thePlenty.net Forums
[split] Vampires and Vampirism - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: [split] Vampires and Vampirism (/thread-361.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

[split] Vampires and Vampirism - 'thul - Sep-17-2011

These beings were curious about what all the hype was about, so they decided to read those so-called "twilight" books.

Si far, they are more detailed than the movies, and not really as immature/hopeless as some seem to claim they are. Provided one has the ability to ignore some minor (and rather silly) elements of the books' edition of vampirism.

RE: What are you reading right now? - fool-ish - Sep-17-2011

(Sep-17-2011, 02:43 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: The wall is at the top of the map, in the complete north.
Ah, thank you joost. I never was any good at map reading. You only need to ask my husband...some of our most tremendous arguments have occurred while I've been attempting to navigate Blink

(Sep-17-2011, 05:42 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: These beings were curious about what all the hype was about, so they decided to read those so-called "twilight" books.

Si far, they are more detailed than the movies, and not really as immature/hopeless as some seem to claim they are. Provided one has the ability to ignore some minor (and rather silly) elements of the books' edition of vampirism.
I have to admit to quite enjoying the Twilight Saga. It does have it's critics and it does have failings and author leanings! But as a story it's not all that bad. The films have been pretty bad (vampire baseball being the exception, as the tune by Muse is one of my all time favourites!) no change there though, most book to film is bad, but I will still go along to the cinema in November with my daughter to see part 1 of the finale. On BOGOF Wednesday of course! P

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Sep-18-2011

There were numerous chuckleworthy parts of the final book. These beings cannot see what all that hype was about. Probably the main "fault" that humans tend to see about it is the fact that this brand of vampire are not uncomfortable in sunlight, let alone spontaneously burst into flame. Chop away that minor part, and it is a decent story.

The movies did show themselves to leave out many points from the books, though.

RE: What are you reading right now? - joost - Sep-18-2011

I like the Twilight books, although the last book was a bit too sentimental for my taste. I think 'The host' , Meyer's next book after Twilight,is a better book though.

RE: What are you reading right now? - fool-ish - Sep-18-2011

(Sep-18-2011, 08:26 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: I like the Twilight books, although the last book was a bit too sentimental for my taste. I think 'The host' , Meyer's next book after Twilight,is a better book though.

I too enjoyed 'The Host.'

(Sep-18-2011, 01:26 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: There were numerous chuckleworthy parts of the final book. These beings cannot see what all that hype was about. Probably the main "fault" that humans tend to see about it is the fact that this brand of vampire are not uncomfortable in sunlight, let alone spontaneously burst into flame. Chop away that minor part, and it is a decent story.

The movies did show themselves to leave out many points from the books, though.

The one thing I could never get to grips with was the 'sparkly' vampire. Pftt! Everyone knows that vampires self-cremate in the sunshine! Wink

These beings noticed only a few major "flaws" in the vampiric breed found here. Their odd reaction to sunlight is what scares many off, but its really a minor thing. One problem with them is that they have no real weaknesses beyond their thirst for (human) blood and the need for secrecy.

Bigger flaw is that their patterns of existence should be discernible, simply from the death tolls.
The strangest part is that there are in a way too few of them. If their venom is guaranteed to turn a human if the human isn't killed right afterwards, there should have been many, many more. Even if one takes into account that they feed every few weeks and not daily.

RE: What are you reading right now? - fool-ish - Sep-18-2011

(Sep-18-2011, 02:16 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: These beings noticed only a few major "flaws" in the vampiric breed found here. Their odd reaction to sunlight is what scares many off, but its really a minor thing. One problem with them is that they have no real weaknesses beyond their thirst for (human) blood and the need for secrecy.

Bigger flaw is that their patterns of existence should be discernible, simply from the death tolls.
The strangest part is that there are in a way too few of them. If their venom is guaranteed to turn a human if the human isn't killed right afterwards, there should have been many, many more. Even if one takes into account that they feed every few weeks and not daily.
They were clearly very adept at keeping their coven members to a minimum which, if I remember rightly they needed to do in order for them to continue living in Forks in relative peace? Having said that, they couldn't realistically stay there forever....the lack of any signs of aging would be guaranteed to get the townsfolk tongues a-wagging and speculation on where they get their botox treatments! Was it ever mentioned that they'd be moving on? I can't remember. Other than some odd takes on vampirism, I found 'imprinting' a little creepy, particularly Jacob/Renesmee. That never did sit quite right with me and Ms. Meyer's religious ethics shone through in some areas. Still, Edward was born in a different time when courtship was considerably different to how it is now, so I can live with it if I read it in that context.

I read 'The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner' too when it was free online. A short but sad little tale.

I'm gonna stop rambling now about what is affectionately (or not!) known on another forum as 'Glorified Fanfiction' because I'm boring myself now.

we were referring to the global population more than the size of the Olympic coven. Even with the active infighting and policing by the volturi, logic should indicate more vampires. many more.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Sep-19-2011

Well, if you're not coming off as obsessed when you're working to get rid of a good dose of obsessiveness, you're doing something wrong.

These beings have not quite decided what book to read next, but it'll be something from one of five or so authors... They are considering reading up a bit of the books by "Anne Rice", but the one ebook file they've selected so far is scarily long. 2746 PDF pages. (each page being about 50% wider than the average book page)

If these beings convert that to estimated pocket book page size, it'll be about 4120 pages. (of course, that ebook file contains 10 books, not one book, but thats a minor point, or so 'thul say.)

RE: What are you reading right now? - fool-ish - Sep-19-2011

(Sep-18-2011, 09:38 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: we were referring to the global population more than the size of the Olympic coven. Even with the active infighting and policing by the volturi, logic should indicate more vampires. many more.

Oh I see! Yes, you're right there should be many more, the whole essence of vampirism dictates it should be so. Everyone, please ignore my previous ramblings. Anne Rice's vampires are a different breed altogether when we compare to Ms. Meyer's. In a good way, I hasten to add! I really enjoyed the ones I've read..a few more to go yet.