thePlenty.net Forums
"First, let me introduce you to yourself" (Beware RotE Spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Site and forum (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Welcome! Read these first, please. (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" (Beware RotE Spoilers) (/thread-3.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Relpda - Dec-15-2011

Hi,

Here is a bit about me Smiling

I'm a relative newcomer to Robin Hobb's books as I only discovered them this Summer. I was looking for something to read after GRRM's ASOIAF and saw lots of recommedations for Robin Hobb and decided to give them a go. Needless to say it didn't take long for me to fall hook line and sinker and I have only just come to the end of the RotE books this week.

I think the reason I love Hobb so much is how great her characters are and I reckon Fitz, the Fool, Nighteyes and Relpda (of course) are my favourite characters of all time with Kettricken, Paragon, Chade, Reyn and probably many many others following close behind.

With regards to how obsessed I am, I'm pretty obsessed. I am the type of person who will be going through my day when suddenly I'll remember what happened to the Fool in FE and will feel like I'm going to cry all over again Crying. I also made my husband (who isn't a fan) sketch me a picture of Fitz and the Fool for my birthday last month as he likes to do little sketches in his spare time and I thought I'd put him to good use Big Grin

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Valarya - Dec-15-2011

I know we've already told you elsewhere, but WELCOME RELPDA!!! Grouphug

So glad you found the place. I know what you mean about finding something after ASOIAF.. it's how I came to this series as well (but in 2003-ish lol). It seems ou'll fit right in with all us obsessed people talking, living, breathing Hobb. Yes you will. Dance

As ASOIAF and ROTE sit in my top 5 all-time fav series... perhaps we have similar tastes in books (like most other people here) and can trade book recommendations? I'm always looking for things to add to my list!! I've already found in the short time I've been here that these fellows have MUCH better recommendations than other fantasy forums I've visited.

(Have you read Hobb's other trilogy.. Soldier's Son?)

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Relpda - Dec-15-2011

Thank you for the lovely welcome Wub

I can't think of any recommendations off the top of my head as I'm quite new to fantasy apart from the Harry Potter books but I'll come back to you if I can think of any. Definately will look forward to seeing what other people recommend though.

I haven't read the Soldier Son books yet but I plan to probably after I've read CoD now. I've been thinking of trying some of the Megan Lindholm books too at some point Smiling

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Valarya - Dec-15-2011

I, too, need to read some Megan Lindholm books. I haven't, yet. Blushing

As far as other recommendations go... might I be so bold as to suggest the following two series. I'm sure people here are tired of seeing their names but other than ASOIAF, ROTE, LOTR and Harry Potter.. they're my favorite. Smiling

Kingkiller Chronicles (The Name of the Wind) by Patrick Rothfuss <- you'll love it.
the Coldfire Trilogy by C. S. Friedman

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Farseer - Dec-15-2011

(Dec-15-2011, 06:07 PM (UTC))Relpda Wrote: Here is a bit about me Smiling

Thanks for sharing! Slurp

(Dec-15-2011, 06:07 PM (UTC))Relpda Wrote: I also made my husband (who isn't a fan) sketch me a picture of Fitz and the Fool for my birthday last month as he likes to do little sketches in his spare time and I thought I'd put him to good use Big Grin

I love it! P

Looking forward to seeing some more of your Relpda-ness around the forums!

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - fool-ish - Dec-15-2011

Sometimes I think it's quite shameful for a grown woman like myself to be so obsessed with fictional characters in a fictional world. At other times, I think, well sod it, it's worthy of obsession, so live with it! P

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Relpda - Dec-16-2011

Thank you for the book recommendation Valarya, I'll put it on my to read list it's looks really good Smiling

Thank you again for your lovely welcomes SmilingI agree most definately a worthy obsession!

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Relpda - Dec-19-2011

(Dec-15-2011, 08:19 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: I, too, need to read some Megan Lindholm books. I haven't, yet. Blushing

As far as other recommendations go... might I be so bold as to suggest the following two series. I'm sure people here are tired of seeing their names but other than ASOIAF, ROTE, LOTR and Harry Potter.. they're my favorite. Smiling

Kingkiller Chronicles (The Name of the Wind) by Patrick Rothfuss <- you'll love it.
the Coldfire Trilogy by C. S. Friedman

Just wanted to add that I've started The Name of the Wind alongside my RotE re-read and loving it so far - thank you again for the recommendation Smiling I can tell it's going to be one of those books I'll be hard pressed to put down come Christmas dinner Book

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - fool-ish - Dec-19-2011

Yes, there's a good chance you will be hard pressed to put it down, Relpda. I loved it and found it unputdownable Smiling

RE: "First, let me introduce you to yourself" - Valarya - Dec-19-2011

(Dec-19-2011, 10:02 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: Yes, there's a good chance you will be hard pressed to put it down, Relpda. I loved it and found it unputdownable Smiling

I second-ededed the fact it is unputdownable!

Knight