thePlenty.net Forums
city of dragons character help - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: city of dragons character help (/thread-444.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: city of dragons character help - reecem27 - Apr-23-2012

Too late to stop! I finished it on Saturday. Unlike DK and DH, this one was left so wide open for a follow up I actually felt a little disappointed to not have any resolutions at all. Off to the library to read LST...

Cockroaches, canetoads... Origin is just a good excuse to go to work on Thursday with a hangover. I don't care that the maroons have won six in a row really. But it does show that some clubs make wiser investments on rookies from QLD.

One question that begs asking is about the timeline of when Fitz was in the map room at Kelsingra...
In the tawny man books, there was only 'word' that the serpents hatched as stunted dragons and that they were making an expedition up the RWR. It's almost as Alise just missed him.
Also, if Kelsingra is so heavily crafted with the skill, why didn't Fitz have the ability to use the city to aid him, when merely the memories of Sintara was enough to waken it.
Thoughts?

RE: city of dragons character help - 'thul - Apr-23-2012

the farseer books were set up to a decade or so before the liveship books, which were set similarly before the Tawny Man books, who again were set 6-7 years or so before the rain wild chronicles. (Farseer will no doubt have more exact numbers on hand)

The thing about kelsingra is that although elderlings could use the city, it was designed to work for dragons. Only the return of dragonkind would bring the city to full life.
Fitz, although somewhat trained in the skill and with limited wit training, lacked the full natural abilities of Elderlings and he was human, not dragon.

RE: city of dragons character help - Provost - Apr-24-2012

Quite by chance, dramatic new evidence on the subject of leggings has come up. So I'll post this and shut up about it. P

Assassin's Quest

RE: city of dragons character help - fool-ish - Apr-24-2012

(Apr-24-2012, 05:36 AM (UTC))Provost Wrote: Quite by chance, dramatic new evidence on the subject of leggings has come up. So I'll post this and shut up about it. P

Assassin's Quest
Indeed...baggy knees, not to mention other places! There is mention of trousers, leggings and fool wearing hose. So, from that I deduct that trousers are fairly loose, leggings less so (erring on the tight side) and hose would be proper leg clingers! P

And while I'm at it, yellow leggings are just wrong. They put me in mind of big bird from Sesame Street.

RE: city of dragons character help - Valarya - May-07-2012

(Apr-17-2012, 01:25 AM (UTC))reecem27 Wrote: I'm a massive fan of RH's novels and don't want to stop reading CoD just to learn Malta's story in depth so can anyone do a quick summary of Malta's, Reyn's and Selden's relevance to the Liveship traders? (Not concerned about spoilers... it's all about the journey).

I got to your post here on page 1 of this thread and I can't go any further!!! Crying

If you love RH's novels so much then you are doing yourself a massive disservice by NOT reading the Liveship Traders. As much as I love love love Fitz and the Fool, the Liveship Traders trilogy is, by far, my favorite RH work. Also, you can't think of these books in this world as separate trilogies. At all.

There are 13 books in total, and they MUST be read in order. You have skipped books 4, 5 & 6. Uhhuh It is such a HUGE part of the entire story, including a lot of events that happen to Fitz/Fool in Tawny Man!! Trust me.

Put down City of Dragons. Put it all down. Go back from the beginning and read it in order. Book This just hurts me. Crying Crying Crying

But, you know.. welcome to ThePlenty. Surrender

RE: city of dragons character help - Valarya - May-07-2012

OK, I finally read the rest of the thread and glad I did so. Had quite a few laughs, LOL.

(Apr-17-2012, 08:27 PM (UTC))Provost Wrote: The 'thul beings searched three books in a minute and a half? There must be more of them than anyone suspected.

Or a few handy .pdf copies on his computer with the file find feature. P

(Apr-17-2012, 11:42 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: However, I'd surmise that Fitz had a fine pair of pins that would look good in anything...or nothing

Wub Here, here!!!! Toohot

(Apr-19-2012, 10:18 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Given how I feel about Malta, I think I’d rather talk about leggings (or even soccer or fungus or belly button fluff) rather than her! .......... She WAS a fair dinkum little cow who needed a good slapping though, and it’s good to know that Reyn is happy to remind her of it!

(Apr-19-2012, 01:07 AM (UTC))reecem27 Wrote: - who I'm sure would look smokin' in leggings.

Back in LST, I’d rather have seen her smokin’ on a pyre!

Hahah, I wish there were an emoticon with a little face rolling back & forth in pure mirth. Malta *has* changed but when I think of her early years, I wish nothing but evil things for her.

Oh oh! I don't know which one would be best to express the hilarity from your posts about Malta, but that's how I felt when reading them. xD

[Image: rofl.gif]

or

[Image: smiley_rofl.gif]

or

[Image: rofl1.gif]

RE: city of dragons character help - fool-ish - May-07-2012

Yes indeed, Farseer likes Malta very much StirringWink

She was a right cowbag though and if I'm truthful, I wasn't overly fond of her mother either

RE: city of dragons character help - 'thul - May-07-2012

Her mother annoyed 'thul more than Malta ever did. But then, Malta adopted the right attitude. Eventually.

RE: city of dragons character help - Farseer - May-08-2012

(May-07-2012, 08:44 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: Yes indeed, Farseer likes Malta very much StirringWink

Much...yes... 22 Big Grin

(May-07-2012, 08:44 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: She was a right cowbag though and if I'm truthful, I wasn't overly fond of her mother either

Keffria? Don't even get me started on her... Mad I think I have successfully avoided a Keffria rant thus far...

(May-07-2012, 06:51 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: Also, you can't think of these books in this world as separate trilogies. At all.

Exactly. ^ That! Proud RotE readers need to shed this "trilogy" and "now not a trilogy" thinking. It's just one, long bedtime story....one night Mum's tired so we only get a couple of pages, the next night she's overdosed on coffee so we get a couple of hours, the next night she's dead on her feet and goes to bed so we have to wait and mull/go back over the night before's story in our head...the size of the chunks of storytelling doesn't change the fact that the story is one story. Neither is the introduction of new places and people from that world....tonight Mum is going to tell us a fantasy story based on our Australian history and she's only going to tell about the 'Australia' part...the next night she's going to extend the borders and tell the 'Britain' part and how that meshes with our part...

Yup, all the same tale. If you miss a chunk, you miss a chunk of the whole telling eg you fell asleep Sleeping while Mum was in the midst of a naval tale of swashbuckling proportions that linked significantly to the part of the story that you stayed awake the whole night for, three nights ago. Joker Pirate Knight Tsk, tsk.

RE: city of dragons character help - Farseer - May-08-2012

(Apr-23-2012, 02:24 AM (UTC))reecem27 Wrote: Too late to stop! I finished it on Saturday. Unlike DK and DH, this one was left so wide open for a follow up I actually felt a little disappointed to not have any resolutions at all. Off to the library to read LST...

Great! Feel free to jump into all of the other LST conversations around the place when you're done!

(Apr-23-2012, 02:24 AM (UTC))reecem27 Wrote: One question that begs asking is about the timeline of when Fitz was in the map room at Kelsingra...
In the tawny man books, there was only 'word' that the serpents hatched as stunted dragons and that they were making an expedition up the RWR. It's almost as Alise just missed him.

Tsk, tsk...I knew there was something in this thread I had planned to get back to! Down I know I started so likely there's a Word doc around somewhere that I just haven't cut and pasted to here. Off to see where I'm up to with that... Detective

(Apr-23-2012, 02:24 AM (UTC))reecem27 Wrote: Also, if Kelsingra is so heavily crafted with the skill, why didn't Fitz have the ability to use the city to aid him, when merely the memories of Sintara was enough to waken it.
Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure I covered this, too. *Arnie voice* I'll be back...