thePlenty.net Forums
Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) (/thread-34.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Apricot - Jun-23-2011

My favorite has to be the Fool/Amber/Beloved however you choose to name him. But so many of the characters are also high on the list, Nighteyes, Burrich, Kettricken, Web are all up there. Fitz frustrates me at times and there has been more then one occasion when my husband has heard me moaning "Oh Fitz, why??" even on the re-reads when I know what's going to happen.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - jasonresno - Jul-20-2011

I LOVE the character of Kennit even though I HATE the man. He's absolutely charming and full of wit. His characters progression and then sharp regression made the Liveship Series really interesting for me. I loved that we, the reader, see such a different man than is the one portrayed to all of the other characters in the story.

The rest of my favorite characters have to be:

Kennit (the prior reasons)
The Fool (in all of his incarnations)
The Fitz (because I see so much of myself in him)
Brashen (a very /real/ character and also one of the most good hearted characters that Hobb has written)

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Farseer - Jul-23-2011

I know I've made my own 'favourites' list but I still have to comment!

(Jul-20-2011, 03:29 AM (UTC))jasonresno Wrote: Kennit (the prior reasons)

Yes, I absolutely hate Kennit but I think I am ready to grudgingly admit that he makes a great character. Did I really just cough up the latter? I daresay I'll revert to just hating him again when I get to my LST re-read! Wink

(Jul-20-2011, 03:29 AM (UTC))jasonresno Wrote: The Fool (in all of his incarnations)

*nods* I concur.

(Jul-20-2011, 03:29 AM (UTC))jasonresno Wrote: The Fitz (because I see so much of myself in him)

I'll say it again. I think I am a little in love with FitzChivalry Farseer.
So, when can we meet, jasonresno? Big Grin

(Jul-20-2011, 03:29 AM (UTC))jasonresno Wrote: Brashen (a very /real/ character and also one of the most good hearted characters that Hobb has written)

Yes! I also have to heartily agree. Clapping Brashen is a fair dinkum and true-hearted bloke. Ephron may have misjudged Wintrow but he was right on the money with Brashen.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - jasonresno - Jul-24-2011

(Jul-23-2011, 06:30 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I know I've made my own 'favourites' list but I still have to comment!

(Jul-20-2011, 03:29 AM (UTC))jasonresno Wrote: Kennit (the prior reasons)

Yes, I absolutely hate Kennit but I think I am ready to grudgingly admit that he makes a great character. Did I really just cough up the latter? I daresay I'll revert to just hating him again when I get to my LST re-read! Wink

(Jul-20-2011, 03:29 AM (UTC))jasonresno Wrote: The Fool (in all of his incarnations)

*nods* I concur.

(Jul-20-2011, 03:29 AM (UTC))jasonresno Wrote: The Fitz (because I see so much of myself in him)

I'll say it again. I think I am a little in love with FitzChivalry Farseer.
So, when can we meet, jasonresno? Big Grin

(Jul-20-2011, 03:29 AM (UTC))jasonresno Wrote: Brashen (a very /real/ character and also one of the most good hearted characters that Hobb has written)

Yes! I also have to heartily agree. Clapping Brashen is a fair dinkum and true-hearted bloke. Ephron may have misjudged Wintrow but he was right on the money with Brashen.

Ha, I fear I've inherited only his bad qualities. Attempts to do the right thing always turning out wrong, bouts of self pity followed by frenzied activity for improving (repeat cycle).

What I liked about Kennit was how absolutely terrible he was in his soul and how it was counterpointed by the fact that the consequence of every. one. of his actions caused great good somewhere else. Outside of what he did to Althea, had we not gotten into his eyes/POV, he would have been considered a hero of the series. Freeing slaves/capturing the Satrap and forcing upon him the treaty with the Pirate Isles/saving the Satraps life and so on.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - 'thul - Jul-24-2011

Indeed. Kennit may not have been good character morally, nor pushed forward by anything except selfish greed, but his actions did lead to much good...

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - fool-ish - Jul-25-2011

I'm currently re-reading Assassin's Quest for the second time and have decided Kettle will have to be up there with my favourites! A good, solid character who tells it like it is and has made me laugh a few times. It may just be me, but Kettle asking Fitz if he had fleas cracked me up earlier today. Big Grin

I think I must have rushed through this book on my first read. The fool, also is coming out with some cracking lines which I don't remember. It's all good Smiling

Just finished it tonight and found a fair amount that I truly did miss (or forgot) the first time around! Other goings on must have prevented my total immersion in the story, which is a very rare occurrence for me, as once I'm in a book, I can't get out until it's finished. Of course, I'll have to continue on again now with Tawny Man, see what I don't remember from those too!

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Farseer - Jul-27-2011

More to add when time allows but, yes, Kettle vs Fitz has long provided me with some belly laughs, that's for sure! Big Grin

I just quickly wanted to butt in (totally off-topic!) and ask if you will be going straight on to TM, or will you go via LST first? I, too, am in the middle of an AQ re-read (well, I would be if life would just stop for a while and allow me to continue...I can't believe how long it's taken me!) but, once I'm done, I'll be heading to Bingtown. I really need to do a LST re-read...!

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - jasonresno - Jul-27-2011

(Jul-27-2011, 12:44 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: More to add when time allows but, yes, Kettle vs Fitz has long provided me with some belly laughs, that's for sure! Big Grin

I just quickly wanted to butt in (totally off-topic!) and ask if you will be going straight on to TM, or will you go via LST first? I, too, am in the middle of an AQ re-read (well, I would be if life would just stop for a while and allow me to continue...I can't believe how long it's taken me!) but, once I'm done, I'll be heading to Bingtown. I really need to do a LST re-read...!

Highly recommend going to Bingtown and the LST series. I grew to love those characters almost as much as the ones back in Buck Wink.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - fool-ish - Jul-27-2011

I intend to purchase LST tomorrow from good old Amazon..pay day, yay! They'll take a few days to arrive though, so Fool's Errand it is while I wait. Fool's Fate will hold a few surprises for me I think, as I read a fair bit of that book while I was poorly. I remember reading one page at least 4 times, just wasn't sinking in really. So I look forward to that too Smiling

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Farseer - Jul-27-2011

That's great news re LST, fool-ish! Yay

I thoroughly enjoyed the development of the whole Dutiful/Fitz relationship in TM, and can't wait to get back there either (after AQ and LST). I'm not in too much of a rush though...just so long as I re-read the lot, including DK and DH, before City of Dragons comes out next year. Joker

Looking forward to your FE observations as you progress through!