thePlenty.net Forums
A song of Ice and fire discussion (spoilers incl A Dance with Dragons) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: A song of Ice and fire discussion (spoilers incl A Dance with Dragons) (/thread-41.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - fool-ish - Jun-27-2012

Am I the only one to quite like Robert? I know he's a daft, drunken buffoon, but he adds a certain comedy to proceedings, I think. His whole non king-like attitude amused me. Actually, I'm quite fond of all the Baratheon brothers. P

I'm sure I've seen the word 'mislike' somewhere..probably in ASoIaF! Is it not a real word? Ah well, no matter, it's a good'un! P

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - Valarya - Jun-27-2012

(Jun-27-2012, 10:53 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: Am I the only one to quite like Robert? I know he's a daft, drunken buffoon, but he adds a certain comedy to proceedings, I think. His whole non king-like attitude amused me. Actually, I'm quite fond of all the Baratheon brothers. P

I'm sure I've seen the word 'mislike' somewhere..probably in ASoIaF! Is it not a real word? Ah well, no matter, it's a good'un! P

It is a good word. Haha Dance But 'dislike' is proper. Slurp

I don't necessarily hate Robert.. he's just exactly what you said: a buffoon.. and that makes him less than desirable. He does have one of my favorite quotes in the whole book, though:

Cersei: I shall wear this as a badge of honor.

Robert: Wear it in silence or I'll honor you again.

Big Grin

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - Farseer - Jun-27-2012

(Jun-27-2012, 10:53 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: I'm sure I've seen the word 'mislike' somewhere..probably in ASoIaF!

It's there alright. Smiling I just came across it, and grinned! Big Grin

@ Valarya: Oh, I thought fool-ish said that Sansa grew on her (?) and so this meant her (fool-ish's) feelings had positively changed for Sansa somewhat? This never happened for me with that *other* little cow...I hated her to the end as we know it so far ( P !!)...and so I was predicting that I would feel the same way about Sansa from start to finish.

To be fair to Sansa though, she *did* show empathy for Hound when he told her his story, and also later backed him in the tourney.

As for Hound, well, he's been a pleasant surprise and I hope he's not going to be killed off too soon.

One thing that I do like about many of the people that I don't like P is that they have their moments when I do find that I *could* like them...eg the example with Sansa that I gave above ^ and also with Catelyn who has, at least, paused to question herself with regards to her feelings toward Tyrion and is acting out of what she believes to be fair retribution, not just wanting to kill for the sake of killing. She's wrong but if she learns this, I hope she will then do the right thing. If she did the wrong thing, knowing the truth, well then I'd just have to strike her off my Christmas card list for all eternity. Smiling

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - fool-ish - Jun-28-2012

(Jun-27-2012, 11:59 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote:
(Jun-27-2012, 10:53 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: I'm sure I've seen the word 'mislike' somewhere..probably in ASoIaF!

It's there alright. Smiling I just came across it, and grinned! Big Grin

@ Valarya: Oh, I thought fool-ish said that Sansa grew on her (?) and so this meant her (fool-ish's) feelings had positively changed for Sansa somewhat? This never happened for me with that *other* little cow...I hated her to the end as we know it so far ( P !!)...and so I was predicting that I would feel the same way about Sansa from start to finish.

To be fair to Sansa though, she *did* show empathy for Hound when he told her his story, and also later backed him in the tourney.

As for Hound, well, he's been a pleasant surprise and I hope he's not going to be killed off too soon.

One thing that I do like about many of the people that I don't like P is that they have their moments when I do find that I *could* like them...eg the example with Sansa that I gave above ^ and also with Catelyn who has, at least, paused to question herself with regards to her feelings toward Tyrion and is acting out of what she believes to be fair retribution, not just wanting to kill for the sake of killing. She's wrong but if she learns this, I hope she will then do the right thing. If she did the wrong thing, knowing the truth, well then I'd just have to strike her off my Christmas card list for all eternity. Smiling

I knew I'd seen it somewhere! Big Grin

I did say Sansa grew on me as the books went on. I wouldn't go so far as to say I 'like' her as such, more that she matured somewhat and quite forcibly!

I'm a great fan of the Hound! Definitely one of my favourite characters and more complex than you would initially think.

There are more 'grey' characters in this series than any other I've read...they tend to shock and surprise regularly, which is all to the good and makes for great reading. Smiling

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - Farseer - Jul-14-2012

I haven't actually watched this AGoT clip, set to some James Blunt music, but apparently it's good - (link has spoilers for both the book and TV series of A Game of Thrones, I'm assuming).

Will get around to watching the TV series after I finish reading ADwD...maybe. Undecided

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - Farseer - Jul-18-2012

So, as I updated in the 'What are you reading right now?' thread, I have, at last, finished ADwD and subsequently all of the ASoIaF books released thus far.

By the end of all of the books, I cared little of anyone except Jon Snow, Arya, Gendry and Mormont's raven...actually, I think Mormont's raven may even be my favourite character of the series! Big Grin As for Sansa, well, I care less about her than those three but more about than anyone else, if that makes sense?

Before I add much else, I am going to have a deeper gander around this here thread...it's taken me years to get here so I may be a while... Wink

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - joost - Jul-18-2012

Not Brienne or Missandei? I loved both characters.

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - Farseer - Jul-18-2012

Oh! How could I forget Brienne?! Yes, yes, I cared about her very much. Smiling Missandei not so much. P It's not that I didn't like her or anything...I just didn't *care* about her.

I knew something was always going to be in the wind for Jaime, despite my own dislike of him from the very beginning, as my son had often spoken of him as being one of his favourite characters. Imagine my shock when I first came across this incestuos, king-slaying turncloak! Blink I still can't stand him but his and Brienne's relationship was one of the more enjoyable in the books, for mine.

I don't think I've left anyone else out, except for maybe Sam. He's a true-blue one, that one. Undecided Tyrion more than most of the other annoying mainstays, yes, but he's worn a bit thin with me during ADwD so I've reached the "Oh, Others take Tyrion!" stage. Smiling That may change though.

EDIT: I had to come back and add in Sandor Clegane (the Hound) as being one I still cared about by the close of ADwD. I should have thought about it some more before I began my list. So, will Farseer think of still more if she takes some more time to *think*?! 22 END EDIT

More soon. I'm about ten (?) pages into the thread and was relieved to read that I'm actually *not* the only Hobb fan who hasn't overly enjoyed ASoIaF in comparison...I was hugely surprised that you, Chrischa, were with me in that group though!

ps Glad to see that you're still talking to me, joost! Wink

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - fool-ish - Jul-18-2012

No love for Stannis then? P I'm very fond of Stannis. He is so focused and his dry wit cracks me up every time..some of the best lines in the books belong to this man (with the exception of Dolorous Edd, of course!) Though he'd probably do well to separate himself from Melisandre as I don't think he's overly fond of roasting folk really Uhhuh

I also liked Brienne a lot, though I never really had fond thoughts of Jaime even when he supposedly changed his spots, so to speak.

And surely a girl must like Jaqen...

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - Farseer - Jul-19-2012

(Jul-18-2012, 10:39 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: No love for Stannis then? P

Nup! Big Grin

(Jul-18-2012, 10:39 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: And surely a girl must like Jaqen...

Tsk, I knew there'd be others. We'll be playing this game for the next year most likely...someone putting name after name forward followed by my naying or yaying! Happyballoon Yup, Jaqen is definitely on my 'I care enough to want to read about' list, too. Smiling

I thought about adding the direwolves to the list but nah, although I *am* interested to find out more about Nymeria's role in the whole scheme of things (is that a contradiction? P ) ...that she is a she-wolf but still leader of a pack, and a large pack at that, is nice.

I should say here, speaking of lines, that although the series left me a little 'Bleh", there were some pearlers as far as quotes go! Thankful Now I just have to recall them...though you, fool-ish, and joost have two trailing after you.

I have lots still to chat about but, as I am yet to get through the rest of the thread, I'll leave off for now in case the points have already been raised. I will certainly be coming back to the questions raised re Jon Snow's identity!