thePlenty.net Forums
Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) (/thread-34.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - finella - Feb-17-2012

but at least you DO a clue on Japanese and Arabic, that's more than I do. May save your life once, who knows Big Grin. More than I can say from myself. I'd be completely lost with those languages. They are soooo strange.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - londonlassie - Jul-05-2012

Commenting on old topics again, my bad Blushing Innocent

As is probably clear from my other posts, my clear favourite was Kennit. My favourite character of all time was Kennit. I loved his ambition, he made me laugh, and he was the character I sympathised the most with. 90% of the scenes in Hobb's books which made me cry were Kennit's memories, and about as much of what made me laugh was him as well.

In LST, I also loved watching the development of Wintrow's character, and his interaction with Kennit. I liked Paragon heaps. I despised Malta to start with, although I loved reading about her because I really wanted her to get her just desserts, and then I started to really like her during the second and third books. I liked Althea, but Keffria really got on my nerves. Weirdly, Satrap Cosgo was fun to read about even though he was such a brat, because watching Malta deal with someone who a couple of books earlier would have been her male counterpart was so amusing.

I didn't like Tintaglia though. And the serpents were just...bleh. I know they're important and all, but I've skipped their parts on all subsequent reads.

And in the Farseer trilogy...The Fool, and Nighteyes, no competition. Easy question Slurp I think the person who actually got on my nerves the most was Fitz Uhhuh - that's probably why I prefer the third-person narration series like LST and the Dragon Keeper books. I liked Patience and Lacey, though. I have a thing for the eccentric characters, they always seem to be among my favourites Big Grin

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Farseer - Jul-06-2012

(Jul-05-2012, 10:27 PM (UTC))londonlassie Wrote: Commenting on old topics again, my bad Blushing Innocent

Not at all, londonlassie...honestly. If I had even just a teensy weensy bit more time, I'd busy myself with pitching a tent and living in the old RotE and Gernia threads...and making you all *nuts* with my endless theories once again (which I have plenty more to share, I might add!). P

I just hate that I am tending to only make it as far as the off-topic ones most days of late, or giving a superficial comment here and there where I'd rather give pages. Down Big Grin

Keep it up and go as far back as you like. Flowers The last posts in many threads may have been made some time ago but the discussion points are all still as important as ever before...

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - 'thul - Jul-06-2012

for the discussion threads, there is no such thing as a dead thread here...

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - londonlassie - Jul-06-2012

(Jul-06-2012, 04:00 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote:
(Jul-05-2012, 10:27 PM (UTC))londonlassie Wrote: Commenting on old topics again, my bad Blushing Innocent

Not at all, londonlassie...honestly. If I had even just a teensy weensy bit more time, I'd busy myself with pitching a tent and living in the old RotE and Gernia threads...and making you all *nuts* with my endless theories once again (which I have plenty more to share, I might add!). P

I just hate that I am tending to only make it as far as the off-topic ones most days of late, or giving a superficial comment here and there where I'd rather give pages. Down Big Grin

Keep it up and go as far back as you like. Flowers The last posts in many threads may have been made some time ago but the discussion points are all still as important as ever before...

(Jul-06-2012, 07:06 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: for the discussion threads, there is no such thing as a dead thread here...

Good to know! P

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Narya - Jul-07-2012

They aren't old threads - they are all new threads to us noobies.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Farseer - Jul-08-2012

Actually, they aren't even that old to me. When I posted something in the Moonseye thread recently I said something like "here goes Farseer carrying on in the Moonseye thread again", thinking that you'd all be sick of me and rolling your eyes and groaning, and then later realised it had been one or even two years since I'd even posted in it! Big Grin Ah, time does fly when in the company of friends/fellow Hobb-obsessives. Slurp

So funny, londonlassie, that you seem to like Kennit most and I like him least Smiling and Fitz gets on your nerves most and I like him best! P Clapping It's amazing that even though we all read the same book/s, we still manage to come away with a different story/take on things.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - londonlassie - Jul-08-2012

(Jul-08-2012, 11:34 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: So funny, londonlassie, that you seem to like Kennit most and I like him least Smiling and Fitz gets on your nerves most and I like him best! P Clapping It's amazing that even though we all read the same book/s, we still manage to come away with a different story/take on things.

That's what I love about Hobb's books, there isn't a set "good character" and "bad character" like in so much fantasy fiction. So many novels say, "This is the main character, you have to like him/her" and "this is the bad guy, boo him/her all the time". With Hobb the readers don't get pushed to like one person and dislike another. All her characters are so carefully crafted and so real that it's like dealing with real people - some like some, others don't like others. That's fun. Yay

Come to think of it, I can't think of that many other novelists who have that talent the way Robin does Blink

(Jul-07-2012, 09:08 PM (UTC))Narya Wrote: They aren't old threads - they are all new threads to us noobies.

Well said Narya! Clapping

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - fool-ish - Jul-08-2012

GRRM's good at that. You could absolutely loathe a character one minute, yet the next they're not really that bad at all. Works the other way round too, of course...Daenerys Stormborn, I'm looking at you Ouch

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - londonlassie - Jul-09-2012

(Jul-08-2012, 10:23 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: GRRM's good at that. You could absolutely loathe a character one minute, yet the next they're not really that bad at all. Works the other way round too, of course...Daenerys Stormborn, I'm looking at you Ouch

At the risk of looking a bit dim, who is GRRM?