thePlenty.net Forums
Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) (/thread-34.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - 'thul - Feb-14-2012

creating flawless characters is one of the worst things an author can do. The flaws can be minor or just inconvenient, or they can be major... Without flaws, a character will either win too quickly, or just never finish because it is too shallow.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Brashen - Feb-14-2012

jep, you are right. But I think as "side persons" there can sometimes exist a flawless person if it acts out of the box or does something special nobody would have expected. But that's a difficult topic. But I'm just reminded of Gandalf. He's kinda flawless but still a good choice. Nevertheless is he not the main character what in my opinion makes it possible...

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - 'thul - Feb-14-2012

Gandalf isn't flawless. For one, he goes up against things he knows he's not powerful enough to go up against, and he's somewhat gullible. He could not imagine at first that Saruman would be a turnrobe (no cloak available).

To a large degree, gandalf was based on Odin.

Those that appear flawless generally have flaws that cannot be seen.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Valarya - Feb-14-2012

Joost I was just re-reading your tiny BoD spoiler up there about Rapskal and it made me mad, lol.

Rapskal is my favorite character in the RWC books, especially in the latest installment: CoD. Big Grin

If I would go for an overall-favorite character in all the books there is absolutely no contest: Beloved (Fool). I might have already said that somewhere in this thread previously but I wanted to recount, haha.

These beings still stick to their favorite characters as Thymara and Tarman. If you want current reasons, see spoiler in CoD thread.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - fool-ish - Feb-14-2012

Fitz wouldn't be Fitz without his flaws and though there were many times that I wished I could put him in a bag and shake him up, I really wouldn't have him any other way. Wub

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Brashen - Feb-14-2012

(Feb-14-2012, 11:41 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: Fitz wouldn't be Fitz without his flaws and though there were many times that I wished I could put him in a bag and shake him up, I really wouldn't have him any other way. Wub

Aye! Smiling

Well 'thul you are right, Gandalf isn't flawless... but in this case, i mean gullibility or not beeing omniscient... I'd say there are no characters that are flawless, expect someone would use God as a character (although depending on what's said about him, I'd say he is very interesting because he doesn't act human and because of this is not flawless in our eyes although he is in fact flawless)

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - 'thul - Feb-15-2012

Gods also work best in stories if they have flaws... Often the key flaw is that they wont, or cant, interfere all the time...

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - fool-ish - Feb-15-2012

(Feb-15-2012, 08:25 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: Gods also work best in stories if they have flaws... Often the key flaw is that they wont, or cant, interfere all the time...

Thankfully! It'd be like having another (unseen) mother-in-law. Not good.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - finella - Feb-16-2012

(Feb-13-2012, 04:33 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: These beings welcome thee, Gielske. It is nice to see another person here that likes dogs.

Well, here’s another one, who loves dogs Slurp. We had three dogs, but one died two weeks ago. Now we are a family of „Twos“: two people, two dogs and two pigs.

Welcome Gielske Smiling. It’s good to read, that there are others, who are brokenhearted by Nighteye’s death Crying. And be sure – it doesn’t become better at all with a re-read or two, or three…

And welcome Brashen too. I’m also german Clapping

My all time favorite definitely is The Fool/Beloved/Amber. In each facet he/she is just such an exciting and splendid person. Followed by Nighteyes, who I love so much. The others, like Fitz, Althea, Ophelia, Tintaglia, Alise, etc. are also very dear to me, depending, how close I’m with them just now. I wouldn't want to miss one of them.
Paragon has a special position. He is also an extraordinary character. For me his story and fate is one of the most touching ever written in fantasy..