thePlenty.net Forums
Year of the Dragon Hobb Give-Away - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Upcoming books & other RH news (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Year of the Dragon Hobb Give-Away (/thread-400.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Year of the Dragon Hobb Give-Away - fool-ish - Jan-27-2012

I'm pretty certain that The 'useless U' is missing from all the UK editions of books by American authors that I own anyway. And any extra bits such as the list of dragons/keepers that you mentioned would be nice, but not wholly necessary I don't suppose. Maps..well I don't tend to go there very often, I'm really quite useless where they are concerned. The only downside I can think of really is the cost of shipping.

On my re-read of ASoIAF, I've noticed 'grey' as opposed to 'gray' which seems a little odd as everything else is spelled the American way. Maybe that was GRRM's nod (the only one allowed!) to the UK readers! P

RE: Year of the Dragon Hobb Give-Away - joost - Jan-28-2012

(Jan-27-2012, 11:07 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: YI did also learn from the Newsgroup recently that apparently the maps differ between the UK and US versions as well, so I will be interested to see what the differences are
The Dutch translation didn't have any maps in them. I don't know if this is normal for the translations (I never looked inside the other Dutch books) or if the maps aren't there in the original either.

EDIT: Oh, silly me. Just checked the British editions of the first two books and there are no maps in them either, so the maps probably aren't in the UK version of CoD/BoD either.

RE: Year of the Dragon Hobb Give-Away - 'thul - Jan-28-2012

fantasy books without any maps, or with bad maps, tend to be somewhat horrible. Suddenly you have a thousand missing leagues of distance between two points.
of course, though not detailed rain wilds-wise, there are maps for the RotE, and they are fairly stable scale-wise.

RE: Year of the Dragon Hobb Give-Away - Farseer - Jan-28-2012

(Jan-27-2012, 11:07 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Yes, it's for a US copy, fool-ish.

As for the differences, it's mainly just the spelling choices (here we go with the useless 'u' thing again! Big Grin) as far as I can tell. I did also learn from the Newsgroup recently that apparently the maps differ between the UK and US versions as well, so I will be interested to see what the differences are as I'm not waiting until April for the UK version...

Erk! Sorry. My post was so misleading that I misled myself halfway through! Surrender Big Grin

Yes, the UK and US maps do differ (in the rest of the RotE books) but, as joost pointed out, the UK versions of DK and DH don't have maps in them so it's doubtful CoD or BoD will have them either!

It's possible that this is because a map was quite useless at that point anyway, unless you are new to RotE as *RWC spoilers*

We all have to struggle together. I love it! Yay

RE: Year of the Dragon Hobb Give-Away - 'thul - Jan-29-2012

true. Having maps in DK/DH would have been wrong. These beings noticed such a thing in another book series (earth's children) where they had maps... It was somewhat boring to see where the characters would be going in the book. In future electronic books, it'd be nice to have maps that are adaptive, changing by how far the reader has come in the book. of course, such would still be impractical in papery books, unless they find a simple way to make cheap electronic ink paper to stick into the back of a book.

RE: Year of the Dragon Hobb Give-Away - Farseer - Feb-02-2012

So, did any of you win? If you did, you'll need to send an email (see link) to claim your prize. Smiling

RE: Year of the Dragon Hobb Give-Away - Valarya - Feb-10-2012

(Feb-02-2012, 10:23 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: So, did any of you win? If you did, you'll need to send an email (see link) to claim your prize. Smiling

Nope. Crying

RE: Year of the Dragon Hobb Give-Away - 'thul - Feb-11-2012

unfortunately and expectedly, no.

RE: Year of the Dragon Hobb Give-Away - finella - Feb-12-2012

me neither Down.