thePlenty.net Forums
where are we all from?? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: where are we all from?? (/thread-418.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: where are we all from?? - 'thul - Feb-19-2012

Iceland is a nice place. Lots of hot spring and geothermal activity well-suited to any dragon that might visit.

RE: where are we all from?? - Albertosaurus Rex - Feb-20-2012

I am from the Netherlands, from a town called Almere which is somewhere around the centre of the country.

RE: where are we all from?? - FoolishGirl - Feb-21-2012

Another American: I'm from Boston, MA. No Boston accent, though! Stints in the South and the Midwest cancelled this out...

RE: where are we all from?? - Farseer - Feb-21-2012

There have been a few Americans over the years but not so regularly on here now.

Cooee, Nuytsia and Liquid Ice! Where are you both? Detective I need some more Aussies with me on this here map!

@ joost: True! I guess it all does come down to relativity! P

RE: where are we all from?? - 'thul - Feb-21-2012

you at least find people from same section of your continent/country that read the same books. 'thul rarely encounter any Norwegians at all on the internet, let alone ones reading the great fantasy stories...

RE: where are we all from?? - fool-ish - Feb-21-2012

There doesn't appear to be many from these parts either

RE: where are we all from?? - Valarya - Feb-21-2012

Albertosaurus and FoolishGirl added to the map! Grouphug

http://g.co/maps/cfteq

RE: where are we all from?? - Farseer - Feb-26-2012

(Feb-18-2012, 01:09 AM (UTC))Narya Wrote: I recently spent 30 years in Alaska

Was it just me who went Uhhuh Blink after reading this and thought how wonderful it is that Narya has lived in Alaska just as our Tangle Leader has done?! Clapping

Alaska is one of those places on the map that I would dearly love to be able to visit. Boat Reading stuff by Gary Paulsen with my kids only makes the pull stonger! Smiling

RE: where are we all from?? - Narya - Feb-26-2012

(Feb-26-2012, 12:30 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote:
(Feb-18-2012, 01:09 AM (UTC))Narya Wrote: I recently spent 30 years in Alaska

Was it just me who went Uhhuh Blink after reading this and thought how wonderful it is that Narya has lived in Alaska just as our Tangle Leader has done?! Clapping

Alaska is one of those places on the map that I would dearly love to be able to visit. Boat Reading stuff by Gary Paulsen with my kids only makes the pull stonger! Smiling
Some of the scenes she describes are very Southcentral Alaskan. She may have visited Anchorage while I was there, but to my knowledge, our paths never crossed.

Alaska is that place that many people would dearly love to visit. They come on a cruise to Southeast Alaska, in the summer, and are stunned by the beauty. And they think that is "Alaska". But there are lots of different Alaskas, depending on the locations and seasons. Sitka in the fall (where it averages an inch of rain a day), is a little different than Anvik in the winter, at -60 F (-50 C) and white-outs of blowing snow, or Anchorage, at break-up (spring), when everything is ankle deep in the sudden thaw of 6 months of snow, or Fairbanks in the summer, where it gets up to 99 F (37 C), and is light all the time - you can't see stars for 3 months.

Some people thrive in the harshly different seasons. I didn't. I couldn't handle having a cold, dead, dark, colorless world for 6 months of the year. And rainy, grey summers. I'm much happier in California, where the crummiest winter day here is not that different than a typical summer day in Anchorage (rainy, 65 F or 18 C).

Anyway, if you visit, come in the early summer (fewer mosquitoes) and bring your raincoat! Big Grin

RE: where are we all from?? - fool-ish - Feb-26-2012

Rainy, grey summers..sounds very much like England. Down