thePlenty.net Forums
[split]RotE Jewellery (Beware RotE Spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: [split]RotE Jewellery (Beware RotE Spoilers) (/thread-378.html)

Pages: 1 2

[split]RotE Jewellery (Beware RotE Spoilers) - fool-ish - Nov-20-2011

I'm trying and failing miserably to explain to my husband what I imagine Fitz' earring looks like. I'd love to have something similar made to wear as a pendant. Draw it, he says...this is me he's talking to, who has no artistic skills whatsoever! Blink I think I'll have to find the description in the book and see if we can come up with something between us.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Valarya - Nov-20-2011

I've seen so many versions of recreated earrings on the web over the years.

Try google searching images for "Fitz's earring" or "Burrich's earring" and I think you'll come up with a few things people have drawn or created to make their own interpretations.

I can't fine the exact one I was looking for... the one that is drawn exactly how I picture it to look. Down

RE: What's happening in your world? - fool-ish - Nov-20-2011

Ok, thanks Valarya. Why is it I can't explain what I see in my head to someone else when it all seems so simple!

RE: [split]RotE Jewellery (Beware RotE Spoilers) - Farseer - Nov-20-2011

Here's one interpretation from the Craftster site of the earring.

Here's another from miraba.net which is similar to this artistic interpretation.

Neither of the pieces capture what I picture in my head. I tend to imagine it more as an open square piece of netting or gauze, curled up slightly at each edge, with the blue stone fully exposed in the centre. Will try and draw what I mean but the times I have tried, I haven't been able to quite get down exactly what I'm thinking of! Will also try and find quotes re the earring from the text. The possible meanings behind it makes me nuts. Silver and blue are just too coincidental (in connection with the Skill and Fitz) for me! Of course, I'm stuck on such meanings behind the jewellery and the colours within the books, as can be deduced from the Others Island thread! Blushing

This is an interpretation of Shrewd's pin for Fitz, made by the same person who made the earring on the Craftster site.

Will see what else I can find to post here...am sure there's even Kettricken's fox pin around somewhere.

Apologies for the British spelling of 'jewellery' in the thread title but apparently we Aussies (and Poms) like to add extra letters for no apparent reason... Wink

Oh, I should add that I plan to do a silversmithing course when the opportunity presents itself, and fully envisage making this earring for myself, once my skills have reached a level that enable me to get the job done well. Happyballoon

RE: [split]RotE Jewellery (Beware RotE Spoilers) - 'thul - Nov-20-2011

hmm... These beings feel like potentially firing up your sense of extra-ordinary connectivity, Farseer...

Silver and blue earring.
Silver and blue = Tintaglia?

RE: [split]RotE Jewellery (Beware RotE Spoilers) - Farseer - Nov-21-2011

Connected those dots way back, 'thul beings! P

Why am I thinking of the Malta thread, and our discussion re Tintaglia/Paragon's dragons?! I think I have colour theories all over this place...Surrender

RE: [split]RotE Jewellery (Beware RotE Spoilers) - 'thul - Nov-21-2011

Should've known and that you do.

RE: [split]RotE Jewellery (Beware RotE Spoilers) - fool-ish - Nov-21-2011

(Nov-20-2011, 10:18 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Here's one interpretation from the Craftster site of the earring.

Here's another from miraba.net which is similar to this artistic interpretation.

Neither of the pieces capture what I picture in my head. I tend to imagine it more as an open square piece of netting or gauze, curled up slightly at each edge, with the blue stone fully exposed in the centre. Will try and draw what I mean but the times I have tried, I haven't been able to quite get down exactly what I'm thinking of! Will also try and find quotes re the earring from the text. The possible meanings behind it makes me nuts. Silver and blue are just too coincidental (in connection with the Skill and Fitz) for me! Of course, I'm stuck on such meanings behind the jewellery and the colours within the books, as can be deduced from the Others Island thread! Blushing

This is an interpretation of Shrewd's pin for Fitz, made by the same person who made the earring on the Craftster site.

Will see what else I can find to post here...am sure there's even Kettricken's fox pin around somewhere.

Apologies for the British spelling of 'jewellery' in the thread title but apparently we Aussies (and Poms) like to add extra letters for no apparent reason... Wink

Oh, I should add that I plan to do a silversmithing course when the opportunity presents itself, and fully envisage making this earring for myself, once my skills have reached a level that enable me to get the job done well. Happyballoon
Thanks for the links Farseer. None of those capture the image I have either. The one with the silver links seems too bulky and the other isn't the right shape. I can see it clearly but can't explain. Vexing it is!

Oh and it's not a case of adding extra letters, more like them being omitted for no apparent reason Wink

RE: [split]RotE Jewellery (Beware RotE Spoilers) - 'thul - Nov-21-2011

words like "armour" instead of "armor" (as is right and true) look odd and annoying. "jewellery" on the other hand looks wrong. (it might be right in some forms of English, but it still looks wrong...)

RE: [split]RotE Jewellery (Beware RotE Spoilers) - fool-ish - Nov-21-2011

'Jewelry' is just wrong because the correct pronunciation is jew-ell-ery. Pronouncing the other version sounds like one is speaking about something else entirely. Do you think this little debate is going to make it on to every thread eventually? P Apologies in advance to the mods! And I'm no closer to the earring/pendant! Undecided