thePlenty.net Forums
Wintrow/Kennit SPOILERS ALL HOBB BOOKS INCL COD - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Wintrow/Kennit SPOILERS ALL HOBB BOOKS INCL COD (/thread-326.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Wintrow/Kennit FARSEER, LIVESHIP, TM SPOILERS - londonlassie - Sep-06-2012

(Sep-05-2012, 10:37 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: If anything, I feel sorrow for Paragon, for how he must have felt knowing that Kennit was capable of the things he was capable of. We talk about the love between Fitz and Fool and Nighteyes etc a lot, but I'm not sure that there's a greater or truer love within the RotE than Paragon's for Kennit.

Paragon, bless him, probably has the biggest heart in the entire ROTE, and he doesn't even have a physical heart. Kennit was my favourite, but Paragon came in such a close second. It really upset me that in the end, Kennit couldn't bring himself to love Paragon back, even though when they met he even admitted to himself how much he'd once loved the ship. Paragon deserved Kennit to be a better person than he ended up. Ouch

But I suppose the complete and unconditional love of someone like Paragon just wasn't enough to compete with the amount of people in his life who hurt him.

Blimey, the pair of them are tragic. Crying

(Sep-05-2012, 10:37 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Coming back to respond to all of the other good stuff...

Looking forward to it! Slurp Big Grin

On a side note, I'm not sure where else to put this, but as of Saturday we'll be in a new house and it has no internet, so I probably won't make it online until October when the company make it out to fit our phone line *sob*

It's going to be torture... Rant

RE: Wintrow/Kennit FARSEER, LIVESHIP, TM SPOILERS - Farseer - Sep-07-2012

(Sep-06-2012, 06:15 PM (UTC))londonlassie Wrote: On a side note, I'm not sure where else to put this, but as of Saturday we'll be in a new house and it has no internet, so I probably won't make it online until October when the company make it out to fit our phone line *sob*
It's going to be torture... Rant

Blink Nnnnoooooooooooo! Down Crying

I share your pain, having just gone through it all and am still trying to sort out phonelines. We'll miss you... Slurp ...this will be our last dance of dances for a few weeks. Dance

As for such news updates, you can always pop it into the What's happening in your world? thread...but tacking it on here is fine too. Smiling

See you in October and enjoy your move (knowing full well just how unenjoyable moving can be! Wink ). Flowers

RE: Wintrow/Kennit FARSEER, LIVESHIP, TM SPOILERS - 'thul - Sep-07-2012

These beings will miss thee.

RE: Wintrow/Kennit FARSEER, LIVESHIP, TM SPOILERS - finella - Sep-07-2012

Oh, I'll miss you too Down! Have a good moving and read you again in October.

RE: Wintrow/Kennit FARSEER, LIVESHIP, TM SPOILERS - londonlassie - Sep-07-2012

Aww, thanks you guys! I'll miss you all too, I think I will go mad without people to Hobb with P But this is my final day of internet for a while, so I look forward to reading you all again in October! Slurp Grouphug Dance

RE: Wintrow/Kennit FARSEER, LIVESHIP, TM SPOILERS - KekPafrany - Sep-07-2012

(Sep-07-2012, 12:09 PM (UTC))londonlassie Wrote: Aww, thanks you guys! I'll miss you all too, I think I will go mad without people to Hobb with P But this is my final day of internet for a while, so I look forward to reading you all again in October! Slurp Grouphug Dance

Awww, I hope you get back soon to us.
Are there no places where you can use internet? Cafee and teahouses, even the McDonalds can have sometimes free wifi or cheep internet..

RE: Wintrow/Kennit FARSEER, LIVESHIP, TM SPOILERS - fool-ish - Sep-07-2012

Good luck with the move and see you again in October! Grouphug

RE: Wintrow/Kennit FARSEER, LIVESHIP, TM SPOILERS - Farseer - Sep-11-2012

I still have to come back and go into all of this but...

Kennit, as much as I hate him, is one of the most well-written characters I've ever been introduced to. He is so easy to like from both a reader's and fellow character's perspective because he is meant to be. His reasons and experiences for being so aside, he is the perfect human predator. While our world is dotted with those who attack their prey anonymously and through violent means, the larger (and more successful and difficult to pin down) portion attack through familiarity and love/friendship. They are devious and kind and, outside of instinct, concrete proof of their actions and intentions is often very extremely difficult to produce or quantify. They are experts at skirting and dodging and making others question themselves and it is very often these ones who are deemed by society as being 'good' or 'community-minded' or a 'pillar' of said society (you know you're addicted to RotE when your mind immediately flits to Skill Pillars and you wonder if a connection can be made! Wink Big Grin ).

Kennit is looked up to. He even has the title of 'King' Crown bestowed upon him and he goes to his grave (er, liveship Smiling ) with only a select few holding secret the truth of what he truly was. The one he physically hurt the most is not protected but questioned and punished (even by those who are closest to her), looked down on, made to feel guilty about her part.

The phone's ringing Down ... I say all this as being how I see Kennit, and I understand that many (most! P ) others see him differently.

RE: Wintrow/Kennit FARSEER, LIVESHIP, TM SPOILERS - 'thul - Sep-11-2012

true. he might not be a perfectly "nice" character, but no denying he's well-made... Besides, the utterly pure and flawless characters are just bland and boring...

RE: Wintrow/Kennit FARSEER, LIVESHIP, TM SPOILERS - Farseer - Sep-11-2012

(Sep-05-2012, 11:35 AM (UTC))londonlassie Wrote:
(Sep-05-2012, 05:17 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: For his own purposes he was able to set this aside for brief moments (say, with Vivacia, who he needed to woo so that he could possess her and thus venture up the Rain River, or even to also fill his base need to be linked to a liveship as he believed Paragon gone etc) but, essentially, he placed himself on a pedestal and distained all to save himself.

I did find it sad how Kennit wanted any liveship but his liveship. Paragon was the one creature who could have really healed Kennit, and Kennit just pushed him away. Crying

I believe that this, too, was a defence mechanism. We push away those who want to help us so that we protect ourselves. When we tire of being prodded in our soft, inner places, like an echidna (or porcupine or hedgehog for all of you non-Aussies! Smiling ) we ball ourselves up and protect ourselves with our spikes. In that position, we can't show both soft and spike...only spike, to no matter who comes along. The same is for Kennit. He can't go to Paragon for healing because he has to uncurl himself and expose himself to hurt in the doing. To expose himself to Paragon, he must expose himself to all and to protect himself from all, he must protect himself even from Paragon.

I understand that mechanism, and practice it at times. Knight Smiling That is not the piece of Kennit that I can't relate to. It is his predator side that I can't relate. For a time I felt like he could change if he but would and glimpsed the 'protector' role that I can relate to, and hoped that this would overtake his predator traits. In this 'protector role', I speak of how he felt that he had to protect Wintrow from experiencing what he had...but, while Wintrow did go untouched, I'm not sure that Kennit even took on this protector role with true and clear intentions, and his reactions to Althea as a feminine form of Wintrow is what makes me question that, I think.

I have known many Kennits and, well... Mad Rant Knight ...I can't help but go all Fitz-berserker when I speak of them these days. Big Grin Funny where you can get your courage when it's not yourself you have to defend.