thePlenty.net Forums
"First, let me introduce you to yourself" (Beware RotE Spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Site and forum (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Welcome! Read these first, please. (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" (Beware RotE Spoilers) (/thread-3.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Clarity - Aug-12-2011

(Aug-12-2011, 11:56 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: Scaled skin would at times have been very practical.
But probably itchy. That's why you'd need a keeper. Smiling

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - 'thul - Aug-13-2011

You only need a keeper if you are dragon-sized and scaled. scaled Keepers dont need keepers.

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Clarity - Aug-13-2011

(Aug-13-2011, 06:37 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: You only need a keeper if you are dragon-sized and scaled. scaled Keepers dont need keepers.
Wouldn't that be wonderful!

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - 'thul - Aug-14-2011

Indeed.

The constant need for heat/sun due to cold-bloodedness might be a slight hassle, though.

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Clarity - Aug-14-2011

(Aug-14-2011, 06:31 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: Indeed.

The constant need for heat/sun due to cold-bloodedness might be a slight hassle, though.

Not to mention the dirt and parasites which would get under one's scales! Crying
But I think the ability to fly, if one's wings were developed enough of course, would compensate for the discomfort, don't you?

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - 'thul - Aug-14-2011

Indeed.

You can get just as many parasites and dirt problem from regular skin. So that should not be an inconvenience.

Growing wings would also have been practical, though that might have other impracticalities... Its one thing to have wings, it is another thing to be able to use them. controlled flight is apparently rather difficult.

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Valarya - Sep-20-2011

Hello!

I've been a fan of the RotE series since the early 2000's. I've read them a few times and *always* recommend them to my friends [along with GRRM's SOIAF series]. I LIVE to discuss books and, while I've been a contributor on the westeros forums for ASOIAF, I've never found these forums!! You have NO IDEA how excited I am to be here. I see you guys have already discussed a lot of the things I wanted to talk about (especially in particular to the Others Island) and I have been delighting in reading post after post all day at work today, hahah.

It's crazy, really -- I consider myself proficient in Google-Fu. I always searched "Farseer forums" or some such, and couldn't find you. Seems it took "Robin Hobb forums" to do that. Smiling

Either way - hi. Hello. I'm SO happy to finally be here.

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Farseer - Sep-20-2011

(Sep-20-2011, 09:57 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: Hello!

G'day Valarya, and welcome to thePlenty! Grouphug

(Sep-20-2011, 09:57 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: I LIVE to discuss books

Well, you'll fit right in with us like 'sundered pieces of crockery that snick back together'.

(Sep-20-2011, 09:57 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: You have NO IDEA how excited I am to be here.

As excited as we are to have you here with us, I'm sure! P

(Sep-20-2011, 09:57 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: I see you guys have already discussed a lot of the things I wanted to talk about (especially in particular to the Others Island)

That's fantastic! Others Island is one of my favourite subjects (I was even planning to add a post there later on today!) so I am looking forward to your injection of thoughts and theories. Clapping

(Sep-20-2011, 09:57 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: It's crazy, really -- I consider myself proficient in Google-Fu. I always searched "Farseer forums" or some such, and couldn't find you. Seems it took "Robin Hobb forums" to do that. Smiling

Thanks for sharing that, Valarya! Slurp Although I have had 'moderator' beneath my name since the beginning of the year, Mervi is the long-time owner and moderator of the site, and the one in control of the majority of functions, so I will send her a message making her aware of that. Possibly she can do something to include various other searches such as 'Farseer forums' etc, to make it easier for us to be found!

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Valarya - Sep-21-2011

(Sep-20-2011, 11:25 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: G'day Valarya, and welcome to thePlenty!
...you'll fit right in with us like 'sundered pieces of crockery that snick back together'.

Thank you! Wub
I knew I'd fit in right away. How?! -- Typically, when I'm new to a forum, I browse a lot first.

I lurk. Innocent

Only then do I decide whether I will just enjoy the fruits of others' labors, or join in on the fun myself. Within two (count that, two) multi-page threads on my favorite Hobb subjects here, I knew you guys would be the perfect Coterie for me! Grouphug

(Sep-20-2011, 11:25 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: That's fantastic! Others Island is one of my favourite subjects (I was even planning to add a post there later on today!) so I am looking forward to your injection of thoughts and theories.

Ah, yes. Since I read most of that thread I saw how much you love it. Big Grin Some of the theories on the following have had my mind spinning for ages & you guys covered a lot of ground. I was blown away!
  • why Kennit finds what he finds
  • why Fitz/Dutiful can remove things from the beach

and, most importantly:
  • why the Others were holding SWR in the first place
  • who told them to keep her
  • who the Others really are
  • and the building of the cave

I can't wait to dig in & chime in! Proud

Question!
- Does the Wiki here work like a regular wiki? ie. Do you encourage members to add entries or correct current entries? (The wiki is actually what brought me here.)

WARNING: do not click the following wiki-links unless you've finished up-through the end of TM series.

I noticed, for example, the Nighteyes entry is fleshed out wonderfully from his early years....

The Kennit entry, however, is completely bereft of any specifics; it's a bare-bones entry telling you the basics of Kennit.

I would love to add entries, is what I'm saying. Blushing

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Farseer - Sep-21-2011

By all means, make contributions within the wiki wherever you see fit Smiling ...in fact, it would terrific if you did as there is much work to be done (new entries to be made, others to be fleshed out a little more, glaring errors fixed etc). Despite being thoroughly useless when it comes to computers (!!), I am currently supposed to be working on/fixing a few things but life just keeps getting in the way.

You should be able to log in to the wiki by using the same username and password combination that you use here for the forum. Any problems let me know, though my mod 'powers' only extend to the forum so Mervi would have to fix any wiki difficulty.

When you log in, you will see a 'Projects' link within the Navigate the Wiki menu. Click on that link and see what others are working on, and you can add whatever you would like to work on as well, if you like. I have to add 'fleshing out King Shrewd' to my list and a few others! Blushing

As well as using the discussion pages within the wiki to chat amongst ourselves regarding the entries, there are also some threads within the forum where we can share or discuss wiki-related topics.

EDIT: This wiki thread may also be helpful. END EDIT

Have fun, and thanks! Flowers