thePlenty.net Forums
We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books incl City of Dragons) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books incl City of Dragons) (/thread-323.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books incl City of Dragons) - jasonresno - Jul-13-2011

First off I just want to say hey and introduce myself. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been reading Hobb as far back as I can remember (I thank my dad for introducing me to the series when I was a kid).

But to the topic at hand: Throughout the Realm of the Elderlings we get constant references to Chalced and even hear a little bit of backstory through Burrich and even Kyle Haven from the Liveship series. But mainly all we hear are awful things. I would love to read from the viewpoint of someone from Chalced or even a story set in Chalced so we can see the positives of the land and have a bit of complexity with the characters.

Anyone else agree?

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. - Farseer - Jul-13-2011

G'day jasonresno! It's terrific that you've finally decided to take the plunge - welcome to 'member' status! Slurp

To the matter at hand, like many others here on thePlenty, I absolutely agree that we need a story set in Chalced, and I think we will have to get one. I can't truly see the story reaching full circle without it.

I am also certain that there will be a positive spin on the otherwise notoriously negative aspects we have heard of that part of the realm. Just like we, and those who inhabit the RotE, have had our eyes opened to the differences and similarities of other peoples and beings that inhabit the realm, I am sure we will discover that many in Chalced are not so bad after all...

...the same may also be said of Others' Island, but that's another thread! P

We've had a couple of other discussions re Chalced, if you're interested in taking a look and haven't seen them yet. No time to find them all now but here is at least one that I can think of, off the top of my head - A way to end the war with Chalced .

Bring on Chalced, and Others' Island, and the lands north of the Mountain Kingdom, and the Land of the Great Sail Fleet and...! Big Grin

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. - Farseer - Jul-16-2011

(Jul-13-2011, 02:59 AM (UTC))jasonresno Wrote: Throughout the Realm of the Elderlings we get constant references to Chalced and even hear a little bit of backstory through Burrich and even Kyle Haven from the Liveship series. But mainly all we hear are awful things. I would love to read from the viewpoint of someone from Chalced or even a story set in Chalced so we can see the positives of the land and have a bit of complexity with the characters.

It has occurred to me, since reading this thread, that the pilgrims who Kettle travelled with in AQ were from Chalced. In fact it was around that time that we first learned (from Kettle) of elfbark's use in keeping Chalcedean slaves in check.

The pilgrims were making their way from Chalced to seek Eda's shrine in the Mountain Kingdom. At least one parent of the group was hoping to improve her son's ill health by embarking on the pilgrimage there. Although it was an expensive exercise for her and her family, she had the funds to undertake the journey and so was obviously not of slave stock or fleeing/seeking refuge out of Chalced?

Nothing too enlightening, but a glimpse that there are those in Chalced who, at the very least, share similarities with other groups from within the realm eg a faith in Eda.

I've also added a spoiler tag in the title. Smiling

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. - jasonresno - Jul-17-2011

(Jul-16-2011, 04:58 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote:
(Jul-13-2011, 02:59 AM (UTC))jasonresno Wrote: Throughout the Realm of the Elderlings we get constant references to Chalced and even hear a little bit of backstory through Burrich and even Kyle Haven from the Liveship series. But mainly all we hear are awful things. I would love to read from the viewpoint of someone from Chalced or even a story set in Chalced so we can see the positives of the land and have a bit of complexity with the characters.

It has occurred to me, since reading this thread, that the pilgrims who Kettle travelled with in AQ were from Chalced. In fact it was around that time that we first learned (from Kettle) of elfbark's use in keeping Chalcedean slaves in check.

The pilgrims were making their way from Chalced to seek Eda's shrine in the Mountain Kingdom. At least one parent of the group was hoping to improve her son's ill health by embarking on the pilgrimage there. Although it was an expensive exercise for her and her family, she had the funds to undertake the journey and so was obviously not of slave stock or fleeing/seeking refuge out of Chalced?

Nothing too enlightening, but a glimpse that there are those in Chalced who, at the very least, share similarities with other groups from within the realm eg a faith in Eda.

I've also added a spoiler tag in the title. Smiling
I actually didn't notice that when I read through it. I guess I was thrown off of the fact that they weren't murdering/raping everyone P.

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books) - 'thul - Jul-17-2011

boring when they forget that, isnt it?

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books) - Nuytsia - Jul-18-2011

heh, most movie/tv producers would seem to agree!

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. - Farseer - Apr-21-2012

(Jul-16-2011, 04:58 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: It has occurred to me, since reading this thread, that the pilgrims who Kettle travelled with in AQ were from Chalced. In fact it was around that time that we first learned (from Kettle) of elfbark's use in keeping Chalcedean slaves in check.

Just came across this old post of mine and it links to another that I bumped earlier in the evening re religious beliefs within Chalced...

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books) - londonlassie - Jul-06-2012

I'm not sure how much I'd like a story set in Chalced, but it's a brilliant idea and I hope Robin does one anyway. I'm definitely not the biggest fan of the Chalcedean culture, as my dislike of Kyle Haven makes clear, but it feels like we've gotten to know every culture in the ROTE except from Chalced. It's only seen as a warfaring, unpleasant nation by the Six Duchies people/the Bingtowners, and showed as manipulative and evil in its dealings with Jamaillia. There's got to be more than one side to a nation, and it'd be interesting to see Chalced's.

I have to admit, I did spend quite a lot of time trying to analyse the language in that tiny snippet we saw in Ship Of Destiny when the Satrap sends Malta to fetch a book from the Chalcedean captain. Hobb must have been influenced by some kind of language from a real country...I was thinking along the lines of Czech, Slovak etc. Any other ideas? Smiling

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books) - Cara Vestrit - Jul-18-2012

well, if you're looking for more action in Chalced ...

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books) - 'thul - Jul-18-2012

That spoiler was cruel. Utterly cruel.

Now come here. You are food, yes?