thePlenty.net Forums
City of dragons (spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: City of dragons (spoilers) (/thread-396.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: City of dragons - finella - May-08-2012

When I read the Amazon reviews (I often do that before I decide to buy/read a book), I want to know, what people think of the story and not what they think about the price, the cover, publication date etc. My first concern is the story itself. And I think to give e.g. only 1 star, because of the kindle-price or the fact, that the book is splitted or is too thin (in pages), is very unfair towards the author in my view. With the previews you at first value the authors art and not something, the author has in part no influence on.
I mean, you won’t devaluate a wonderful painting because of an ugly frame, won’t you?
I am with thul. The delay in release is something that really annoys me. But because of that I would never ever devalue the book resp. the story itself.

RE: City of dragons - Valarya - May-08-2012

(May-08-2012, 08:57 AM (UTC))finella Wrote: My first concern is the story itself. And I think to give e.g. only 1 star, because of the kindle-price or the fact, that the book is splitted or is too thin (in pages), is very unfair towards the author in my view.

Well, I could see that side of the argument.. but in this case, if I were to leave a review for Book 1 of the RWC on amazon, it would say something along the lines of what I said earlier. That is:

"Not even half a story. An intro, really. This book feels like you've read a 50-page intro in to a really cheap fantasy. Decent characters so far but lacking anything relating to a plot, climax or resolution."

Each book, regardless of the fact it's a sequel or prequel or part of a series, should have a climax and resolution of some sorts. Surrender

RE: City of dragons - finella - May-08-2012

(May-08-2012, 01:52 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: This book feels like you've read a 50-page intro in to a really cheap fantasy. Decent characters so far but lacking anything relating to a plot, climax or resolution."

Really BlinkSurrender???? Are you talking about CoD or DK? If it's DK, then I'm really surprisedSmiling. I loved the first book, although so many people said it was boring. I didn't feel bored for one page. But perhaps I was only happy to be back in the Rainwilds. After I had my difficulties with Gernia.

RE: City of dragons - Valarya - May-08-2012

(May-08-2012, 03:28 PM (UTC))finella Wrote:
(May-08-2012, 01:52 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: This book feels like you've read a 50-page intro in to a really cheap fantasy. Decent characters so far but lacking anything relating to a plot, climax or resolution."

Really BlinkSurrender???? Are you talking about CoD or DK? If it's DK, then I'm really surprisedSmiling. I loved the first book, although so many people said it was boring. I didn't feel bored for one page. But perhaps I was only happy to be back in the Rainwilds. After I had my difficulties with Gernia.

I loved CoD (although it's too short as well...). I'm definitely talking about DK. I hated it my first read. In fact.. I was listening to it on audio book b/c a friend gave it to me and when it ended I thought there was something wrong with the audio file. I was sure my friend had forgotten to give me another 20 chapters at least. Dodgy Imagine my anger when I learned that was the real end of the book. Unbelievable to end it like that. I will always stick to the opinion that DK and DH should have been 1 book. Ouch

While the Realm of the Elderlings world is one of my favorites out of any series I've read... I really really liked Gernia and that trilogy, too. So I didn't have a problem with that one, haha. P

RE: City of dragons - 'thul - May-09-2012

you know, valarya... there is a solution to that... if you're going to give DK to a friend or somesuch as a gift, just "accidentally" get some superglue on the back cover, then accidentally stick a copy of DH there... Then they'll get the proper length... and unless they are (perfectly normally) observant, they wont even notice!

RE: City of dragons - Valarya - May-09-2012

(May-09-2012, 09:55 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: you know, valarya... there is a solution to that... if you're going to give DK to a friend or somesuch as a gift, just "accidentally" get some superglue on the back cover, then accidentally stick a copy of DH there... Then they'll get the proper length... and unless they are (perfectly normally) observant, they wont even notice!

Brilliant! Only problem is it'll cost me twice as much as it should. P

RE: City of dragons - 'thul - May-10-2012

There are always disadvantages...

RE: City of dragons - redchild - May-13-2012

(May-07-2012, 07:29 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: 'thul did not mind that it was split up a bit... What they did mind, was the delay between the releases...

I finished City of Dragons today and I completely agree. I think a longer wait between releases of more complete and comprehensive volumes would be more bearable

RE: City of dragons - Farseer - May-13-2012

Redchild! I've missed you! Slurp

RE: City of dragons - redchild - May-14-2012

Haha yeah I've been pretty busy lately and will be again as school's starting tomorrow. Just wanted to pop in after I finished the newest Rain Wilds book Smiling