thePlenty.net Forums
A song of Ice and fire discussion (spoilers incl A Dance with Dragons) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: A song of Ice and fire discussion (spoilers incl A Dance with Dragons) (/thread-41.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion (spoilers incl A Dance with Dragons) - fool-ish - Dec-01-2012

And then there's me, who avoids looking at maps unless absolutely necessary Blushing

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion (spoilers incl A Dance with Dragons) - 'thul - Dec-01-2012

if maps are spoilerish, then they are nice to avoid...

Like how some maps show travel route of heroic party or some spot marked "evil villain lair"

good maps shouldn't obviously reveal such, yet it might be nice to have mid-book map "updates" if the maps do cover travel route....

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion (spoilers incl A Dance with Dragons) - joost - Dec-01-2012

I love maps. I have two huge John Howe maps (one of Numenor, one of Beleriand) on my wall. And when a book has a map, I almost always go to it when someone mentions a placename or an area in that book, to see where that place would be. Books without maps which use a lot of placenames somehow irritate me too.

The danger of maps is of course that it's far easier to find stupid errors. Like a party of 10 people travelling from X to Y in 2 days on foot, while the map clearly shows that they're on two different ends of the world with 3 seas and 2 deserts in between.

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion (spoilers incl A Dance with Dragons) - 'thul - Dec-01-2012

Such errors are the reason most stories ought to have a map. If utilized correctly, a map will prevent them. It is so easy to forget a bit of distance... like a thousand leagues here or there.

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion (spoilers incl A Dance with Dragons) - Farseer - Mar-26-2013

Shouldn't really post this as I haven't had a chance to look at it first Blushing but hopefully it's okay! A Newsgroup member posted it and, seemingly being something to do with ASoIaF, I thought you may like to view it.

Jumping in the car again, and not likely to be able to see the clip for at least a few days yet, so please let me know if you watch it and deem it to be something that I should take down!

EDIT: Oops. The link helps! Big Grin http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j7lp3RhzfgI

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion (spoilers incl A Dance with Dragons) - 'thul - Apr-01-2013

it was a clip of a song of someone asking in a funny way if GRRM could write faster.

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion (spoilers incl A Dance with Dragons) - joost - Apr-11-2013

I finished season 2 of Game of thrones yesterday. I'm very annoyed with the renaming of Asha, but it's been too long since the books to remember any detail. I had completely forgotten Talisa for instance.

Overall a nice watch, but so far I like it, I don't love it.

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion (spoilers incl A Dance with Dragons) - Valarya - Apr-11-2013

(Apr-11-2013, 06:28 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: I finished season 2 of Game of thrones yesterday. I'm very annoyed with the renaming of Asha, but it's been too long since the books to remember any detail. I had completely forgotten Talisa for instance.

The renaming of Asha was ridiculous. They didn't want viewers to be confused with Osha (Tonks! lol)... but Yara (the new Asha) can be easily confused with Arya! So I don't get it. Uhhuh

In regards to Talisa... that's supposed to be Jeyne Westerling. Daughter of one of the Lords-vassal to The Lannisters. Robb ends up getting wounded in the west close to the Westerlings and Jeyne nurses him back to health - and he falls in love with her and marries her. HBO just changed it so she was a nurse from the free cities. /shrug - doesn't really make THAT much of a difference.

In regards to 'liking it' and not 'loving it,' I know how you feel. Although when it comes to some of my favorite literature put to the screen (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, etc) - I think of them as two separate things. I have to, else I'll nitpick and get irritated. I still do nit-pick a little bit for discussion-sake, but overall I just get thrilled at seeing my favorite worlds come to life on the screen.

Just go with it. ;P

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion (spoilers incl A Dance with Dragons) - 'thul - Apr-11-2013

There's bound to be some adaption decay. Still, they've done an excellent job with GoT. Most of the time it is not so much decay as it is sidetrack.

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion (spoilers incl A Dance with Dragons) - Luckheart - May-16-2013

(Apr-11-2013, 06:39 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote:
(Apr-11-2013, 06:28 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: I finished season 2 of Game of thrones yesterday. I'm very annoyed with the renaming of Asha, but it's been too long since the books to remember any detail. I had completely forgotten Talisa for instance.

The renaming of Asha was ridiculous. They didn't want viewers to be confused with Osha (Tonks! lol)... but Yara (the new Asha) can be easily confused with Arya! So I don't get it. Uhhuh

In regards to Talisa... that's supposed to be Jeyne Westerling. Daughter of one of the Lords-vassal to The Lannisters. Robb ends up getting wounded in the west close to the Westerlings and Jeyne nurses him back to health - and he falls in love with her and marries her. HBO just changed it so she was a nurse from the free cities. /shrug - doesn't really make THAT much of a difference.

I've read all the the GoT books, which I enjoyed thoroughly, and watched the first season of the T.V show - which I have to say I found great and a pleasant surprise considering other good books put to the screen (i.e, Eragon).

I was planning to continue watching it; but I was unaware names were changed! Rant
Are there much more changes? I'm aware name-changing is fairly minor, but it still annoys me hahahaha