thePlenty.net Forums
Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) (/thread-34.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Which character is your favourite? - Mervi - Jul-22-2009

Shantar, there's a very comprehensive Finnish/English list here at Jarmo's site that I've found very helpful. :smile:

RE: Which character is your favourite? - maulkin - Jul-22-2009

My favourite characters from Dragon Keeper:

RE: Which character is your favourite? - Elven - Aug-03-2009

Reyn Khuprus has to be one of my favourite characters, I never understood his love and fascination for Malta, until you see how Malta develops and I eventually loved their characters and thought they matched perfectly!

The Fool, who couldnt love The Fool! He is so mysterious and amazing, and I was itching to find out more about him the more I read.

Web, he seems to have such a calm perfect personality. I wish I knew him!

Kennit! Oh Kennit, I hated to love this character. Like all of Hobbs characters he was so multi dimensional, and at times loved and hated him, Like real people!

As for Starling well, I didn't like her at all. P

RE: Which character is your favourite? - maulkin - Aug-03-2009

I am quite fond of Starling. She befriended Fitz and kept him grounded during the terrible events of Assassin's quest and, despite her ulterior motives, did display genuine compassion and affection. Although she is vain, duplicitous and self-centred, she is no more so than various other characters (Malta for example) and with far more justification. In my opinion, Fitz's treatment of Starling is quite appalling. He repeatedly disowns and abandons her and apparently takes no personal responsibility for their relationship.

RE: Which character is your favourite? - Changer - Aug-03-2009

(Aug-03-2009, 12:10 PM (UTC))maulkin Wrote: I am quite fond of Starling. She befriended Fitz and kept him grounded during the terrible events of Assassin's quest and, despite her ulterior motives, did display genuine compassion and affection. Although she is vain, duplicitous and self-centred, she is no more so than various other characters (Malta for example) and with far more justification. In my opinion, Fitz's treatment of Starling is quite appalling. He repeatedly disowns and abandons her and apparently takes no personal responsibility for their relationship.

Yea I feel about the same on this matter. Specially after Fitz finds out that she's married he kinda puts all the blame with her. My guess is that she sees things different is because of her rape and the views she got on several things afterwards, especially on honor (assasins Quest). There she says that honor is a paper shield or even a weakness against those who don't see it as a value. I think she might have taken this view to an extreme somehow. A thing that did shocked me was the way she tried to keep Hap from telling Fitz about her marriage, I knew she could be cold but the things she said there were to harsh in my opinion ...

As to Fitz, like I said before, I think most people can see atleast a bit of themselves in him.

RE: Which character is your favourite? - Preludium - Sep-07-2009

Beloved. Hands down. I love how he's so complex and mysterious, the different aspects of his persona, his relationship with Fitz...the list goes on and on.

RE: Which character is your favourite? - Draquia - Nov-26-2009

Beloved as well. I never fully appreciated him until The Tawny Man trilogy, and it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that Amber was the Fool, because I kept on being so confused about his gender. Still am a little.
I really wanted to know more about him, I love how he loves Fitz so completely but is still very strongly his own person. I loved his mystery, his sense of romance, his incredible ability to blend despite his standing out wherever he went, his love of small things. I loved his sense of destiny and acceptance of the most horrible fate imaginable, and most of all I loved his relationship with Fitz. I know that in the end Fitz got a sort-of happy ending, but it really broke my heart. I wanted Fitz to follow Beloved to ends of forever, even though it was so escapist of him. I loved that Fitz was even willing to do it.

Other characters I liked were Althea, Reyn, Etta and Kettriken. Althea's story arc was quite a let down, but initially I found I related to her determination the most. Etta was someone that nobody expected anything out of, but her determination and fearlessness were incredible. I dunno, I have a thing for the warrior women.

RE: Which character is your favourite? - fleetzz - Mar-02-2010

Beloved as well---he was very immature and cocky superficially as the Fool---but we saw him grow throughout the series. He is the one character that I would love to meet and converse with. He is so dedicated, strong but fragile, fun-loving, great sense of humor, selfless, resourceful. He was gentle and sweet. He loved to make things that were pretty, and admired things such as flowers, pretty dolls, and Fitz in tights ("it showes EVERYTHING, but not what you are worried about" !!!!

It hurt me to see how much pain he was in after being tortured, but it kills me to think how much pain he is in because he believes that Fitz is dead. Why did he have to remove the Skill-bond between them?
My second favorite is Patience. What a woman!

RE: Which character is your favourite? - Liquid Ice - Mar-03-2010

Patience, she's awesome.
Verity just cause I like him and his dedication.
Kettricken because of her strong will.

Leftrin and his connection with his ship.
And if dragons count I do like Sintara and her stubbornness!

RE: Which character is your favourite? - Manephelien - Mar-13-2010

Malta's one of my favorites. Thymara rocks. I'd have to reread the earlier trilogies for more.