thePlenty.net Forums
We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books incl City of Dragons) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books incl City of Dragons) (/thread-323.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books) - Farseer - Jul-18-2012

^ *grins* Big Grin

(Jul-06-2012, 09:51 PM (UTC))londonlassie Wrote: There's got to be more than one side to a nation, and it'd be interesting to see Chalced's.

I think I may have said as much in the War with Chalced thread Blushing but these other dimensions no doubt *do* exist, as they have/do for all other centres eg residents of the Six Duchies are not so barbaric as those from Bingtown first believed, just as those from the Out Islands are not so barbaric as those from the Six Duchies first believed. Of course, delving into a culture or nation at a personal level is more likely to be required to get a true sense of similarities and differences within 'peoples', and so a story actually set within Chalced would likely deliver a clearer picture than just the doings of a character that comes from there eg Kyle. It may not be *fully* set in Chalced but City of Dragons is set there enough in that it has already taken us into its borders and within the mind of the one at the nation's heart...love it! Yay

I think Chalced will surprise us as it returns to the folds of the realm in the rebalancing/reuniting of the world. It will have had a hugely important role to play within the realm's history and the history of the Elderlings and dragons of old, and so I believe that much will be revealed with Chalced as its source (the use of elfbark for slaves is more to do with quelching any Skill ability than just making them energised enough to work, in my mind!). There is lots of potential for positive change with the downward-spiralling of the current Duke's condition and, with a strong-willed daughter as he seems to have, I think I'd be pinning my hopes on her to be the one to help create it for Chalced. She certainly has the women behind her, has courage to stand up to her father in 'a man's world' and sounds intelligent to boot.

In having said that, I am looking forward to seeing where the healing powers of Elderling and dragon body parts takes us in the plot...from my understandiing, the Duke had improved somewhat by the end of CoD, after consuming a part of Selden. Ouch This would all not be unlike the healing that comes from a Skill or Wit-healing or a healing that can take place when in proximity to a liveship. Should the Duke become a healthy force once more, it may be that his daughter will have to do something drastic, or far more different, rather than just waiting for him to die.

EDIT: Creating a paragraph break here and adding some little bits to avoid confusion! Smiling END EDIT As for Selden's current situation, I don't believe that he could die/will be killed. Someone will have to save him and it seems that she is the best placed/of a strong will to do so?

Just scanned a few of the posts below the text box before clicking 'Post Reply' and it seems I touched on this a bit already, a year ago so pre-CoD, and likely in the other Chalced thread as well! Surrender Innocent

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books incl City of Dragons) - 'thul - Jul-19-2012

The real problem in chalced isn't the people as a whole... there are probably, as you say, good people there too...

The problem lies in the duke and his nobles... The ones with real power. And in certain traditions... The ones with power there appear somewhat to suffer from slight to strong xenophobia...
The common people have no real choice but to obey. if the nobility were to die, they would probably develop into a different society. especially if "encouraged" by others to do so...

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books) - londonlassie - Jul-21-2012

(Jul-18-2012, 11:05 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: ^ *grins* Big Grin

(Jul-06-2012, 09:51 PM (UTC))londonlassie Wrote: There's got to be more than one side to a nation, and it'd be interesting to see Chalced's.

I think I may have said as much in the War with Chalced thread Blushing but these other dimensions no doubt *do* exist, as they have/do for all other centres eg residents of the Six Duchies are not so barbaric as those from Bingtown first believed, just as those from the Out Islands are not so barbaric as those from the Six Duchies first believed. Of course, delving into a culture or nation at a personal level is more likely to be required to get a true sense of similarities and differences within 'peoples', and so a story actually set within Chalced would likely deliver a clearer picture than just the doings of a character that comes from there eg Kyle. It may not be *fully* set in Chalced but City of Dragons is set there enough in that it has already taken us into its borders and within the mind of the one at the nation's heart...love it! Yay

I think Chalced will surprise us as it returns to the folds of the realm in the rebalancing/reuniting of the world. It will have had a hugely important role to play within the realm's history and the history of the Elderlings and dragons of old, and so I believe that much will be revealed with Chalced as its source (the use of elfbark for slaves is more to do with quelching any Skill ability than just making them energised enough to work, in my mind!). There is lots of potential for positive change with the downward-spiralling of the current Duke's condition and, with a strong-willed daughter as he seems to have, I think I'd be pinning my hopes on her to be the one to help create it for Chalced. She certainly has the women behind her, has courage to stand up to her father in 'a man's world' and sounds intelligent to boot.

In having said that, I am looking forward to seeing where the healing powers of Elderling and dragon body parts takes us in the plot...from my understandiing, the Duke had improved somewhat by the end of CoD, after consuming a part of Selden. Ouch This would all not be unlike the healing that comes from a Skill or Wit-healing or a healing that can take place when in proximity to a liveship. Should the Duke become a healthy force once more, it may be that his daughter will have to do something drastic, or far more different, rather than just waiting for him to die. I don't believe that Selden could die. Someone will have to save him and it seems that she is the best placed/of a strong will to do so?

Just scanned a few of the posts below the text box before clicking 'Post Reply' and it seems I touched on this a bit already, a year ago so pre-CoD, and likely in the other Chalced thread as well! Surrender Innocent

I think I may have missed all this. When was it revealed that the Duke had a daughter, and when did Selden start dying? Blink

Note from Farseer: Sorry! I meant to amend my own post but accidentally did it here using Mod buttons...have fixed it back and amended my own now!

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books incl City of Dragons) - Farseer - Jul-21-2012

Have you read City of Dragons, londonlassie?

It's not Selden who is dying (of course, I shouldn't have spoken previously of the Duke dying and then followed it immediately, without a paragraph break, with my statement about believing that Selden won't die...it reads as though it could be Selden who is dying...I think? :/ P ) but he has the potential to both die or be killed seeing as he's in a rather bad fix. I don't want to say too much if you haven't read CoD though!

I'm questioning myself now but I'm positive that the Duke has a daughter who has started a bit of a 'female resistance' for want of a better way to put it. I thought this was revealed quite early on in CoD...or have I stumbled onto something elsewhere online that I shouldn't have?! Blink Off to check unless someone can help in the meantime...

Yes, in Chapter One of CoD (page 15 in my UK version), it first tells of his daughter:

Quote:...he was down to one useless daughter...

Flowers

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books incl City of Dragons) - joost - Jul-21-2012

Yes, the daughter is Chassim.

And now I need to shut up or I'll start spoiling things for BoD....

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books incl City of Dragons) - Farseer - Jul-22-2012

^ P

(Jul-19-2012, 07:13 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: The ones with power there appear somewhat to suffer from slight to strong xenophobia...
The common people have no real choice but to obey. if the nobility were to die, they would probably develop into a different society. especially if "encouraged" by others to do so...

I agree, and this is well evidenced by what happened between the Six Duchies and the Out Islands once Dutiful and Elliania were wed, and those who were encouraging division, Kebal Rawbread and the Pale Woman, were done away with. Plenty of weddings, for both the nobility and common folk, and smaller political alliances were willingly made thereafter. Once the negative leadership element was squelched, it was as though the forging of the bond between the buck and the narwhal’s ‘royalty’ gave everyone within the two groups permission to put aside past grievances and overcome any cultural shortcomings or prejudices.

It’s surprising how quickly friendship can blossom when allowed or encouraged to do so, and this swiftness suggests that, for the most part, people are/have long been readily prepared to forgive…they just needed permission from the upper echelon to do so.

The same would be for Chalced. Delete the negative element (in this case the Duke) who is usually the leader or within the folds of leadership and replace it with an element willing to give Chalced permission to mingle in friendship with its neighbours. I think it will have to come in the form of Chassim as she is the Duke's daughter and in a potential leadership position. Whilst she is a woman and, as we have found out in CoD and through Kyle in LST etc, women are not considered 'leader material' in Chalced, maybe change is coming for Chalced in the form of a strong woman (Chassim) with a group of strong women behind her. If she is wanting to create change and build an army of sorts with housewives etc, imagine how formidable she would be and how much change she could help create in the realm given unlimited resources and the power of a leadership title behind her? She obviously wants to lift the shroud of suppression that *she* lives under, by any means that she is able to do so, and so is likely to want to lift it from all of those who are suppressed in Chalced (women, slaves, Skilled ones etc).

Likely I should be carrying on about all of this in the CoD thread though. Blushing

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books incl City of Dragons) - londonlassie - Jul-25-2012

(Jul-21-2012, 01:15 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Have you read City of Dragons, londonlassie?

Ah. That's why I have no idea what's going on P I think I may withdraw from this thread until I have read it. Book

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books incl City of Dragons) - Farseer - Jul-25-2012

Looking forward to your getting back in here sometime soon. Smiling

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books incl City of Dragons) - Farseer - Mar-24-2013

Another post-CoD but pre-BoD thread for you, Wolfang...to keep you in the fold and help you not forget while you wait...

RE: We need a story set in Chalced. (Spoilers all books incl City of Dragons) - Luckheart - May-17-2013

I'd be interested to see an expanded version of the story of Burrich, even if it was just a short story Smiling