thePlenty.net Forums
What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? (/thread-446.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - 'thul - Aug-29-2012

no problem

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - Farseer - Aug-30-2012

(Aug-28-2012, 08:31 PM (UTC))londonlassie Wrote: "...it was actually well before dawn when Sorcor ordered the sweeps out." - page 284, "Of Derelicts And Slaveships", Ship Of Magic

Now in Pirates Of The Caribbean, Barbossa says "Run out the sweeps", and what the men run out are undoubtedly cannons of a sort. So are there two nautical meanings for "sweeps", or did all the ships actually have some form of firepower?

Other than this instance or them being mentioned, I can't remember any other occasion in which any of the ships engaged in anything but hand-to-hand combat. Uhhuh

I recall a long ago conversation with the beings known as 'thul (well, it was a debate that I thought I was doing quite nicely in for a time, actually!) where I slipped cannons into LST by accident. What can I say? I got caught up in the moment and thrill of the debate and, for a second there, after reading this post, I thought I was being vindicated! P

Now where was that debate? I think it may have been in the Voyages of Discovery thread? Ah, good times when time allowed for a good debate or two Pirate Knight , even when the facts brought into the debate were actually ficticious! Wink

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - 'thul - Aug-30-2012

These beings find such discussion quite plausible. You have on occasion slipped such things in, farseer... be they mistaken facts or wishful thinking... These beings enjoy puncturing holes in such... Ain't that nice?

(cake certainly is good to eat. that's for sure)

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - londonlassie - Aug-30-2012

(Aug-30-2012, 01:36 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: (cake certainly is good to eat. that's for sure)

I'm not entirely sure how cake comes into the situation, but I have to agree with you there, 'thul beings. Slurp

(Aug-30-2012, 12:42 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote:
(Aug-28-2012, 08:31 PM (UTC))londonlassie Wrote: "...it was actually well before dawn when Sorcor ordered the sweeps out." - page 284, "Of Derelicts And Slaveships", Ship Of Magic

Now in Pirates Of The Caribbean, Barbossa says "Run out the sweeps", and what the men run out are undoubtedly cannons of a sort. So are there two nautical meanings for "sweeps", or did all the ships actually have some form of firepower?

Other than this instance or them being mentioned, I can't remember any other occasion in which any of the ships engaged in anything but hand-to-hand combat. Uhhuh

I recall a long ago conversation with the beings known as 'thul (well, it was a debate that I thought I was doing quite nicely in for a time, actually!) where I slipped cannons into LST by accident. What can I say? I got caught up in the moment and thrill of the debate and, for a second there, after reading this post, I thought I was being vindicated! P

Aw, darnit Farseer! At least I'm not the only one who thought, at least once (or all along in my case) that LST had cannons! Pirate

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - 'thul - Aug-30-2012

it doesn't. These beings were eating cake at the time of that post, though.

RE: What kind of ships are Vivacia, Paragon etc? - fool-ish - Aug-30-2012

(Aug-30-2012, 02:32 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: it doesn't. These beings were eating cake at the time of that post, though.

Mmm cake! I'm trying to lay off the cake in a vain attempt to keep the 'middle age spread' at bay! Truly, there's nowt down for gettin' old!