thePlenty.net Forums
A song of Ice and fire discussion (spoilers incl A Dance with Dragons) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: A song of Ice and fire discussion (spoilers incl A Dance with Dragons) (/thread-41.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - fool-ish - Jan-15-2012

(Jan-15-2012, 01:29 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: But the good part of Daeny's chapters in the last two books is Missandei.
Yes, I find Missandei a far more interesting character than mopey Dany..in fact, any character is more interesting than that one at the moment! And hell's teeth, was there ever a more detestable character than Ramsay Bolton! Mad

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - Valarya - Jan-16-2012

(Jan-14-2012, 11:27 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: In contrast to Edd and Tyrion, Daenerys is getting right on my nerves! I seem to be enjoying every POV except hers. Someone put her in a bag and shake her up!

This is why it took Martin 6 years to release this book. He called it the "Mereneese" plot. The whole ordeal is the fact Dany needs to leave Mereen, to further her goal of becoming eventual-Queen of Westeros.. but she can't just leave Mereen in its current mess. She knows the moment she's gone, the slave trade will just once again flourish.

You can definitely see Martin struggling for a resolution in her chapters. It's funny you mention it because they were my least favorite chapters in Book 5 as well.

Now Ramsay... whoooo he is a piece of work. But at least he's interesting to read about, lol. Theon's chapters were, by far, my favorite in this book. Even moreso than Tyrion's or Jon's, which is saying a LOT (since they're my 2 fav characters).

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - 'thul - Jan-16-2012

These beings have a natural favorite POV that has persisted through the books and years. Arya.

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - fool-ish - Jan-16-2012

I think perhaps my problem is more to do with the plot line than the character. She really should give over dithering about in Meereen and get on with accomplishing what she set out to do. Maybe I'm missing something here, but if it's all about morals and ethics, then it would seem a waste of time and energy, as both of those things are somewhat thin on the ground in this particular world!

Ramsay Bolton is an interesting character, even if he does make me cringe! And I've always enjoyed Theon's POV. Jon's a little on the boring side too, but there is always Dolorous Edd within his POVs to raise a laugh. Big Grin

(Jan-16-2012, 11:09 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: These beings have a natural favorite POV that has persisted through the books and years. Arya.

Mmm, she is definitely one of my favorites, too. I loved her chapters in this book.

You'll notice my forum-name is a blend of Tolkien's Valar... and Martin's Arya. Purposefully. Smiling

Is Arya in this book? That's something to look forward to, I too like her character.

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - 'thul - Jan-16-2012

'thul might be wrong, but they believe Arya appears in all the books. She does appear in ADWD.

I thought that because she was in AFFC, she wouldn't be in ADWD as the two books sort of run parallel to each other. I just about remember where her story left off in AFFC.

(Jan-16-2012, 02:55 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: I thought that because she was in AFFC, she wouldn't be in ADWD as the two books sort of run parallel to each other. I just about remember where her story left off in AFFC.

They run parallel to each other up until about 2/3rds of the book and then they converge and start their own brand-new timeline. I'm sorry for spoiling the fact Arya is in this book. Blushing

Don't worry about that Valarya. It's good to know and it'll keep me going while I'm slogging through Meereen! P