thePlenty.net Forums
[split] Vampires and Vampirism - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: [split] Vampires and Vampirism (/thread-361.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: [split] Vampires and Vampirism - 'thul - Feb-27-2012

It is fairly decent, though 'thul may have missed a bit skipping book 1-5.

RE: [split] Vampires and Vampirism - fool-ish - Feb-27-2012

A rather big bit.

I picked up part 2 of the Kingmaker, Kingbreaker series by Karen Miller..it was winking at me from a bag of books at work. I'll have a quick look inside and see if it's worth buying the first one.

RE: [split] Vampires and Vampirism - 'thul - Mar-02-2012

It would seem that vampirism and such things in the "Anita blake" series is of the mago-genetic type.
It is clearly based in genetics, yet it is also magical. One interesting trait that has been brought along from the common vampire mythos is the presence of human "servants". Some aspects of the mythos make vampire servants mere mortals, suppressed, serving willingly (or not), often having no choice in the matter. Others have servants being sort of "lesser" vampires, or even "vampires-to-be", that the servants eventually become vampires themselves.
In the world here, the servants get literal advantages like increased healing, disease resistance and such from the "bond" with a vampire.

The power of Vampires is also somewhat more realistic here, not purely based on age, but with age a major factor. Some vampires become powerful quickly, others more slowly, and some don't gain power beyond a certain point ever.

RE: [split] Vampires and Vampirism - fool-ish - Mar-02-2012

(Mar-02-2012, 12:34 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: It would seem that vampirism and such things in the "Anita blake" series is of the mago-genetic type.
It is clearly based in genetics, yet it is also magical. One interesting trait that has been brought along from the common vampire mythos is the presence of human "servants". Some aspects of the mythos make vampire servants mere mortals, suppressed, serving willingly (or not), often having no choice in the matter. Others have servants being sort of "lesser" vampires, or even "vampires-to-be", that the servants eventually become vampires themselves.
In the world here, the servants get literal advantages like increased healing, disease resistance and such from the "bond" with a vampire.

The power of Vampires is also somewhat more realistic here, not purely based on age, but with age a major factor. Some vampires become powerful quickly, others more slowly, and some don't gain power beyond a certain point ever.
If they are vampires through genetics and magic, then it would seem there is no requirement for blood letting? Is blood still essential to their existence? I shan't be happy if magic alone keeps them going, it's just not right!

RE: [split] Vampires and Vampirism - 'thul - Mar-03-2012

It seems to vary a bit. Most feed on blood, but some feed on other things... there's vampires that feed on fear, pure power, and even some succubi/incubi (feed on sex). Probably a few others as well.

Oh, and were-animals exist, not just wolves, but many types of animals (wolf, panther, lion, leopard, rat, ...)
All those are disease-based and transmutable through bites/scratches when body is in animal form.

Vampires should indeed be sanguivorous.

RE: [split] Vampires and Vampirism - fool-ish - Mar-03-2012

Gimme a minute to go look up that word

RE: [split] Vampires and Vampirism - 'thul - Mar-03-2012

These beings may suggest looking here:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sanguivorous

Its a rather common trait in vampires, leeches, insects and certain types of bats.

RE: [split] Vampires and Vampirism - fool-ish - Mar-04-2012

That was rather a long minute P I didn't realise what time it was, had to get ready to go out...sharpish! I like that word, must try to remember it.

RE: [split] Vampires and Vampirism - 'thul - Mar-04-2012

it is indeed a nice word.

RE: [split] Vampires and Vampirism - 'thul - Mar-07-2012

Hmm.. these beings did come across an interesting quote in one of those books...
Quote:"Are you going to warn me not to move, tell me to freeze?"
"No," I said, and I shot him.

Doesn't that show just how nice the narrative character is?