thePlenty.net Forums
city of dragons character help - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: city of dragons character help (/thread-444.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: city of dragons character help - Farseer - Apr-18-2012

(Apr-18-2012, 05:11 AM (UTC))reecem27 Wrote: I've read a lot enough about Malta and her companions now to get the gist of the LST trilogy and continue with CoD confidently knowing Malta's place in the story.

Just had a thought (yes, it happens now and then! P ) ...you may also find the Malta thread helpful. After all, it *was* made in Malta's honour. Big Grin

Sorry for not having thought of it before. There may not be a lot in there but it may possibly help the overall 'Malta picture'. Major spoilers in there for LST though...and I'll be very surprised if you don't want to go straight back to LST once you read of a special someone whom you may meet when you're there! Wink

The LST trilogy must be read to not only get the full picture of the RWC but the Tawny Man trilogy and the entire RotE saga also.

RE: city of dragons character help - FoolishGirl - Apr-19-2012

(Apr-17-2012, 11:25 AM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: She's nearly 18 and so I'm really quite powerless as to what she will/won't read. She has stated in the past that she's not keen on the old swords and castles and men in tights genre, though I can't think of a time when she's even tried to read anything from that genre, so that's a non-argument if you ask me. Like me, she can become quite obsessed (one only has to see her bedroom, dedicated to Harry Potter) and to that end, I told her how she would learn to adore Fitz and fool etc. just as I did. Stubborn child, she is, but I hold on to the hope that she'll be so desperate for something to read, she'll give in and go for it and then regret that she didn't listen to her mother earlier! P

My son is 8 and is way into Harry Potter, Eragon and LOTR, so I'm just dying to be able to hand him the Farseer trilogy. It will be a few years, yet, but I've been telling him all about the dragons (no fire, just poison), the different types of magic, etc...just priming the pump, so to speak! Can't wait to have someone in the family to talk to about this stuff.

RE: city of dragons character help - reecem27 - Apr-19-2012

(Apr-18-2012, 08:26 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Off topic? Where?! Knight

*sigh* Ring-in mods can just never do the job properly! Innocent Whistling

(Apr-18-2012, 05:11 AM (UTC))reecem27 Wrote: would taste similar to Australia's "pure blonde"...

There aren't enough carbs in there for me to have bothered to taste it. Actually, any beer is terrible but, being a Queenslander, I'd only ever go for XXXX...but let's not go more off topic!! P

(Apr-18-2012, 05:11 AM (UTC))reecem27 Wrote: I've read a lot enough about Malta and her companions now to get the gist of the LST trilogy and continue with CoD confidently knowing Malta's place in the story.

Great! Your assessment of CoD so far was spot on, even without any backstory info.

(Apr-18-2012, 05:11 AM (UTC))reecem27 Wrote: I am glad I found this forum though. Thanks for the help! Surrender

Come back any time. Grouphug

Queenslander... now there's the problem. Let me just get a spanner and fix that for you. Oh, wait... I'm sure the blues will do that in a few weeks.

All beer is great (VB is not a beer, so not in that list), but i'd have to agree that xxxx is the only one I'd be ok with drinking from a tinny.

I have no probs getting off topic, but the tights/leggings debate was detracting from my question about Malta - who I'm sure would look smokin' in leggings.

You'll see me around here more often I'd say...

Cheers

RE: city of dragons character help - 'thul - Apr-19-2012

FoolishGirl, it would be more natural to say that RotE dragons spit acid than poison. For really technical/scientific views, you could say molecular acid.
for a sci-fi comparison, compare it to a milder form of Alien/Xenomorph blood.

RE: city of dragons character help - fool-ish - Apr-19-2012

(Apr-19-2012, 02:14 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: FoolishGirl, it would be more natural to say that RotE dragons spit acid than poison. For really technical/scientific views, you could say molecular acid.
for a sci-fi comparison, compare it to a milder form of Alien/Xenomorph blood.
Will you please stop going off topic! Blink I never do that! Wink

(Apr-19-2012, 12:54 AM (UTC))FoolishGirl Wrote:
(Apr-17-2012, 11:25 AM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: She's nearly 18 and so I'm really quite powerless as to what she will/won't read. She has stated in the past that she's not keen on the old swords and castles and men in tights genre, though I can't think of a time when she's even tried to read anything from that genre, so that's a non-argument if you ask me. Like me, she can become quite obsessed (one only has to see her bedroom, dedicated to Harry Potter) and to that end, I told her how she would learn to adore Fitz and fool etc. just as I did. Stubborn child, she is, but I hold on to the hope that she'll be so desperate for something to read, she'll give in and go for it and then regret that she didn't listen to her mother earlier! P

My son is 8 and is way into Harry Potter, Eragon and LOTR, so I'm just dying to be able to hand him the Farseer trilogy. It will be a few years, yet, but I've been telling him all about the dragons (no fire, just poison), the different types of magic, etc...just priming the pump, so to speak! Can't wait to have someone in the family to talk to about this stuff.
See, that's what I wanted, someone in the family to talk about stuff. Surely she'll give in eventually...

it is on the topic of explaining RotE dragons to someone unfamiliar to the world...

RE: city of dragons character help - Farseer - Apr-19-2012

(Apr-19-2012, 12:54 AM (UTC))FoolishGirl Wrote: My son is 8 and is way into Harry Potter, Eragon and LOTR, so I'm just dying to be able to hand him the Farseer trilogy. It will be a few years, yet, but I've been telling him all about the dragons (no fire, just poison), the different types of magic, etc...just priming the pump, so to speak!

Prime away! They're never too young! My daughter (10) loves Fitz already. P

I know I've harped on about the books here lots of times before Blushing but give him Emily Rodda's Deltora Quest series to read. It would be considered a younger read than books such as HP, E and especially LotR but I have long loved it and so have my three offspring. He may too. There’s even a dragon named Veritas (or something Verity-y) in there somewhere in the second or third series! A good series to put young ones on the road to loving RotE stuff.

(Apr-19-2012, 01:07 AM (UTC))reecem27 Wrote: Queenslander... now there's the problem. Let me just get a spanner and fix that for you.

Just what we need here in thePlenty…a cockroach! Dodgy If only I’d known, reecem27, I’d never have been so welcoming! Knight

We had a discussion on friends over in the Newsgroup not that long ago – as in, ‘Who could you not have as a friend?’ Some said that they couldn’t ever be friends with a smoker or a bully or, as most of us said, a truly ‘mean’ person who ridiculed/hurt others deliberately (I think you'd all know the type). As well as the latter, I was also going to say that I could just never be friends with someone from New South Wales! Big Grin

(Apr-19-2012, 01:07 AM (UTC))reecem27 Wrote: Oh, wait... I'm sure the blues will do that in a few weeks.

Pft! I only have one thing to say…six in a row. Proud

(Apr-19-2012, 01:07 AM (UTC))reecem27 Wrote: I have no probs getting off topic, but the tights/leggings debate was detracting from my question about Malta

Given how I feel about Malta, I think I’d rather talk about leggings (or even soccer or fungus or belly button fluff) rather than her! Okay…that’s not quite true…I have come over to the dark side with the majority of you and think that maybe she’s not *so* bad now after all. She WAS a fair dinkum little cow who needed a good slapping though, and it’s good to know that Reyn is happy to remind her of it!

(Apr-19-2012, 01:07 AM (UTC))reecem27 Wrote: - who I'm sure would look smokin' in leggings.

Back in LST, I’d rather have seen her smokin’ on a pyre! P

(Apr-19-2012, 01:07 AM (UTC))reecem27 Wrote: You'll see me around here more often I'd say...

Uhhuh Oh, no! Say it isn’t so! I wonder what Mervi would say if she came back and saw:

Member: reecem27, Banned: permanently, Reason: Is a cockroach from NSW.

Big Grin Slurp

would it not be far more satisfying if it said "member: reecem27, Banned: weekly, ...."?

Hungry! Give meat!

RE: city of dragons character help - finella - Apr-20-2012

Hm Down, you went on and are far ahead of what I want to say to the topic "Malta" and stop reading CoD. Nevertheless ...Blushing :
hello reecem27 and also a warm welcome from me.
Hm, I can understand, that you don’t want to stop CoD right now, but honestly, you will really miss great reading stuff, having not read LST trilogy before. The Rainwild Chronicles are almost half fun, not knowing the background and not being able to put everything together. Robin weaves everything and everybody into such a wonderful net of a miracluous story, but one simply need to be familiar with the main figures and their developments. Malta is a „big“ and fundamental character (sorry Farseer P) and it would be a pity, not to know about her. Selden also is important, and so on and so on.
As Blood of Dragons won’t come out until next year, you therefore won’t be able to finish the complete story in any case . So you might as well stop right now to read LST in between. It’s absolutly marvellous stuff and the basis of all that happend in the Rainwild Chronicles. And you will enjoy it all the more.

RE: city of dragons character help - Farseer - Apr-20-2012

(Apr-20-2012, 10:48 AM (UTC))finella Wrote: Malta is a „big“ and fundamental character (sorry Farseer P) and it would be a pity, not to know about her.

Ouch I'm not sure about "a pity" but, there's no denying it (as much as I would love to! P ), she does have a significant role to play! Down

Big Grin

(Apr-20-2012, 10:48 AM (UTC))finella Wrote: As Blood of Dragons won’t come out until next year, you therefore won’t be able to finish the complete story in any case . So you might as well stop right now to read LST in between.

Ah, now *there's* a good point! Clapping