thePlenty.net Forums
First book to recommend? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Seattle and beyond (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: First book to recommend? (/thread-38.html)

First book to recommend? - Chiquita - May-07-2009

I have not read any Megan Lindholm books. Could someone give me a good suggestion of the first book I should buy? Does she write in trilogies like with Robin Hobb? Do I need to read her books in order? Smiling Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

RE: First book to recommend? - Tintaglia - May-07-2009

he problem with Megan's books is that they are a bit difficult to find... Down
Then, I read the first two books of Ki And Vandien's Quartet (four books) and it's better to read them in order, and The reindeer people are one book in two; the others are single novels. Smiling
I'd like to read Wizard of pigeons or Cloven hoves first, but I wasn't able to find them so...
Read what you find first! Wink

RE: First book to recommend? - Chiquita - May-07-2009

Haha okay.. noted. I'll check with our local Chapters store here which has a pretty good sci-fi and fantasy section and see how many books of hers they have Smiling That might decide for me!

RE: First book to recommend? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jul-06-2009

(May-07-2009, 08:12 AM (UTC))Tintaglia Wrote: he problem with Megan's books is that they are a bit difficult to find... Down
Then, I read the first two books of Ki And Vandien's Quartet (four books) and it's better to read them in order, and The reindeer people are one book in two; the others are single novels. Smiling
I'd like to read Wizard of pigeons or Cloven hoves first, but I wasn't able to find them so...
Read what you find first! Wink

I have book 1, 2 and 4 of the Ki and Vandien quartet. I haven't been able to get book 3, which annoys the hell out of me.

RE: First book to recommend? - Farseer - Apr-01-2010

Not sure if this would interest you or not but The Limbreth Gate (1st Edition paperback) is currently available on eBay, though from Australia?

RE: First book to recommend? - Albertosaurus Rex - Apr-01-2010

Thanks, I'll take a look into it. Although I don't have a creditcard, so I might have to bother my dad... (And I would prefer the Voyager edition to match up with the other books, but it's the story that counts, right?)

RE: First book to recommend? - jackwarnel - Apr-09-2010

Hi..
i know many of you blogcritics read quite a bit. Some of you seem to have very sure-sounding views on some books. Hell, the same is probably true of some regular commenters who aren't otherwise contributors.
So, recommend me books to read, with a reason. HOWEVER, I'm only after fiction, for now. If i were immortal, i'd endeavour to read all the books in existence, but since this isn't possible i'll have to limit myself, and currently i'm in a fictiony kinda mood.
Books i already own and have read at least once (so these can be ommitted from your recommendations) are:
the entire Discworld series, including most of the "extras". Basically, i like Pratchett, but don't recommend me any of his stuff, i'm after new things.
Aliens: Earth Hive
Aliens: Music Of The Spears
Aliens: Rogue

RE: First book to recommend? - Albertosaurus Rex - Apr-09-2010

Blog critics? I think most of us don't have a blog. Anyway, if you are here you're probably already familiar with Hobb. Off the top of my head, I would recommend:

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. The best fantasy series I have read so far. Starts with A Game of Thrones. It is not finshed yet, however, and the wait for the fifth book is long and hard...

Neuropath by Scott Bakker. A highly disturbing but awesome near-future thriller. Stand-alone.

...Although a request like this should really go into the "Other Universes" section.

EDIT: Great, I fell for a spammer. Anyway, my recommendation still stands - these books are excellent.

RE: First book to recommend? - kelvincrispy - Apr-26-2010

Actually it is completely depend on the reader means which type of book he/she likes,
I can just suggest you all.
Well I had buy The Limbreth Gate (1st Edition paperback) and completed some pages and it seems intersting.
Really very nice book, try to read this.