thePlenty.net Forums
Tattoos, piercings and body modifications: why? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Tattoos, piercings and body modifications: why? (/thread-321.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Tattoos, piercings and body modifications: why? - Farseer - Oct-05-2011

(Oct-05-2011, 12:49 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: Actually, there is one form of chewing fingernails that is quite and entirely wrong.
Chewing fingernails that do not belong to yourself.

Clapping I'll pay that!

(Oct-05-2011, 12:49 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: What is a "number four length"? (these beings do not feel like googling it)

A number given to a cut/shave usually corresponds to the blade attachment number used with electrical clippers and therefore makes it easier to request the length of the cut you'd like eg You'd say to the hairdresser or person cutting your hair, "I'd like a Number Four, please," and they would then use a number four attachment to shave your head, leaving a number four length of stubble behind. The smaller the number on the blade attachment (which is just a plastic comb-like piece that sits over the blade and can be attached or removed very easily), the shorter the cut so a Number One is much shorter than a Number Four. As far as I can tell, from my own clipper sets, you'd just use the blade directly (and not use any attachment) if you wanted to shave your head and leave no hair at all behind.

The length of the cut per attachment varies a little depending on the type/brand of clipper set you use but generally it's a reliable way of ensuring you get the length you want (unless someone accidentally slips on the wrong attachment! Big Grin ).

I have become good enough at hair-cutting over the years to not have to bother with the clipper set any more but it is a handy tool to have around, especially when you live in the middle of nowhere and even your closest town has no hairdresser or barber. Nearly all of the men we've ever had working here just shave their own heads, and do a good job, so it's easy to operate by yourself as well...and much less expensive than paying someone to do it for you!

Is it only here in Australia that this system is used?

RE: Tattoos, piercings and body modifications: why? - 'thul - Oct-05-2011

The exact system does not sound familiar. These beings' hair cutting machine uses incremental adjustment, each increment roughly 3mm or so.

It is indeed much cheaper to buy a machine rather than to pay someone to do it every time. And it does not require an appointment. ('thul cut 'thul's hair at around half past midnight sometime last year.

The cutter does not remove all the hair. It leaves a slight stubble behind, maybe 1/3rd mm or so. An electric razor would remove that too. The base principle on an electric haircutter prevents it from fully removing the hairs. It does, however look like everything is gone the first day or so unless one looks very closely...

RE: Tattoos, piercings and body modifications: why? - Nuytsia - Oct-06-2011

(Oct-05-2011, 01:34 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: What right do I truly have though to stop her from chewing her nails if it doesn't really matter? She is in no danger. She isn't doing anything 'wrong'. She isn't causing herself or anybody else any harm. It really is more of an aesthetic or 'socially-acceptable' standard that I am enforcing, particularly as my eldest son also chews his nails and I gave up worrying about it many years ago. He's a male...who cares?...he's not expected to have pretty nails.

As a germophobe I say she could be in danger if she eats some germs Uhhuh

But hey I used to bite my nails as a kid and I just grew out of it.
In fact people complement me on my nice long natural fingernails, so maybe chewing them as a kid makes them stronger Big Grin

(Oct-05-2011, 01:34 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: @Nuytsia: Yes, my second set of holes are still open and visible despite not having worn earrings pretty much since I pierced them! Mine also didn't get infected at any stage, though my original set are prone to infection as I am allergic to silver.

Ahhhh

RE: Tattoos, piercings and body modifications: why? - 'thul - Oct-06-2011

That is not unlikely, nuytsia... HIstorical freak shows with bearded women often gained the beard by regularly shaving face until the miniscule hairs started growing in more and more. same can be said about male human beards. regular shaving does promote increased growth. Logic would not deny the possibility that nail growth is accelerated similarly by regular cutting (be it with teeth or artificial instruments)

RE: Tattoos, piercings and body modifications: why? - Farseer - Oct-06-2011

(Oct-06-2011, 03:27 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: As a germophobe I say she could be in danger if she eats some germs Uhhuh

Now there's a legitimate way of backing my behaviour...bring on the cacky-tasting cacti substance! P

RE: Tattoos, piercings and body modifications: why? - 'thul - Oct-06-2011

most germs are harmless... for that matter, so are also most germans...

anyways... try combing with cruel and unusual punishment... if she's caught chewing nails, make her type something on a computer while wearing gloves... its beyond difficult...

or just get her a chew toy to carry around...

(yup, 'thul are up to giving out crazy and generally poor suggestions that have some twisted form of merit to them.

RE: Tattoos, piercings and body modifications: why? - fool-ish - Oct-07-2011

I bite my nails in fits and starts (husband generally tells me off and asks if I want a dummy at these times!) When I'm feeling a little stressed, I can bite them all off in one sitting. Though, at the moment I'm making a concerted effort to grow them because I want them long and paintable for my annual trip to Whitby Gothic Weekend in 4 weeks time. They're going to be a vibrant red to match my outfit.

@ 'thul, my toes are curling up at the thought of chewing toenails! I don't do feet..at all, ever!

RE: Tattoos, piercings and body modifications: why? - fool-ish - Oct-15-2011

Random, I know, but you know those nails I'm doing a grand job of growing? Well, I've just taken a bloody great chunk out of my right thumbnail through knocking it on the bathroom sink! Apart from being very sore, I'm gutted that it's happened now when I want them to look nice! Crying

RE: Tattoos, piercings and body modifications: why? - 'thul - Oct-15-2011

hmm... perhaps encasing them in some form of transparent composite material is the solution?

RE: Tattoos, piercings and body modifications: why? - fool-ish - Oct-15-2011

(Oct-15-2011, 09:17 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: hmm... perhaps encasing them in some form of transparent composite material is the solution?
Could be, if I had any such thing to hand. I don't think I'm meant to have nice nails...payback for years of chewing on them!