thePlenty.net Forums
A song of Ice and fire discussion (spoilers incl A Dance with Dragons) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: A song of Ice and fire discussion (spoilers incl A Dance with Dragons) (/thread-41.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - redchild - Apr-30-2011

Tilda Swinton has got androgynous physical features that are quite striking. She's also a bit quirky and unconventional personality-wise and she doesn't really shy away from taking on male roles so I guess that's why.

Has anyone been watching HBO's Game of Thrones? I think it's great. There are some changes from the novels but that's inevitable. I'm treating the show as a completely different treatment than the novel but as I am currently re-reading the book, I'm pretty surprised how closely they followed the text.

I also really like the opening credits. Great concept and execution.

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - 'thul - Apr-30-2011

the problem with doing them in live action is that there is no comparison on earth to even get the environmental and weathery behavior around such even half-correct... there's also the issue with generating a dwarven underground nation, including a drum the dozens of meters in diameter... each one part may be possible with abnormal funding, but the whole is far too complex...

you reflect the opinions of the 'thul well, redchild.

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - finella - May-06-2011

(Apr-30-2011, 09:10 AM (UTC))redchild Wrote: Has anyone been watching HBO's Game of Thrones? I think it's great. There are some changes from the novels but that's inevitable. I'm treating the show as a completely different treatment than the novel but as I am currently re-reading the book, I'm pretty surprised how closely they followed the text.

Years ago I first discovered Robin Hobb and then ASOIAF. Robin Hobb with her entire opus and Martin’s ASOIAF are my top-favorite fantasy stars. I have the same probleme like chrisschaeffer or Albertosaurus Rex. I measure everything according to them. Thank god I can still enjoy other fantasy books. Just lately I found the Acacia-series by David Anthony Durham and really liked it. But still – whenever there is a new Hobb book coming up, it’s like Easter and Chrismas together. And I’m eagerly waiting for the next ASOIAF book.

I wonder, when we’ll see the ASOIAF-HBO-series here in Germany Down. Probably I have to wait for the dvd. I saw some trailers and found them very well done. The pictures of The Wall highly impressed me. Therefore I’m really looking forward to it. And I’m rather positiv, because I hope, that a lot of people will read the books after having seen the series (if the series is really as good as the trailers promise to be).

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - 'thul - May-06-2011

It is as good as the trailers promise, if not better...

There are always ways to get TV shows that do not come in one's own country, but 'thul will not speak of such ways here. Some such ways may not be entirely legal...

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - Albertosaurus Rex - May-06-2011

(May-06-2011, 10:35 AM (UTC))finella Wrote: Years ago I first discovered Robin Hobb and then ASOIAF. Robin Hobb with her entire opus and Martin’s ASOIAF are my top-favorite fantasy stars. I have the same probleme like chrisschaeffer or Albertosaurus Rex. I measure everything according to them. Thank god I can still enjoy other fantasy books. Just lately I found the Acacia-series by David Anthony Durham and really liked it. But still – whenever there is a new Hobb book coming up, it’s like Easter and Chrismas together. And I’m eagerly waiting for the next ASOIAF book.

I've been curious about David Anthony Durham. So you enjoyed his books?

Game of Thrones is currently not airing in the Netherlands.

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - danieladamsmith - May-06-2011

Don't you download torrents? You can get it off of EZTV.it...

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - FoolishGirl - May-09-2011

(Apr-30-2011, 09:10 AM (UTC))redchild Wrote: Has anyone been watching HBO's Game of Thrones? I think it's great...

I also really like the opening credits. Great concept and execution.

I saw the first two episodes with my cousins and we all loved it. Tyrion Lannister will likely be my fave character, although in the books I always liked Jon Snow the best.
I'm jones-ing for more but I don't have HBO. Ah well, time to re-read the books and wait for DVD's...Book
I agree that the open is great. Excellent way to quickly orient viewers and love the effects.

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - Albertosaurus Rex - May-09-2011

(May-06-2011, 02:50 PM (UTC))danieladamsmith Wrote: Don't you download torrents? You can get it off of EZTV.it...

Call me crazy, call me old-fashioned, but I prefer to do things the legal way. I'll just need to have patience...

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - 'thul - May-09-2011

these beings are similarly opposed to the illegal forms of movies, mainly the ones that are recorded in the movie theater. (those generally defined as "cam" or "telesync" editions. Movies that have been released on hard media however, these beings do not worry so much about. There are no local stores supplying such within reasonable timeframe.

RE: A song of Ice and fire discussion - danieladamsmith - May-10-2011

I live abroad in Austria. If I waited for the GOT on DVD I might get lucky by 2013....I don't watch cam movies. I don't illegally download new music but the estates of older music have made enough money off of me for a lifetime. I've bought most of those records on vinyl, 8 track, cassette, and cd..Though I did buy the Beatles Remastered Box...
If I lived in the States I would have HBO and watch it weekly.

Here in Austria they only show those shows dubbed into German.[/align]