thePlenty.net Forums
Reading Wizard of the Pigeons (Spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Seattle and beyond (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Reading Wizard of the Pigeons (Spoilers) (/thread-312.html)

Pages: 1 2

Reading Wizard of the Pigeons (Spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - May-30-2011

Alright, so I'm trying to do my own analyzing-as-I-go type of topic. Wizard of the Pigeons is a fairly short novel, just under 300 pages. I'm currently on page 110. It's a typical Lindholm book: readable, but not quite as good as a Hobb novel. It reminds me a little of her short story The Fifth Squashed Cat: it takes place in our world, which does have magic but you have to be prepared to follow some pretty odd rules to use it.

RE: Reading Wizard of the Pigeons (Spoilers) - Farseer - May-30-2011

(May-30-2011, 09:38 AM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Alright, so I'm trying to do my own analyzing-as-I-go type of topic.

*thumbs up* Good on you, Albertosaurus Rex - I look forward to being able to join in with the discussion sometime soon! Smiling

RE: Reading Wizard of the Pigeons (Spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - May-30-2011

RE: Reading Wizard of the Pigeons (Spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - May-30-2011

Farseer, did you order a copy too? Just askin'...

RE: Reading Wizard of the Pigeons (Spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - May-31-2011

RE: Reading Wizard of the Pigeons (Spoilers) - Farseer - May-31-2011

(May-30-2011, 07:08 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Farseer, did you order a copy too? Just askin'...

No, but I will. So much for not purchasing new books in 2011!! Big Grin

ps I like how you've presented your progress with just the page number and then the spoilers...If only I'd thought to jot down my own progresses in the same fashion!

RE: Reading Wizard of the Pigeons (Spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - May-31-2011

RE: Reading Wizard of the Pigeons (Spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - Jun-06-2011

I just realized that maybe somebody wants to know my final verdict without reading the spoilers, so here it is: this novel had promise, but eventually failed to deliver. It was a disappointment to me. I find that on the whole, while I have never been disappointed with a Hobb novel, the Lindholm novels are more hit and miss for me.

Join me later when I'll be taking Alien Earth off my to-read pile. But I don't know when that will be yet...

RE: Reading Wizard of the Pigeons (Spoilers) - Farseer - Jun-06-2011

(Jun-06-2011, 04:45 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: I just realized that maybe somebody wants to know my final verdict without reading the spoilers, so here it is: this novel had promise, but eventually failed to deliver. It was a disappointment to me. I find that on the whole, while I have never been disappointed with a Hobb novel, the Lindholm novels are more hit and miss for me.

As one who fell into that category, thanks Albertosaurus Rex! Flowers I am trying to source a copy from a library so I can come back and read along 'with you'.

If I remember correctly, WotP is the book that Robin has received the most interest from as far as possible screen adaptations go?

(Jun-06-2011, 04:45 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Join me later when I'll be taking Alien Earth off my to-read pile.

We'll be here! Slurp

EDIT: Cute new avatar! Big Grin What's the story behind this one?

RE: Reading Wizard of the Pigeons (Spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - Jun-07-2011

I wouldn't know about screen adaptations, but I have been told that Wizard of the Pigeons is Lindholm's most popular book. These days, shelves are overflowing with urban fantasy, but back in 1986, when this book was first released, setting a fantasy in our own world was far more original.

As for Alien Earth: it might take a while before I read that one. There are some other books I want to read first, so don't hold your breath. It might easily take a few months.

As for my new avatar... that's Rainbow Dash, a character from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

No, really. I read that the show has a lot of adult male fans and I was completely baffled, so I decided to watch an episode just to see what the fuss was all about. And before I knew it, I was hooked. It is totally hilarious, cute without making you want to gag, and all around fun to watch.