thePlenty.net Forums
Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) (/thread-319.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) - fool-ish - Jul-08-2012

The Paragon/Fool thing played on my mind for quite a while..it quite broke my heart to think Paragon may have known about Fool's torture and death. Truly, I'm an over-emotional fool sometimes..Blushing

RE: Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) - 'thul - Jul-09-2012

even if he knew, he would not have made a point of it.

RE: Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) - fool-ish - Jul-09-2012

(Jul-09-2012, 06:07 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: even if he knew, he would not have made a point of it.

Maybe not, but if he could feel even a modicum of fool's pain, it'd be enough to hurt him inside. Well I think so anyways.

RE: Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) - joost - Jul-09-2012

(Jul-08-2012, 07:14 PM (UTC))londonlassie Wrote:
(Jun-16-2011, 12:19 AM (UTC))Omie Wrote: - How would a Liveship feel to one with the Wit sense? It might have said this somewhere in the books but I can't remember.

I think Fitz mentioned he didn't like the magic and wasn't comfortable around it? I might be wrong, it's been a while since I read the Farseer set.
I think he mentions it when he's talking to the Fool when the Fool visits him the first time in his cottage in Fool's errand.

RE: Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) - Farseer - Jul-10-2012

^ I think I have responded to this thought somewhere earlier but, hey, I can't help myself! Big Grin Yep, during the tale of his journey south to Bingtown/the Cursed Shores (I loved that he even went down Rain Wild Street, as though he missed Fool and Amber's presence pulled him there! Smiling ) and then up the Rain River a short way (where Kelsingra - the city and the land - also called to him Wink ), Fitz told Fool that both he and Nighteyes had seen a liveship and it was a grim magic that they would never be comfortable around. For me it seemed a reaction similar to how Fitz wished to avoid the memory stone track on Others Island when he went there with Dutiful, among other things.Cross-threading galore here! Surrender

His dizziness etc in reaction to Rain Wild Street is interesting also but that's for another day/thread, methinks... P

I am looking forward (or is that living in hope?!) to Paragon meeting Fitz face-to-face someday not too far away. Paragon has seen Fitz through his link with Amber but how will they be together should they meet?

RE: Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) - fool-ish - Jul-10-2012

"Fitz, meet paragon. Paragon, meet Fitz" I'd love for this to happen! P

RE: Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) - Farseer - Jul-24-2012

Today, in the company of Newsgroup friends, I learned the answer to a LST question that has befuddled me forever but I have forgotten all about ever asking! Yay

Did you ever wonder why it was that Althea and Brashen made such a fuss about Amber placing the hatch cover as she did within Paragon? Well, you may not have P but I always thought, Uhhuh "What's the big deal? I'd have thought that a very sensible idea, really..." Blink

Well, there is actually a sailor's superstition that says (this was taken from Williams and Company's Marine Superstitions- Volume One but there are many other sources):

"Hatch Upside Down - Placing a hatchcover or manhole upside down is bad luck. There are various explanations. Upside down covers forebode of a capsized vessel. Practically speaking, all hatches and manholes should be in the sealed position while at sea in any event; to do otherwise is said to be bad practice. This superstition is known to have been modified on some vessels to prohibit buckets of water from being placed on the hatchcover – possibly symbolizing standing water over the hatch, a bad situation in any case."

Ah, good stuff. Clapping Even better that Amber built it, and I am sure that even Brashen would had to have agreed...! Big Grin

RE: Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) - 'thul - Jul-24-2012

These beings thought it was not so much a dislike of a hatchcover per se, but as a significant modification of the wizardwood hull.

RE: Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) - fool-ish - Jul-24-2012

I thought the same 'thul..all to do with spoiling the wizardwood hull. Now, I'm not so sure, though that could still be a small part of it, maybe?

RE: Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) - 'thul - Jul-24-2012

bingtowners are crazy when it comes to outsiders messing with wizardwood...