thePlenty.net Forums
City of dragons (spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: City of dragons (spoilers) (/thread-396.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: City of dragons - 'thul - Feb-15-2012

Nope. Not black.

The color was not the only error.

RE: City of dragons - 'thul - Feb-24-2012

Should be reasonably easy to guess. Particularly if you look around a bit and notice the exact edition 'thul have. and try to guess colors for the rest. 'thul could, but wont, ask for the exact hexadecimal code for the various colors represented on that cover.

RE: City of dragons - fool-ish - May-04-2012

Finished CoD today and loved it! I have high hopes for BoD and sincerely hope RH doesn't do a 'Martin' and sees off any of my favourites prematurely.

Rapskal is still a darling boy and remains my favourite character along with his Heeby of course. Wub Alise, on the other hand, isn't in my top ten any longer Undecided

RE: City of dragons - 'thul - May-05-2012

These beings should re-read CoD soon... If only there had not been some 4-5 other books in progress...

RE: City of dragons - Farseer - May-05-2012

(May-04-2012, 10:35 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: Finished CoD today and loved it!

Wonderful! Yay

We're having a discussion over in the Newsgroup at the moment, regarding the reviews that have been posted on Amazon.co.uk for CoD...if you all get time, it would be great if you could head over there for a look and come back here for a chat? Happyballoon

I've already done a CoD re-read... Blushing ...and heading back to my SoM re-start...Book

RE: City of dragons - finella - May-07-2012

I went over the reviews at Amazon UK and can fully understand, how frustrating it must be for Robin to read so many "bad" ones. I myself felt a bit hurt. And honestly: it's quite unfair to complain about the Kindle price or that the book has 200 pages less than the others, etc.. What do people expect??? If I like a book it doesn't matter how many pages it has. I buy it because I must have it. And everybody should know, that the author is absolutely innocent conc. the prices. And meanwhile anybody knows, that there will be a fourth book, so I wouldn't complain that it ends up so apruptly. The reader, who is really interested in Robins books, will know, that the Rainwild Chronicles were originally supposed to be a trilogy and ended up with one more book because of the complexity of the story. Why not wait until Blood of Dragons is published. Aaaaargh, sometimes one could get really annoyed.
Anyway, I hope, Robin won't take root of that (is that correct?). There are also a lot of reviews, that are enthusiastic, fair and very friendly. Although I haven't read it yet (I intend to wait until BoD is out), I love the book and it's cover itself. And I am glad, that I own it. And it's hard stuff, not to read it when everybody here is talking about it - and avoiding spoilers Crying

RE: City of dragons - Valarya - May-07-2012

(May-04-2012, 10:35 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: Rapskal is still a darling boy and remains my favourite character along with his Heeby of course. Wub Alise, on the other hand, isn't in my top ten any longer Undecided

I had the exact same reaction at the end of the book as you. P Rapskal = favorite! I never really liked Alise, though... so she stayed down at the bottom where she belongs. Bwahaha.

(May-07-2012, 04:53 PM (UTC))finella Wrote: And honestly: it's quite unfair to complain about the Kindle price or that the book has 200 pages less than the others, etc.. What do people expect??? If I like a book it doesn't matter how many pages it has. I buy it because I must have it.

Actually, I think it's extremely fair to complain about it. The Justice department is going after companies right now for how much they're charging on e-books. Of course that isn't the author's fault.. but it most certainly is fair to complain about it, lol.

(May-07-2012, 04:53 PM (UTC))finella Wrote: The reader, who is really interested in Robins books, will know, that the Rainwild Chronicles were originally supposed to be a trilogy and ended up with one more book because of the complexity of the story.

Hrm, I believe it was just going to be a stand-alone book.. then it became two books. Then four. And honestly? I think it's bullshit that the RWC consists of 4 separate books. The first book is pretty much only an intro. It feels like a 50-page intro where you're learning a couple of characters. That's it. It's ridiculous, actually. The first two books could have EASILY been just one book. And a good first book, when altogether. Separately, they're shit. Same goes for book 3. By itself, it's bullshit. I'm sure along with book 4 it would make much more sense.

Sorry, but I think you can tell I'm pretty annoyed by the RWC. I like that I get to read more of Hobb's writing in this most-amazing world I love, but I will stand up and say a million times that I was EXTREMELY disappointed at the fact it was 4 tiny books instead of 2 good-sized ones. It actually cheapened the whole ordeal for me and made me feel betrayed. Almost like her publishers were trying to extract as much money out of her readers as they could by chopping the story up in to such tiny pieces.

RE: City of dragons - 'thul - May-07-2012

'thul did not mind that it was split up a bit... What they did mind, was the delay between the releases...

RE: City of dragons - fool-ish - May-07-2012

I do agree that the four books could have been two and I am assuming it's down to the publishers rather than the author that they are split in this way? I didn't pay the price stated on the cover, it was a good few quid cheaper with Amazon. I do think that, as with 'A Wise Man's Fear' for example, I would have waited for the paperback edition or for the cost of the hardback to be reduced considerably because despite my love of Robin's work, CoD, as a book was not worth £20! ADwD was that price and it's mahoosive! And I'll not even bother rambling on about the long periods between releases, I've said my piece in that regard...a few times! Rant

For all that though, I did enjoy it and I was quite ok with Alise until her poor treatment and regard for Rapskal made their appearance. Ouch

Oh and I shan't be paying the full whack for BoD either! Publishers need to re-think their business practices as it is wholly unfair to both authors and readers alike how they get away with such dastardly deeds! Dodgy

RE: City of dragons - Valarya - May-07-2012

(May-07-2012, 07:54 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: despite my love of Robin's work, CoD, as a book was not worth £20! ADwD was that price and it's mahoosive!

This. Purely this.

Knight