thePlenty.net Forums
Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) (/thread-34.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Paragon-Athena - Mar-01-2011

Farseer: Verity because I really admire his devotion and self-sacrifice on behalf of his kingdom. Also Kettriken in the Royal Assassin, because her character really develops and I admire her spirit.
Liveship: Paragon (obviously) because I rreally empathise with his child-like spirit, and his cynicism and bitterness only endears him to me because it shows what pain he's taken upon himself. Also Amber (even though I didn't realise at the time she was the Fool) because she was a bit of an enigma; so trusting and willing to believe the best of Paragon when no-one else would - yet also so hard of purpose and determined. I love the scene in "Ship of Destiny" when they reveal their secrets to each other.
Tawny Man: The Fool. He (or she? I can't decide but I don't care either way - the character is so beautiful in every respect) is possibly the most complex of any fantasy character anywhere, and I find myself marvelling every time he reveals another "facet" of himself. I also love his deveotion to Fitz, even though I personally can't stand the fellow (and I know a lot of people will disagree), and his bravery. Knowing he was Amber was also wonderful.

Who I dislike: Fitz. Swift. Kennit.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Lady Laura - Mar-01-2011

This is a bit random, but I have this strong feeling I'm not gonna like Fitz either... Obviously I'm gonna reserve judgment til I read Farseer/Tawny, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up about him!! P

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - 'thul - Mar-01-2011

he's not so bad... a bit dense at times, but what heroes aren't?

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Nuytsia - Mar-02-2011

I wouldn't worry too much, I pretty well agree with all your opinions of characters in the Liveships, and I thought Fitz was a cool character.

I suppose there's always a difference between liking the character, as in you would like to be their friend, and enjoying a character because they are so well done by the author - but hating them 'as a person'!
I didn't 'like' Kennit or Etta but I found them very interesting characters.

I guess what I mean is, I doubt you will find Fitz boring!

(Mar-01-2011, 10:55 AM (UTC))Lady Laura Wrote: This is a bit random, but I have this strong feeling I'm not gonna like Fitz either... Obviously I'm gonna reserve judgment til I read Farseer/Tawny, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up about him!! P

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - Lady Laura - Mar-02-2011

Ok, I get what you mean! There's plenty of characters in books that I enjoy and appreciate reading about, but i wouldn't "like" them as my best friend, like you said Big Grin I felt the same for Etta and Kennit! Heehee, and as 'thul said, there are loads of heros in books who can be a bit dense at times, but I'd rather characters to be flawed than to be pefect, otherwise it'd be boring P

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - 'thul - Mar-02-2011

perfect heroes (and for that matter, villains) are boring... their flaws define them...

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - redchild - Mar-03-2011

It'd be rather difficult to make up the perfect character. What is perfect for the author may not be perfect for the reader. Though I suppose always attributing even the flaws of a character to be admirable traits may be a sign of lazyness on the part of the author to develop a multi-faceted character. From my own biased opinion, the characters of the Twilight series irk me because of this: since every character is "perfect"... especially Edward.

I suppose a very useful skill for very good writers is objectivity when dealing with characters. There's fantasy and then there's just fantasy.

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - 'thul - Mar-03-2011

When these beings speak of "perfect" characters in the context here, they speak of characters that have no flaws... Not of characters that are of just the right design with the right combination of traits and such...

These beings have not read those twilight books, but they have watched the three movies so far. The characters there are a bit too polished, and the glittery vampires is a bit silly, but they're not without their flaws... but to be honest, they would've become better characters with some more flaws...

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - redchild - Mar-04-2011

Perhaps lack of flaws can actually be construed as a flaw in itself? P

A perfect character who is perfect to the point of blandness?

RE: Which RotE character is your favourite? (spoilers all RotE books) - 'thul - Mar-04-2011

Exactly what these beings meant... Too-perfect characters are dead. they have no life, and no liveliness...

How much fun would it be with a character that has plans for every conceivable and inconceivable circumstance, yet it is not done in a manner that is comic? A character that is incapable of erring...

These beings would find such character utterly boring.