thePlenty.net Forums
Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) (/thread-34.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Norma J. - Jul-29-2013

I have a hard time re-reading Fitz. His life is too much like mine, the personal parts, not the professional. I can't say I liked or disliked him. I think Nighteyes and Dutiful are my favorites. And the Fool and Prilkop. As far as George R.R. Martin, I read several of his books and kept doggedly at it thinking it would lead somewhere and it never did. Perhaps I'm just not a person who sees the journey as the point rather than the destination being it. I found the 'Wheel of Time' books to be about a snot nose brat of a boy who banged three women and never quit. Big deal!

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Jizdin - Mar-04-2015

Robin Hobb has created so many amazing characters that it's impossible to pick just one favourite, so here are my favourites

Fool (in all guises) because they are a wonderful, beautiful enigma…and how can you not love somebody who is trying to save the world, again and again, regardless of what it costs them? Beloved, I love you! JokerWub

Fitz, because although he has flaws & sometimes drives me mad, I love characters who have long and interesting character development arcs, who are changed by their experiences, who undergo immense suffering but come out the other end, often stronger and wiser…because he goes through so much and sacrifices so much, to save the people he cares about, the Six Duchies and ultimately the world. Though having said all of that, I think I loved Fitz from the first page of the first book…the young, confused, scared boy dragged to Moonseye by his grandfather…Slurp

Verity, because he is a genuinely good, brave, honourable person, never meant to rule, who gives up everything to save his realm and people. His story is incredibly sad and he deserves the title of Sacrifice more than anybody. Crown

Patience, because she is kooky and quirky and looked down on and laughed at by others, but when it’s needed she has an inner strength and determination and ability to love and to do what’s right, that puts other characters to shame. Thankful

Wintrow, because he goes through an amazing character development, a journey of change and self-discovery…I would never have guessed at the beginning that the little novice priest would end up as a pirate king. His relationships with Vivacia and Kennit are both complex and fascinating. Pirate

Malta, because from being an annoying, spoilt child, she grows into a beautiful, courageous woman who learns to put her strength and intelligence to good use, to save herself and others. On my first reading of LST I hated Malta at the beginning but loved her by the end. Her relationship with Reyn is also one of my favourite romances of the whole series. <3

Paragon, because I knew from the beginning that underneath the apparently mad exterior was a good soul traumatised by horrific experiences. The mystery of what had happened to him and whether or not he could be healed was one of the things that kept me turning the pages…Boat

Tarman, because he is the oldest and wisest and best of all the liveships. He knows it, Leftrin knows it, and I know it. Although he has no mouth or face, just eyes, he is expressive in other ways and his personality shines through. The section when he deliberately sticks himself into the mud and refuses to move, will forever stay as one of my favourite moments. Clapping

Sedric, because he also goes on a long journey of change and self-discovery and becomes stronger, physically, mentally and emotionally….because away from Hest’s influence and abuse, he is a brave, lovely, caring man, who learns to put his fears aside and to stand up for himself and those he cares about….because bullies and abusers should never win, but good people should. I nearlt cheered out loud when he thumped Hest Yay His relationship with Carson was truly touching and along with Reyn & Malta, is my joint favourite romance in the series.Wub

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - BrilliantFarseer - Mar-05-2015

(Mar-04-2015, 09:59 PM (UTC))Jizdin Wrote: Robin Hobb has created so many amazing characters that it's impossible to pick just one favourite, so here are my favourites

Fool (in all guises) because they are a wonderful, beautiful enigma…and how can you not love somebody who is trying to save the world, again and again, regardless of what it costs them? Beloved, I love you! JokerWub

Fitz, because although he has flaws & sometimes drives me mad, I love characters who have long and interesting character development arcs, who are changed by their experiences, who undergo immense suffering but come out the other end, often stronger and wiser…because he goes through so much and sacrifices so much, to save the people he cares about, the Six Duchies and ultimately the world. Though having said all of that, I think I loved Fitz from the first page of the first book…the young, confused, scared boy dragged to Moonseye by his grandfather…Slurp

Verity, because he is a genuinely good, brave, honourable person, never meant to rule, who gives up everything to save his realm and people. His story is incredibly sad and he deserves the title of Sacrifice more than anybody. Crown

Patience, because she is kooky and quirky and looked down on and laughed at by others, but when it’s needed she has an inner strength and determination and ability to love and to do what’s right, that puts other characters to shame. Thankful

Wintrow, because he goes through an amazing character development, a journey of change and self-discovery…I would never have guessed at the beginning that the little novice priest would end up as a pirate king. His relationships with Vivacia and Kennit are both complex and fascinating. Pirate

Malta, because from being an annoying, spoilt child, she grows into a beautiful, courageous woman who learns to put her strength and intelligence to good use, to save herself and others. On my first reading of LST I hated Malta at the beginning but loved her by the end. Her relationship with Reyn is also one of my favourite romances of the whole series. <3

Paragon, because I knew from the beginning that underneath the apparently mad exterior was a good soul traumatised by horrific experiences. The mystery of what had happened to him and whether or not he could be healed was one of the things that kept me turning the pages…Boat

Tarman, because he is the oldest and wisest and best of all the liveships. He knows it, Leftrin knows it, and I know it. Although he has no mouth or face, just eyes, he is expressive in other ways and his personality shines through. The section when he deliberately sticks himself into the mud and refuses to move, will forever stay as one of my favourite moments. Clapping

Sedric, because he also goes on a long journey of change and self-discovery and becomes stronger, physically, mentally and emotionally….because away from Hest’s influence and abuse, he is a brave, lovely, caring man, who learns to put his fears aside and to stand up for himself and those he cares about….because bullies and abusers should never win, but good people should. I nearlt cheered out loud when he thumped Hest Yay His relationship with Carson was truly touching and along with Reyn & Malta, is my joint favourite romance in the series.Wub

I will add one character to your list:

Thymara - I know a lot of people do not like her because she seemingly plays with Tats and Rapskal, but I do not hold that against her. She really bought into the Rain Wilds belief about allowing people who are too changed from marrying and reproducing. When someone buys into something like that, it is hard to find a way clear of that thinking.

Yet, I really like her, because she challenges authority and especially the dragons, including her own Sintara. Most of the other keepers/Elderlings just go along with what their dragons want, but Thymara tries to keep to her true self (which she is really discovering throughout the series and which makes her character development that much more interesting).

I really think that the argument that she has with Sintara when she learns about her wings is one of the most beautiful scenes throughout the Rain Wilds Chronicles.

I can't wait for the Farseers to meet the people from Kelsingra, Bingtown and the Pirate Isles. That is going to be epic!

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Jizdin - Mar-06-2015

I agree with everything that you have said about Thymara.

Thymara, Nighteyes, Kettricken & Althea are on my "very close to being a favourite" list, but I thought my list would be too long if I included them as well Blushing

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Bananafish - Feb-24-2017

Favorite character of all is Nighteyes. I grieved for him like I have for very few characters. Such a beautiful love he had for Fitz. Such a kind way to leave him with the last hunt dream.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Lady Persephone - Feb-05-2019

(Feb-24-2017, 09:18 PM (UTC))Bananafish Wrote: Favorite character of all is Nighteyes. I grieved for him like I have for very few characters. Such a beautiful love he had for Fitz. Such a kind way to leave him with the last hunt dream.

He didn't leave him.  He never did leave him.  In the end, they are together forever and shall be there to save the Seven Duchies again should the need arise.  <3  The Fool, Fitz, and Nighteyes--the perfect trinity to make a whole perfect, beautiful being.  Yay

These three are my favourites of all along with Bee who really deserves her own trilogy next.  Please Robin Hobb, please write it. (begs petulantly, like a hungry puppy)

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - mistrali - Jan-03-2020

I’m only up to RWC.

I can’t decide on a favourite character - I love them all. Except for many of the villains, such as Kyle Haven, Black Rolf, the Pale Woman, etc., but they’re not meant to be likeable.

The character I relate to most is Paragon, in some ways. We’ve all had periods in life where we’ve felt that circumstances are just crushing us. With that said, I have a pretty boring life, since I’m not a character in a fantasy novel! In that sense I don’t really relate to any of the characters.