thePlenty.net Forums
Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) (/thread-319.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) - 'thul - Sep-28-2012

kennit wasn't exactly the marrying sort...

RE: Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) - londonlassie - Sep-29-2012

True, but his little charm effectively "married" himself to her in the end, taking it upon himself to make Etta think Kennit was watching over her.

Although, I found it difficult to believe she'd never work out that the charm was sentient. Everyone who touches a Liveship senses the underlying awareness, eg Brashen and Vivacia, even if it's not quickened. While the charm got away with pretending to be Kennit while the real Kennit was actually there, I doubt he could talk to Etta and not eventually have her realise it was the charm. But I suppose he'd essentially let her believe he was "Kennit", like a repository for all Kennit's feelings for her or something to help her along after he died.

Or the "Marry-Etta" could have been referring, not to Kennit, but to Wintrow, who almost definitely wanted to.

Although, as much as I adore going into such things in depth and trying to work out what they refer to, it was probably sheer coincidence. Undecided

EDIT: I'm liking the new signature, 'thul beings. Clapping

RE: Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) - 'thul - Sep-29-2012

thanks, londonlassie... found it (more or less) in a book. can't recall what book it was, though...

As for the charm... it is much smaller than a ship, and as such, it has less essence to work with. It also has fewer means of making its advantage noticeable... a ship might have better-working pulleys, fewer leaks, etc... a charm can't have same amount of things...

RE: Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) - Farseer - Sep-30-2012

(Sep-29-2012, 05:34 PM (UTC))londonlassie Wrote: True, but his little charm effectively "married" himself to her in the end, taking it upon himself to make Etta think Kennit was watching over her....

....Or the "Marry-Etta" could have been referring, not to Kennit, but to Wintrow, who almost definitely wanted to.

Oh, I like all that. Indeed I do! Thankful And the Marietta did end up being Wintrow's as part of the entire inherited fleet.

Quote:Although, I found it difficult to believe she'd never work out that the charm was sentient. Everyone who touches a Liveship senses the underlying awareness, eg Brashen and Vivacia, even if it's not quickened. While the charm got away with pretending to be Kennit while the real Kennit was actually there, I doubt he could talk to Etta and not eventually have her realise it was the charm. But I suppose he'd essentially let her believe he was "Kennit", like a repository for all Kennit's feelings for her or something to help her along after he died.

I agree but then the same could possibly be said for Wintrow who, through his bloodlines, bond with Vivacia, contact with She Who Remembers and priestly training (training in what I believe to be the Skill, if not the Wit) should have sensed something if anyone was going to? He had sensitivity and a bond to/with Vivacia but I can't recall any true awareness noted between he and the charm. I will have to keep an eye out for this during my re-read Detective but I expect that both he and Etta will eventually work out the charm's worth/role as time progresses and the boy Paragon grows...and they may all share a relationship with it in much the same vein as was experienced in The Inheritance.

Life calls... Down

RE: Random questions about Liveships (spoilers Farseer, LST and TM) - 'thul - Sep-30-2012

They would probably work it out. Or they might be informed of it.