thePlenty.net Forums
Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) (/thread-34.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - joost - Jan-06-2012

My favourite keepers are Sylve and Thymara.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - 'thul - Jan-07-2012

Sylve has such great potential that these beings feel is not put to its full use. Thymara is also a favorite of 'thul.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Farseer - Jan-07-2012

(Jan-06-2012, 10:47 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: My favourite keepers are Sylve and Thymara.

Gah! I'm going nuts trying to decide if they were your favourites before CoD or after...or both...and then wondering what they're up to!!! It's going to be a long month and then an even longer year!!! Surrender Big Grin

Not sure if I've said it in the past but Rapskal was my favourite keeper, while Sylve would be second in line.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - joost - Jan-07-2012

(Jan-07-2012, 09:54 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Gah! I'm going nuts trying to decide if they were your favourites before CoD or after
I'm only at chapter 5 of CoD. My view of Sylve and Thymara come from the first two books.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Farseer - Jan-07-2012

^ Good to know, thanks! P

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - fool-ish - Jan-07-2012

I've just finished DK. I like Thymara, Sylve and Tats, but Rapskal still stands out as favourite at the moment. Very much looking forward to starting DH some time today Smiling

And now, I'm adding Relpda to the list.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Valarya - Jan-11-2012

Rapskal and Tats were always my favorites. Thymara goes to the bottom of the pile along with Greft. I haaaaaaated Thymara. -_-

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Cara Vestrit - Jan-13-2012

First of all, I really, really love Althea, she is just amazing. I know people find her a annoying, but I understand her very well. Even when she is being utterly unreasonable or stupid I still get why. When she was mentioned in tawny man and reappeared in dragon keeper i was so happy. I just love her fighting spirit and her passion. And she and Breshen are so sweet together. I must admit i once read ship of magic while skipping all the parts except the one's with Althea. Blushing Although I like all the Vestrits, except Keffria, she will always be my number one.
I really love the Fool/ Amber/ beloved too. I wish he and Fitz had stayed together. I must heave reread the end of FF a thousand times. I was very touched by the scene, when Fitz carries the Fool’s body while walking away from the pale woman and she jells at him “turn around and I’ll give you everything you ever dreamed off” and Fitz thinks: my dream lay dead in my arms. I walked on. Crying

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Farseer - Jan-13-2012

(Jan-13-2012, 09:25 PM (UTC))Cara Vestrit Wrote: First of all, I really, really love Althea, she is just amazing. I know people find her a annoying, but I understand her very well. Even when she is being utterly unreasonable or stupid I still get why.

I concur!

I know I said some things re Althea not being the spoiled brat others think she is/was (possibly raised in this thread, I'm thinking Undecided ) but can only find this little bit (quoted for you below) from the Predictions thread in the Gernia subforum (spoilers on all Soldier Son books there so beware entering if you have not read the Soldier Son trilogy).

(Jan-11-2011, 09:33 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I think that there are a number of instances in the RotE where "someone else decides for their future, merely based on the fact they're women". The one that jumps out at me immediately is Althea. She certainly had her future decided for her and even had to create a male identity for herself to make it, particularly safely, in the world of men. She was raised as a substitute son but then had everything she ever wanted stripped from beneath her at the final hour, simply because her mother felt she should finally stay at home and do what women do. What is saddest here is that it was a woman who did this to her, and not a man. Of course, Kyle etc went on to compound and worsen the situation. Ronica knew that once she was captain of the Vivacia, Althea would never adhere to such social restrictions.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - fool-ish - Jan-14-2012

I really need to go back and read LST again. Of all the nine books, those are the ones I've only read once. Whilst some of her actions were vexing and frustrating, I don't think I ever really disliked Althea, though I do remember thinking her sister was a right royal pain in the..well you know! I definitely had a soft spot for Wintrow, Amber and Paragon and very much admired Ronica. Smiling