thePlenty.net Forums
[from news] Upcoming special edition of the Inheritance - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Upcoming books & other RH news (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: [from news] Upcoming special edition of the Inheritance (/thread-305.html)

[from news] Upcoming special edition of the Inheritance - Mellow the Minstrel - May-06-2011

Upcoming special edition of the Inheritance

Subterranean Press (the publication company behind A Fantasy Medley) have announced they will release a special limited edition of the Inheritance and Other Stories later this year. This will be a edition of 1000 signed copies, 800 of them cloth bound copies with the trade edition dust jacket and 200 leatherbound copies, with a different dust jacket and exclusive full-color endsheets. The dust jacket and interior illustrations will be done by Tom Kidd. You can preorder the book already and if you preorder before May 13th, you'll get a discount. See their press release for details.

Props to Raija for finding out about this first! Smiling

https://www.theplenty.net/index.php?id=391

RE: [from news] Upcoming special edition of the Inheritance - Mervi - May-06-2011

I'm seriously debating whether or not to get one. I waaaaaant a copy Big Grin but they are very pricey, even with the current discount. However, they DO manufacture REALLY pretty books as anyone with a copy of [[A Fantasy Medley]] can tell you - and the thing is, if you're thinking about getting one, you should buy it now. It is a limited edition and there won't be more - and 2nd hand copies of these will likely be even more expensive. Btw, I'm not affiliated with them in any way, so that's not the reason I'm urging people to act. P It's just that copies of the trade edition of AFM (which was a much larger printing, 3000 copies!) were originally $20 and are now selling between $90 and $200 in amazon and ebay - and most of the time no one's even listing them! So if you're willing to invest in this book, you should buy it new.

(Of course one can argue that a factor in the ridiculous AFM prices is that it's the only publication with [[Words Like Coins]] in it and there are plenty of cheaper ways to get to own a copy of the stories in the Inheritance. So it will be quite interesting to see how these will sell and what the 2nd hand price will come to be.)

RE: [from news] Upcoming special edition of the Inheritance - Albertosaurus Rex - May-06-2011

I do not understand this.

The Inheritance came out barely a month ago, and later this year they're already releasing a special edition? I just paid the hardcover price to aquire this book and now they want me to pay more for the same stories all over again?

I could understand this if it were a special edition of, say, The Farseer Trilogy. Many people do not own those books in hardcover (Indeed, for the first two books there is no US hardcover), only in pocket paperbacks that might be in tatters by now. I might even shell out for a Farseer special edition. But The Inheritance? Forget it.

RE: [from news] Upcoming special edition of the Inheritance - finella - May-09-2011

(May-06-2011, 12:23 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: I could understand this if it were a special edition of, say, The Farseer Trilogy. Many people do not own those books in hardcover (Indeed, for the first two books there is no US hardcover), only in pocket paperbacks that might be in tatters by now. I might even shell out for a Farseer special edition. But The Inheritance? Forget it.

That’s exactly the point, I ponder about too. Up to now I in vain tried to get the first Farseer book in Hardover (for a reasonable price), the other two are different editions. I probably would pay a little fortune for a special edition. Also The Lifeship Traders I’d love to own in a nicer edition. Mine is an old hardcover edition, which is used and doesn’t look that nice anymore. Anyway, I think your’re absolutely right.
I think, it's something for collectors. If I start collecting special editions, I'll be in rags pretty soon. And I wouldn't want to start with The Inheritance (although in a small part of my brain, I'd love to buy it. The illustrations seem to be wonderful. But 80 $ - puh Crying)

RE: [from news] Upcoming special edition of the Inheritance - Mervi - May-12-2011

I agree the timing is really weird.

RE: [from news] Upcoming special edition of the Inheritance - Maulkin's Tangle - Jun-10-2011

Also agree:

I've come into this discussion late, but was swithering about getting the special edition - it's just too expensive though, especially when we have all just shelled out for the original Hardback - a bit of blatent profiteering.

Now, I would have considered it more if all had been released at the same time and we had a choice to buy one.