thePlenty.net Forums
Blood of dragons - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Blood of dragons (/thread-397.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Blood of dragons - joost - Jan-15-2012

Well, I'm halfway. To be honest, not much spectacular has happened, just expected story developments. But Robin Hobb could describe how a phone book works and it would sound intriguing.....

RE: Blood of dragons - Valarya - Jan-16-2012

(Jan-15-2012, 06:36 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: Well, I'm halfway. To be honest, not much spectacular has happened, just expected story developments. But Robin Hobb could describe how a phone book works and it would sound intriguing.....

Ooooooh!!!!! Big Grin

RE: Blood of dragons - joost - Jan-17-2012

Finished today. Excellent book, as expected.

Well, that was it. Now wait for the next book by Robin Smiling.

RE: Blood of dragons - finella - Jan-18-2012

And - how do you feel ? Are you not sad, that "everything" is over now, because the series is ended ? No doubts, no uncertainties, no fears, no questions left. Puh, I always feel quite a bit empty after finishing. When I know, there won't come more. Finished, over ...!
Right at the moment I am glad and in a way thankful, that I don't have the books yet. I rather wait and keep on looking foward Smiling.

RE: Blood of dragons - Farseer - Jan-18-2012

(Jan-18-2012, 09:34 AM (UTC))finella Wrote: no questions left

I haven't read them yet but I'd bet my children on the fact that there are still 'plenty' of questions left to be answered by the end of BoD... Joker

Don't let me down Tangle Leader!! P

RE: Blood of dragons - finella - Jan-18-2012

Yeah, o.k, there will be certainly a lot of questions, one can discuss about.
But still - knowing, that there will never be annother book continuing a beloved story, would make me feel sad. And we can't rely on her to keep on writing about the Rain Wilds. Who knows, what will come next.

RE: Blood of dragons - joost - Jan-18-2012

One thing I noticed in the translation: In the translation of the LST books, several names were translated to a Dutch equivalent, but in the RWC books those names were untranslated. Different translator perhaps? Little inconsistencies like that are one reason I dislike translations.

Oh, and I like Chassim. Who that is? Read the books P.

RE: Blood of dragons - Farseer - Jan-18-2012

So, joost, what happens to those Dutch readers who may not have gone on to read the English versions of LST, as well as the Dutch, and so can't correspond the name translations to the original names? If Althea was translated to something else in LST but appeared as 'Althea' in CoD or BoD (not that I should be calling the books those names when we're talking about the translations!), how would a Dutch reader know who she was in the latter, without having read both the Enlglish and Dutch versions of LST to compare? I'd imagine it would be very confusing?! Blink

Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day distracted by predictions about who Chassim could possibly be! P The first things I thought of were 1) a slave or some such from Chalced, possibly even *LST spoiler*

2) a dragon we are somehow yet to meet or 3) someone or some being related in some way to the great chasm Big Grin that splits Kelsingra...of course I couldn't help but also immediately give a thought to poor old *Farseer spoiler*

No need to tell me yay or nay though. I'm happy to wait. Clapping

@finella: Even knowing that I haven't read CoD or BoD yet, I still can't imagine that the Realm of the Elderlings tale would have been fully told by the end of the two-turned-into-four RWC books (EDIT: or is that one-turned-into-two-then-turned-into-three-then-turned-into-four? hehe Big Grin). I believe, without a doubt, that we'll be reading more about the realm for some time yet. True, likely not under the RWC banner, unless Robin decides to add more to the 'chronicles' segment, but reading of it in some form (as novels, trilogies or short stories) we will certainly be. Just as the story did not end at the end of TM, it will not end with RWC. Of that I am sure. Smiling

RE: Blood of dragons - joost - Jan-19-2012

(Jan-18-2012, 09:34 AM (UTC))finella Wrote: And - how do you feel ? Are you not sad, that "everything" is over now, because the series is ended ? No doubts, no uncertainties, no fears, no questions left. Puh, I always feel quite a bit empty after finishing. When I know, there won't come more. Finished, over ...!
Didn't most people think the same thing after Farseer trilogy? And then after LST? And again after TM? And for a fourth time after DH?

But no, I'm not sad. Yes, there are probably still stories left untold, but as Michael Ende wrote "[...] that is another story and shall be told another time.".
(Jan-18-2012, 11:54 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: So, joost, what happens to those Dutch readers who may not have gone on to read the English versions of LST, as well as the Dutch, and so can't correspond the name translations to the original names?
So far I've seen 2 names that are different in LST and RWC. RWC translation has left almost all names untranslated. The differences btween LST translation and RWC translation that I could find (but please bear in mind that I haven't read the Dutch translation of LST, just summaries on internet!):
Brashen is called 'Bresker' in LWT
Chalced is called 'Kwarts' in LWT

Both series do have 'Beijerstad' for 'Bingtown' and
though.

Farseer trilogy names are almost all translated:
Veritas Ziener (Verity)
Regaal Ziener (Regal)
Vlijm Ziener (Shrewd)
etc etc

But perhaps this is source for a new thread and not part of a discussion on BoD

RE: Blood of dragons - finella - Jan-19-2012

(Jan-18-2012, 11:54 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Just as the story did not end at the end of TM, it will not end with RWC. Of that I am sure. Smiling

Well, I really hope, you are right !!!!!!

(Jan-19-2012, 08:15 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: Didn't most people think the same thing after Farseer trilogy? And then after LST? And again after TM? And for a fourth time after DH?

Finishing the second re-read of Assassin's Quest some days ago, I definitely had the blues. Although I love LST and TM and can always pick them up and start reading. But still ... Saying Farewell to e.g. Varity and Kettle, even for the third time, is always hard for me Crying