thePlenty.net Forums
Maps (major spoilers all RotE books/short stories up to end DH) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Maps (major spoilers all RotE books/short stories up to end DH) (/thread-412.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Maps (major spoilers all RotE books/short stories up to end DH) - 'thul - Feb-12-2012

You should also add a few odd branching sources to the RW river. Smaller ones, that is.

oh, and it might turn out when you read the RWC that you notice that using just simple lines of single, constant thickness is not the best display.
It might help to use the travel time as specified by dates on page headings to add what few landmarks can be seen in the RWC. Perhaps add a few small points or X-es for notable locations along the river in the story? (and guesstimate some additional elderling ruins?)

Yet another thing about the rain wild river is that its branching, not having a single main channel, which makes exploring it rather difficult. The changing courses of the river, where it branches and unbranches from year to year does of course not help.

you should find some sort of tagging to use for marking out forest as well as the RW swamp.

As an estimate for the secondary branch these beings would say putting it about 3/4ths or so of the way from Cassarick to Kelsingra.

RE: Maps (major spoilers all RotE books/short stories up to end DH) - Brashen - Feb-12-2012

(Feb-12-2012, 02:28 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Welcome, welcome, welcome Brashen (aka Phil) Grouphug !!! It's fantastic to have you here on thePlenty with us, and thanks once again for sharing your map and knowledge of the realm with your fellow Hobb fans! Slurp I am really looking forward to lots of great discussions here. Clapping

I have been away and life in the next week is going to be up in the high revs (super busy!) so I won't be able to come on here a lot Down but, after that, look out... Big Grin

Thanks Smiling Well, I'm also looking forward to have those discussions and to have you beeing busy here (!) again Smiling

'thul, thanks, I also prefer thought-out critique instead of blind acceptance. So it's gonna be great to discuss Smiling

(Feb-12-2012, 05:15 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: I like the idea of Chalced being a bigger state because, you're right, they are in constant issue with Bingtown & the Six Duchies. Before reading the RWC I would have assumed their state to be much larger, but seeing how brutal of a people they are in the RWC, well... I think it's just in their nature to fight every one around them. STILL, I like what you've done.

Uh... need to finish my other books and start with the RWC P Also with the extra branch before Kelsingra... need to read Smiling

RE: Maps (major spoilers all RotE books/short stories up to end DH) - 'thul - Feb-12-2012

you could think of it (rain wild river) somewhat like the Danube river, only stuck in a gigantic and fairly flat primeval rain forest with acid water).
The further from the shore one gets, the smaller it gets. Because of flat land, it branches and unbranches all the time, branches often moving with seasons. From its source to its mouth, it slowly gains tributaries that widen the flow. For some of its length it is wide enough to make things not far beyond the forest at its edge invisible from the other shore, or even from within it. Maybe mix in a bit of the Amazon river.

RE: Maps (major spoilers all RotE books/short stories up to end DH) - Farseer - Feb-12-2012

EDIT: Just deleted my last convoluted post as I read and realised that everything in it was totally WRONG! Erk! Will leave off saying another word until I have time...better to say nothing at all than make more of a fool of myself! Big Grin

RE: Maps (major spoilers all RotE books/short stories up to end DH) - Brashen - Feb-13-2012

Hm, as soon as my exams are done I need to draw some examples of the rain wild river and show them to you. I think we could make it look quite realistic and authentic to the stroy Smiling

RE: Maps (major spoilers all RotE books/short stories up to end DH) - 'thul - Feb-13-2012

That sounds like a good thing. Take your time.