thePlenty.net Forums
city of dragons character help - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: city of dragons character help (/thread-444.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: city of dragons character help - 'thul - Apr-17-2012

that is an off-center generalization if there ever was one. These beings can hardly recall any work of high fantasy where it was made clear that people wore tights. Swordsmanship is a skill that appears, though it is rarely made that much a point of. Castles too are only a small element of such stories, with most of the story occurring away from them.

RE: city of dragons character help - fool-ish - Apr-17-2012

Reecem27, I couldn't break off from reading a good book either. However, when you're done you really should get copies of LST as they are a fantastic read in their own right and will give you a great insight into events that led to where you're at now in the Rain Wilds. A must read! Book
(Apr-17-2012, 11:32 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: that is an off-center generalization if there ever was one. These beings can hardly recall any work of high fantasy where it was made clear that people wore tights. Swordsmanship is a skill that appears, though it is rarely made that much a point of. Castles too are only a small element of such stories, with most of the story occurring away from them.
I've explained all this to her 'thul and when she/I speak of 'men in tights' we refer to leggings Smiling Yet she'll watch LOTR films avidly, men in tights and all! Like I said, stubborn and contradictory to boot!

when these beings use the term "leggings" they always refer to it as a quaint form of pants. Not at all related to tights except in covering the legs. So far as 'thul know, it was not all that common with tights in those eras. There were few stretchy materials and clothes were expensive things, generally having to be made to fit one person at a time. These beings guess that leggings more often referred to loose clothes covering the legs, like loose woolen pants. most probably the layout of the seams and such were far simpler than modern clothes, at least among the common folk. with few materials being stretchy, it would be very expensive to fit any leggings to actually be tight.

RE: city of dragons character help - joost - Apr-17-2012

(Apr-16-2012, 10:12 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: @joost: I had to grin, thinking of your poor mother being subjected to reading RWC cold turkey, without "the entire background story"! Wink Big Grin
She enjoyed the story nevertheless. I think the story can be followed without too much problems actually if you're not interested in character backgrounds. With those backgrounds the story becomes even better of course.

RE: city of dragons character help - Provost - Apr-17-2012

Hold up! Didn't Regal and his associates enjoy wearing tights?Crown No one go any farther until we've figured this out or our understanding of his motivations will forever be crippled.

Unfortunately, I don't have a book on hand to double check. Ah well, men in tights have to be a sign of moral decadence and corruption.

these beings just searched through all three of the farseer books for the phrase "tights". No matches found. Yes, 'thul did that in less than a minute and a half.

RE: city of dragons character help - Farseer - Apr-17-2012

It's 4am and I have things to do and here I am replying to a post about leggings and tights?! RotE addict much?! Surrender Big Grin

Yup, if Fitz wore them, then Regal certainly did. I don't need to go back and read the books because I *know* that Fitz wore leggings. Such silly facts about a loved one are easy to remember when one is infatuated...ah, Fitz. Wub

Maybe Regal's were itchy and that's why he was so grumpy with the world...

There's no denying that. 'thul even searched for it. However, you are stuck somewhat in just a single definition of the word, farseer.
These beings looked up the definition on an online dictionary just now, and the definition "tights" did not appear at all for it.

Leg·ging (lgng)
n.
1. A leg covering usually extending from the ankle to the knee and often made of material such as leather or canvas, worn especially by soldiers and workers.
2. leggings
a. Tight-fitting knit trousers, usually worn by women and children.
b. Warm outerwear trousers for children.

leggings [ˈlɛgɪŋz]
pl n
1. (Clothing & Fashion) an extra outer covering for the lower legs
2. (Clothing & Fashion) close-fitting trousers worn by women and children
legginged adj

RE: city of dragons character help - Provost - Apr-17-2012

The 'thul beings searched three books in a minute and a half? There must be more of them than anyone suspected.

Provost meat?