thePlenty.net Forums
"First, let me introduce you to yourself" (Beware RotE Spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Site and forum (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Welcome! Read these first, please. (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" (Beware RotE Spoilers) (/thread-3.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Farseer - Mar-24-2011

Quote:I've read all of RH's series, and have re-read the FS and TM series at least three times each (can you say "obsessed"?).

Definitely obsessed and definitely a like-minded member of this group - you'll fit in nicely!

Well met and welcome to thePlenty, FoolishGirl. It's terrific to have you on board, and also brave of you to finally take the plunge! Tomorrow will mark a mere twelve months since I, too, de-lurked...Yay

An editor? I have to confess that I am rather fascinated by that and would love to hear all about it!

I have grown rather strong re confessions of fantasy of late, and just can't seem to stop myself from attempting to win people over to Robin's work. I found out a couple of weeks ago that, from an off-hand conversation I'd had with a lady last year, I have successfully converted over every member of her family, with them all having now completed FS and in the midst of LST.

Actually, as I consider ALL of the conversations I've had with various people this past fortnight, I can't think of one where I didn't bring up the books at least once...telling people of my trip down to Brisbane to see RH next week is a perfect way to introduce her and the books into every conversation!

EDIT: Lady Laura, you have a will of I-don't-know-what...iron itself doesn't seem fitting here! Even if you don't end up enjoying the FS and TM storylines, compared to LST and RWC, you will LOVE what it all adds to the Realm of the Elderlings tale. Of course, I think you will end up loving the FS and TM books too...you simply won't be able to help it! END EDIT

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - FoolishGirl - Mar-25-2011

[quote='Farseer' pid='5646' dateline='1301006150']
[quote]
An editor? I have to confess that I am rather fascinated by that...
[/quote]

Howdy, Farseer!

RE being an editor: My work is not glamorous at all, as it's in the medical field, mostly virology and chemistry. I HAVE worked with a Nobel Laureate, though Smiling

RE your trip to see RH, lucky you! I'm nervous just thinking about meeting anyone famous; I always feel afterwards that I sounded either like a super dork or a stallker! Best if I just admire from afar...

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Mervi - Mar-25-2011

A warm welcome to all the new people from me as well! Smiling

Re: meeting Robin - she's the sweetest, most down-to-earth, charming person. No feeling of a "celebrity" at all there. Whenever her schedule allows it during the book promoting tours, she meets fans in coffee shops for regular chatting etc. If you guys ever have a chance to meet her, DO IT. Smiling

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Jizdin - Mar-27-2011

Hello!

I first read the Farseer Trilogy maybe 6 years ago, after randomly picking up AA in a bookshop when they were having a 3-for-2 offer. No idea what the other two books I bought were, but I soon hooked and immediately got the next 2. I though they were amazing, I just couldn't put them down. The endig took my breath away and broke my heart... it was so beautiful and sad and haunting... I think I cried for days afterwards but I wouldn't have had it any other way. It was a fitting ending for that stage of the story. I have since read the Liveship books and also adore them. I'm torn now as to which is my favourite trilogy Undecided
I'm now reading the Tawny Man books and seem to becoming huge RH fan Thankful

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Mervi - Mar-27-2011

A warm welcome to you too Jizdin! Smiling

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Lady Laura - Mar-28-2011

Welcome to the forum!! Big Grin

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Farseer - Apr-01-2011

Well met and welcome, Jidzin (love the name...I know I'd love to have some or see it in action! Smiling ).

I am just so excited to hear you are into the TM series! Yay My son finished it only a day or so ago and it was simply fantastic to see it all through his "fresh" eyes again...we had some terrific conversations, though I couldn't really contribute anything without spoilers!!

My husband had gone from FS straight on to TM but, a little into Fool's Errand, he couldn't stand it and so had to go and start the LST. I am ever so glad he did because nothing I could say up to that point would convince him that he HAD to read it!! He is now happily immersed in SOM and, again, I am thoroughly enjoying seeing his reactions! Book

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - FoolishGirl - Apr-01-2011

Magic
(Apr-01-2011, 08:32 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I am just so excited to hear you are into the TM series! Yay My son finished it only a day or so ago and it was simply fantastic to see it all through his "fresh" eyes again...we had some terrific conversations, though I couldn't really contribute anything without spoilers!!

Hey, Farseer, how old is your son? I can't wait to introduce my son to the RotE, but since he's only 7, I think it will be a while. He's reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince right now, so he's already well on his way to following in his mom's footsteps!Book

Oh, and hiya, Jidzin!

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Farseer - Apr-01-2011

I have two sons, eighteen and sixteen-soon-to-be-seventeen, FoolishGirl. Happily, the eldest is meeting up with me at Supernova tomorrow! Smiling

I do also have a daughter, who is nine, and she tells me she can't wait to one day read the RotE books (though I have no doubt spoilt it all for her, with her knowing far too much of the storyline already!). I caught her lounging back reading [[Blue Boots]] the other day and she told me she was "actually enjoying it"!

She hasn't wanted to begin the HP books yet, having not long ago completed the three sets of Deltora Quest books by Emily Rodda, but they are on her soon-to-get-to list after the Lemony Snicket books (nearly two down and eleven to go!).

Great to hear we are working together to cultivate yet another generation of fantasy readers!

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - FoolishGirl - Apr-01-2011

(Apr-01-2011, 02:52 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I do also have a daughter, who is nine, and she tells me she can't wait to one day read the RotE books (though I have no doubt spoilt it all for her, with her knowing far too much of the storyline already!). I caught her lounging back reading [[Blue Boots]] the other day and she told me she was "actually enjoying it"!

Great to hear we are working together to cultivate yet another generation of fantasy readers!

No way to spoil these books!...Haven't read any of RH's short works, must remedy that...
I'm thinking Narnia is next for my little guy, then I'm not sure what. His Dark Materials is a fave of mine but it's a bit disturbing, and a little too adolescent (but so is HP; my son just ignores or skips all the teenage romance stuff). We have the Hobbit audio CD that we might bust out on a long car trip soon.