thePlenty.net Forums
What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? (/thread-446.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - 'thul - Apr-29-2012

Probably the only way to get answers of a satisfactory nature.

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - Darustman - Apr-29-2012

True! Also there seems to be several periods of history where ship technology had a stop-start thing going on, if stories of Roman fleets are to be believed. So yeah, her ships are perfectly entitled to have their own evolution from tech, histroy and in her case, magic, of course.

I love that image of Paragon on a beach on one of the editions of 'Madship's', the one where Amber is with him. That has kind of informed my roundabout image of all the ships.

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - Farseer - Apr-30-2012

Darustman, if you did feel that you wanted to ask Robin about it all, you can go here to her Newsgroup to ask. Just start a new thread with the 'Start Thread' button, ask your question just as you have here and be warmly welcomed at 'Robin's Kitchen Table'. Slurp You don't have to be a member of sff.net to be a part of the group.

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - Valarya - May-07-2012

(Apr-29-2012, 11:42 AM (UTC))Darustman Wrote: I love that image of Paragon on a beach on one of the editions of 'Madship's', the one where Amber is with him. That has kind of informed my roundabout image of all the ships.

Are you talking about the John Howe one!? It's one of my favorite artist renditions of Hobb's work! I love John Howe (lotr's, hello). Lol

[Image: The-Mad-Ship-port.jpg]

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - fool-ish - May-07-2012

I, too love this picture of Paragon and Amber Wub I'm quite happy with John Howe's work on Farseer etc. with the exception of his depiction of Fitz...that is just not my Fitz, at all! Undecided

As for kinds of ships, I've no idea. In fact, I know nothing about them. I had to ask my husband where certain parts of the ships were when they were mentioned in LST...duh! Blushing

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - Valarya - May-07-2012

(May-07-2012, 08:07 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: As for kinds of ships, I've no idea. In fact, I know nothing about them. I had to ask my husband where certain parts of the ships were when they were mentioned in LST...duh! Blushing

Tee hee.. I googled the parts of a ship and spent a few hours studying different labeled diagrams so I could get a good grasp of where what was when reading. (Woah, tongue tie. P )

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - fool-ish - May-07-2012

(May-07-2012, 08:17 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote:
(May-07-2012, 08:07 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: As for kinds of ships, I've no idea. In fact, I know nothing about them. I had to ask my husband where certain parts of the ships were when they were mentioned in LST...duh! Blushing

Tee hee.. I googled the parts of a ship and spent a few hours studying different labeled diagrams so I could get a good grasp of where what was when reading. (Woah, tongue tie. P )
I'm gonna give that a go next time P

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - londonlassie - Aug-28-2012

(Apr-22-2012, 07:25 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: interesting question...

Since they are pre-cannon era, they cannot be extremely large.

Now I am incredibly ignorant of nautical terminology and can barely tell a foredeck from an afterdeck, so this is a question as much as a suggestion.

"...it was actually well before dawn when Sorcor ordered the sweeps out." - page 284, "Of Derelicts And Slaveships", Ship Of Magic

Now in Pirates Of The Caribbean, Barbossa says "Run out the sweeps", and what the men run out are undoubtedly cannons of a sort. So are there two nautical meanings for "sweeps", or did all the ships actually have some form of firepower?

Or did the non-sentient pirate ships have them, but not the Liveships? This seems unlikely, since Traders would have more money to fit their ships with defense mechanisms than pirates.

Other than this instance or them being mentioned, I can't remember any other occasion in which any of the ships engaged in anything but hand-to-hand combat. Uhhuh

This post probably makes no sense, it's just a thought I had while I was re-reading Ship Of Magic. Smiling

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - 'thul - Aug-28-2012

actually, that's a bit incorrect... "Sweeps" are a form of oar, typically on relatively small ships. on ships like the black pearl, the cannon doors are conveniently placed to use as openings for sweeps. on those without, there would usually be oarlocks.

as listed on definition of "sweep" on the free dictionary:
10. Nautical A long oar used to propel a boat.

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - londonlassie - Aug-28-2012

That makes far more sense.

Really, given how much I love Liveships, I should probably learn some nautical terms so I don't make these mistakes and so I have a vague idea where characters are when I'm reading the novels.

But I'm lazy and I have to do far too much learning at college as it is P

Thanks for the clear-up, 'thul beings!