thePlenty.net Forums
What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? (/thread-446.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - Darustman - Apr-22-2012

Forgive any blundering newness and ettiquette clumsiness, I am new here and not quite sure where my entry point is. The ships then: Are they schooners? Are they more like ships like The Victory or The Warrior?
Thanks in advance. x

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - 'thul - Apr-22-2012

interesting question...

that has never been made entirely clear.
Most likely (beyond the obvious differences) they most likely do not quite match any Tellus ship class.

They are considerably larger than longships (as the designs for the six duchies warships are basically). Since they are pre-cannon era, they cannot be extremely large. They are deep-draught and have several cabins as well as at least one deck. Thus they have to be decently sized.
Since there's not made any point of them being in possession of multiple internal decks, they are not too tall.
It would appear, though not entirely conclusively, to only have one mast, maybe two. Thus, they might match schooners in size. Hard to say though. Their development ship-tech-wise is obviously above that of pre-cannon ships on Tellus, yet there are no cannons.
Galleys were sufficient to be a menace, so they can't likely be like the greater schooners. (more than 3 masts)

the Captain of the Ophelia speaks of carrying "a" spare mast. 'thul would guess that multi-masted ships might likely carry multiple spare masts, though the need is not as great when there are no cannons to easily shoot out the mast.

RE: What kind of ships? - Read Engineered - Darustman - Apr-24-2012

Thank you tons for that. I was kind of hoping that some the artists who have had a bash at drawing or painting their ships had constructed their works from meticulous details gleened from reading, a la your quote from Oephelia, "spare masts!" I gave you a 2d question and you gave me a 3d answer. I shall now go and do some back-foot research.

Cheers!

Book

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - 'thul - Apr-24-2012

these beings think in 3D most of the time. They naturally try to make a 3D model in their minds.

Unfortunately RH appears not to have studied ship carpentry to any detailed level, thus most the details needed to model such ships properly are missing.

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - Farseer - Apr-24-2012

(Apr-22-2012, 05:09 PM (UTC))Darustman Wrote: Forgive any blundering newness and ettiquette clumsiness, I am new here and not quite sure where my entry point is. The ships then: Are they schooners? Are they more like ships like The Victory or The Warrior?
Thanks in advance. x

Well met and welcome Darustman! Slurp I did read this when it was first posted but time was ticking...

I also thought it was a terrific question! Boat

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - 'thul - Apr-25-2012

anyone writing longer texts will generalize on details they do not know enough about and either can't or just don't research deeply into. Typically those areas are the ones that are of less interest. RH appears to have some interest in making sure that her dragons have the natural physical ability to fly, describing the parts of this in detail. Whereas other authors either just say. "they can fly" or "magic aids them".

oh, and on the topic of non-RH dragons... What do you call a dead dragon (of the fire-breathing sort), no matter if it is male or female?

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - Darustman - Apr-25-2012

Wow, thank you guys.

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - fool-ish - Apr-25-2012

(Apr-25-2012, 12:43 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: anyone writing longer texts will generalize on details they do not know enough about and either can't or just don't research deeply into. Typically those areas are the ones that are of less interest. RH appears to have some interest in making sure that her dragons have the natural physical ability to fly, describing the parts of this in detail. Whereas other authors either just say. "they can fly" or "magic aids them".

oh, and on the topic of non-RH dragons... What do you call a dead dragon (of the fire-breathing sort), no matter if it is male or female?
Gon? Sorry Blushing

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - 'thul - Apr-25-2012

Nope.
These beings will not post the answer yet, so others may guess as well...

However, there is a single correct answer.

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - Mervi - Apr-29-2012

This is a really good question. I'd suggest someone take it to the newsgroup and ask Robin, as I would be surprised if she doesn't have some kind of an answer (coming from a seafaring family, after all). It could of course be that the ships in that universe do not completely follow the "rules" of our world so they might have different names for different types.