thePlenty.net Forums
Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) (/thread-34.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Which character is your favourite? - Nuytsia - May-04-2010

Great discussions here! Very philosophical too!

I guess there are Assasins and Liveship spoilers.....

Then again, it's good not to have TOO much of that going on , or the mystical becomes mundane. It is definitely good to leave a lot unknown....

RE: Which character is your favourite? - Chrischa - May-04-2010

I too was a bit miffed to not see Wintrow return to his monastery, but I imagine that he would become a bit of a spiritual leader to the pirate islands. Not that I'm for organized religion but I think the pirate isles could use some thoughtfulness and some reflection nonetheless. And on top of that, imo it's another sign of Robin Hobbs' strength; so many authors twist their plots into all sorts of ridiculous bends to make the characters end up back where they started. Hobb doesn't do that, they always end up different, but also in a way better, after the story. That takes courage! Only the ones that are willing to adapt end up happy, look at Bingtown!

Another interesting thought; given the old belief in the Six Duchies that a royal child's name steers his character, do you think that Fitz was guided by the fact that he is called "son of Chivalry"? Do his actions in any way indicate him being true to that name?

RE: Which character is your favourite? - Farseer - May-04-2010

(May-04-2010, 09:02 AM (UTC))Chrischa Wrote: Only the ones that are willing to adapt end up happy, look at Bingtown!

Another interesting thought; given the old belief in the Six Duchies that a royal child's name steers his character, do you think that Fitz was guided by the fact that he is called "son of Chivalry"? Do his actions in any way indicate him being true to that name?

I loved your comment re Bingtown, Chrischa!

As for Fitz being true to his name, well, as he's one of my favourite characters, I can't be expected to respond without bias! Let's see though...what is considered under the umbrella of chivalry?

* Courage - I doubt anyone could truly question his courage, particularly in battle or in undertaking his various assassin assignments.

* Loyalty - While he wished he wasn't at times, I'd say he was loyal to a fault (not to mention his own detriment!), to animals/his wit-partners, family, king, kingdom, loves.

* Honour - I believe he displayed honour (well, as much as a killer can display honour but, I guess, it could be said that he did it all for the right reasons?!).

* Consideration, especially for women - Hmm, I know plenty of you will disagree, going on previous posts about Fitz but I thought he showed a great deal of thought and consideration for others and he was certainly trained to consider situations etc from every possible angle (sometimes he even thought WAY too much on things!).

While it could be said that he didn't really show consideration to the women he partnered, I can't see it myself. Just being a man doesn't make him solely responsible for something happening in a relationship that has been entered into by two willing participants. I'd like to think that, as a woman, I'm clever enough to judge a situation for myself which, ultimately, Molly (for example) did. I didn't like her but good on her that she could step back and make a tough decision like she did, and follow through with it. The fact that Fitz didn't make this leap before she did, and therefore stopped what was happening, doesn't mean he was inconsiderate of her, I don't think.

If these are the aspects of chivalrous behaviour then, yes, I'd agree that Fitz lived up to his name Knight .

RE: Which character is your favourite? - Nuytsia - May-05-2010

Chrischa I like your idea that Wintrow might bring some of his 'spirituality' (or at least a more humane outlook) to the pirate isles! But I 'wanted' him to learn more himself. (not that I'm not fine with how it DID turn out - as you say it's a plus that characters change). I would be very interested if any future books did a bit more on the priesthood that Wintrow left (with other characters) so we could see a bit more about it.

On Fitz's name, some interesting points Farseer. I think above all he did bend over backwards to do what (he thought was) 'the right thing' at all times, so in one sense of the world he fit the name (Fitz)Chivalry very well.
Personally I thought Chivalry himself was pretty selfish. The realm needed him and he went off with his lady love to have a nice quiet life. Ooooh is this some parallel to Fitz in his cabin - never thought about that before.
I was going to say Fitz had a pretty good excuse to do his own thing after all he had already given for the kingdom, but then to be honest we really don't know a huge amount about Chivalry himself so I shouldn't be too harsh on him!

RE: Which character is your favourite? - Farseer - May-05-2010

I agree, Nuytsia! Chivarly is just such an unknown quantity isn't he?! On face value, I also believe he was very selfish for having acted as he did (even more so knowing how things ended up between Fitz and Patience...oh, how easy it all could have been if ONLY Chivalry had hung around!!).

Still, since he was perfect to a fault, I can't help but wonder if he did have other, loftier motives for his absence (besides those already brought to light), not to mention reasons for his actions with the woman who mothered Fitz (other than love or infatuation or whatever). After all, he loved Patience so much that he was prepared to stick by her come what may and even supposedly abdicated the throne so as to not bring her shame with the appearance of his bastard son (all this despite her coming from the Six Duchies as opposed to a more politically- advantageous place such as, say, Chalced; her perceived flightiness and difference in personality to him; being barren and unable to produce and heir for his throne etc).

If he were capable of love like that, why was it not this kind of love that he chose to direct at Fitz's mother, particularly as it was obviously against his character to bed a woman in the way it appears that he did (Verity was even shocked to learn that Chivalry had done such a thing).

Hmm...I have more to add re Wintrow, as his faith etc is so interesting, but I need to think on that some!

RE: Which character is your favourite? - Chrischa - May-05-2010

Some very interesting points! There certainly is a similarity between Fitz' actions and Chivalry. I hadn't even considered that angle yet, I was more thinking about how his name might tie him to never be more then a "son". As in; never seeking to be more then his father is, in this particular case never having ambitions for the throne. Son-Of-Chivalry might also bind him to never be Chivalry himself, if you know what I mean.
And yes, I know that Fitz was ready to take up stewardship when Regal fled inland during the Red Ship War, but he didn't do that as a result of years of ambitions and careful planning, but only because he knew no-one was more suitable and more likely to hand power back to Kettricken and her child.

As to the other aspect you brought up; I can think of three points in his life when Fitz was so much like Chivalry that other people even commented on it. First of all of course there's his physical appearance and the way he is built, moves and fights. Secondly he wants to marry for love rather then political advantages (Shrewd actually calls him Chivalry during this argument, doesn't he?). And thirdly he abandons his task just when the kingdom needs him the most; he doesn't want to be an assassin any more.

RE: Which character is your favourite? - redchild - May-05-2010

(May-05-2010, 05:06 AM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: I would be very interested if any future books did a bit more on the priesthood that Wintrow left (with other characters) so we could see a bit more about it.

I am also very interested in the religion around Sa, and if they incorporate Skill into their rituals. It seems that Skill and Wit are not emphasized as powers or skills, at least consciously, in the states south of the Six Duchies. It's very odd that in the Duchies, Skill and Wit are so highly regarded that they become huge political and social issues in the kingdom, yet the southern countries seem to pay no attention to them at all.

RE: Which character is your favourite? - maulkin - May-05-2010

(May-05-2010, 08:59 PM (UTC))redchild Wrote: It's very odd that in the Duchies, Skill and Wit are so highly regarded that they become huge political and social issues in the kingdom, yet the southern countries seem to pay no attention to them at all.
I suppose that, since the Skill must be learned, southerners may be unaware that it exists even though some possess the capacity for it. The Wit is more of a problem since the Witted appear to use it intuitively, without the need for training. I can only conclude that the Wit is rare or absent among Southerners. Since the Wit appears to be hereditary, it is possible that the Witted never reached the South or that they were persecuted to extinction there.

RE: Which character is your favourite? - Nuytsia - May-06-2010

(May-04-2010, 09:02 AM (UTC))Chrischa Wrote: Another interesting thought; given the old belief in the Six Duchies that a royal child's name steers his character.....

Off topic - I was in the supermarket the other day and saw in the dried fruit section "Verity" prunes !

Hehehehehe!

What's next Fitz lemonade?

RE: Which character is your favourite? - Farseer - May-06-2010

(May-05-2010, 09:37 PM (UTC))maulkin Wrote:
(May-05-2010, 08:59 PM (UTC))redchild Wrote: It's very odd that in the Duchies, Skill and Wit are so highly regarded that they become huge political and social issues in the kingdom, yet the southern countries seem to pay no attention to them at all.
I suppose that, since the Skill must be learned, southerners may be unaware that it exists even though some possess the capacity for it. The Wit is more of a problem since the Witted appear to use it intuitively, without the need for training. I can only conclude that the Wit is rare or absent among Southerners. Since the Wit appears to be hereditary, it is possible that the Witted never reached the South or that they were persecuted to extinction there.