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - 'thul - Feb-21-2011

strange opinions and comments are common here. As is pulling on straws to make a theory fit... Discussions are plenty here, and they are generally good-natured...